Air Tools with PowerTank?

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
What air tools can be run with Powertanks or similar? Presuming the appropriate (factory standard) regulator is being used.

Do they have to be rated for the cold temps of CO2 or can they be standard tools? I am thinking primarily of an impact wrench, but feel free to comment on any other tools as well.

Thanks,
:sombrero:
Ed

rgsiii

Observer
They work, it is not an economical way of doing it except in a pinch. It really seems to use up the CO2.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
rgsiii said:
They work, it is not an economical way of doing it except in a pinch. It really seems to use up the CO2.

:iagree:

I have used nail guns - 1/2" drive and 3/8" drive impact wrenches - in a pinch it is nice - but the CO2 does get used up quick :eatchicke

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
No, no...I wouldn't use this at home. I have a compressor for that. The only tools I might use on the trail would be an impact wrench/hammer...that's about all I can think of with my level of skill.

But I don't want to connect my current impact/air tools and have it freeze up or something...

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Just something to consider Ed, but we just used Scott's ExtremeAir compressor the other day with an impact wrench and it worked great. He just used an extra long coil of air hose to act as a "reservoir" for a little extra air to build up. So we used it without even having an air tank. Once pressure was built in the hose (maybe 30' of hose?) it was good for a few good zips, then the compressor would get the hose pumped back up. If you had a small tank it would work even better.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I used to carry an air ratchet. It speeds up disasembly/assembly, but doesn't use the volume of air an impact does. I lubed it regularly w/ oil since CO2 tends to freeze things. Since I got a shop compressor, I haven't been carrying the ratchet in the truck - prolly should get it back in the rig prior to the Payson run.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Not to divert from Ed's idea, what about using electric impact tools through a power inverter on board? Is that a viable option, as well?

Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz