Air lift for gen 3

offthepath

Adventurer
Im getting ready to get an OME lift kit and was going to do airbags at the same time. I thought I bookmarked a thread where someone documented putting air bags on a gen 3, but now I can't find it.......All I can find online is air bags for gen 2's or montero sports.

Thanks

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I can send a full set of pics later. It was easy. I can list the part number. You have to use the "build your own" feature to get a kit. It will be different if you are running OME springs. The basic kit includes everything you need. The only trick on the Gen 3/ 3.5 is that you have to mount the air bags upside-down so there is a place for the air line to run. The other part of that is if you route the air line down out of the bottom of the lower suspension arm it could be damaged when driving offroad if you hit bushes or rocks. To solve this I made a 3-8" hole in the lower A-arm on the rear and put the line through that. Then I just ran the lines back to the bumper and secured the fill valve stems. I will post pics.

Last edited:

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Thanks if you have some pics Id appreciate it.

Im assuming you used a universal kit like this?

https://www.airliftcompany.com/workshop/air-lift-1000-universal-air-spring-kit/

Yes I measured the inside width and height according to their instructions. Once I knew what kit to get I looked for it on Amazon and ordered it through whoever had it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018O94RPM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Worked perfectly. It was about $110.00 at my door.
AirBagMan out of Australia has a youtube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHk0tzzzgI4
which is useful but leaves out several things such as how you run the air line out of the top of the springs back to where you mount the filler valves. I am not sure if the Pajero they are using is different from my Gen 3 but I found on the top of my rear coils that there was a large pointed bolt that protrudes down into the coil which would puncture the air bag if left unaltered. To work around this the Air Lift kit (the American company with link you posted, NOT the Aussie company for the link I posted) supplies 4 plastic discs to place at the top and bottom of the spring to allow for a smooth surface for the airbag to inflate. Because of the pointed bolt and the spacer I put mine in upside down which allowed me to use an existing hole in the plastic disc to run the air line from the bag and then through the lower A arm and back to the bumper area. It ended up really clean. I have had it on there for a few months and it works great. I will take some pics and post them once the sun comes up. I am sure someone is thinking that drilling a hole in the lower A arm will result in Montero Armageddon but I assure you it is a small hole on a large piece of steel and I was willing to take a calculated risk. No sign of any problem. I also wrapped a few layers of duct tape where the hose runs through the hole to prevent wear on the hose due to rubbing or vibration. I keep a small air compressor in my vehicle in the 3rd row storage bin which now holds my tools and some recovery gear. This way I can add air anytime I carry an extra few hundred pounds to level out the truck.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Looking under at the right rear suspension.
IMG_3608.jpg
The filler valves mounted on the right rear bumper. There is room for the rear door to swing all the way open and nothing gets in the way. Looks pretty clean so I am happy with it.
IMG_3607.jpg
Air lines underneath. I just routed them from the airbags up to the undercarriage and zip-tied them to several points to make sure the lines don't flop around and then back up under the right rear bumper.
IMG_3609.jpg

offthepath

Adventurer
Thanks, just what I was looking for.

So does anyone have any input on which OME springs to get? I plan on running a winch upfront (no bumper though,) should I go with the standard or heavy duty springs? OME lists the heavy duty for loads between 115-215lbs, so Id be on the light side of that. Im not sure if heavy duty would be too harsh, but also not sure if the standard would sag too much????

Hi Offroad,

I'm on the cusp of buying the universal kit from airlift, as you did, to level my 2003 gen 3 when pulling the boat.

Can you tell me which part number you ordered and whether that was for the stock springs or not?

In another post you linked to the 60917 part. But that is 10 inches tall according to their table which seems too tall.

When measuring my inside spring height I get 7.5 up to the pointy bolt and maybe another 1.5 up to the very top.

Which size did you order for yours?

Thanks!!!

jaccox23

Adventurer
Hi Offroad,

I'm on the cusp of buying the universal kit from airlift, as you did, to level my 2003 gen 3 when pulling the boat.

Can you tell me which part number you ordered and whether that was for the stock springs or not?

In another post you linked to the 60917 part. But that is 10 inches tall according to their table which seems too tall.

When measuring my inside spring height I get 7.5 up to the pointy bolt and maybe another 1.5 up to the very top.

Which size did you order for yours?

Thanks!!!
I cannot confirm on the Gen 3 but when I got my airlift company ones for the 2nd gen montero they were universal as they fit both the montero and also Chevy trucks. But to fit the chevy trucks it came with a 1.5" spacer block which the instructions said to leave out for montero application. However I installed 1.5" lift springs so I did install the 1.5" spacer block and it fits like a glove.

plh

Explorer
I did OME mediums - no winch. Already swapped my rear shocks from KYBs after 5k miles on them to Bilsteins. Love the KYBs in my Gen 1 and Gen 3, but really stiff/harsh in the Gen 3 - Bilsteins are a huge improvement. I'll be doing the front swap to Bilsteins soon as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier