Aircraft track Tie Downs

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
That looks good in black ! That might solve my issue; installation on the sides of the back, but on the outside... Are there any other types of track inserts other than just the tie-down rings ?

Hi Charlie,

I am interested in using them externally, as well. Have you had any corrosion issues with them ?

(to hold the weight of two spares and all those jerry cans, they certainly must be sturdy...)

Thanks.

Absolutely no corrosion after 4 years.
The tires are heavy (~220 lb each) but remember there's a high coeffcient of friction between rubber and the traction painted roof. The main stress is the tightness of the ratchet strap.
And so far I've never filled the jerrycans. There's little need with 162 gal fuel tanks down below but I had the space and empty they are light and on their side they are the same height as the tires....

Charlie

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Thanks, Charlie ! I guess for their size, those tires are light ;) These tracks sure are appealing. I like the versatility :)

ThomD

Explorer
That looks good in black ! That might solve my issue; installation on the sides of the back, but on the outside... Are there any other types of track inserts other than just the tie-down rings ?

Some track manufacturers offer screw down clamps. This is Core's example, a double nut setup.

Stud%20set%2010.jpg

I'm using something like this for the Thule fork mounts. Good for light duty jobs. I've removed the nut shown and I'm using a threaded knob.

31823-03-200.jpg

Honu

lost on the mainland
Some track manufacturers offer screw down clamps. This is Core's example, a double nut setup.

Stud%20set%2010.jpg

I'm using something like this for the Thule fork mounts. Good for light duty jobs. I've removed the nut shown and I'm using a threaded knob.

31823-03-200.jpg

I have not seen those nut setups before but wanted them really bad after seeing some of the South Africa racks that use that kind of setup

VanGo

Explorer
Mac's VerseTie track

Not trying to hijack this thread just adding to the database!

Not trying to hijack this thread just adding to the database! I used the 1-4' VT kit and 1-2' VT kit and secured the tracks to my recently constructed cargo deck finished with herculiner. I wanted the conviences of loading gear in any arrangement necessary and the peace of mind of a secure, uncompromised, cargo load. I tried to keep all my gear in 2- pelican 1610 cases, which have wheels and easily slide in and out of the rig. Removing the second rows offers over 72" of comfort once a second deck is added. Overall, I am really happy with the end results. As it has been said- "Only One Way, Not The Only Way".....

Last edited:

mires

Adventurer
Any insight on how these are typically installed? Is there a backing plate meaning I would have to access the underside of the body?

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Any insight on how these are typically installed? Is there a backing plate meaning I would have to access the underside of the body?

My tracks came with backing plates, they are the same length as the track.

If you're tying down heavy stuff, you don't want the track ripping out:Wow1:

I used mine on the rear fenderwells of my CJ, so it was very easy to install the tracks w/backers.

mires

Adventurer
My tracks came with backing plates, they are the same length as the track.

If you're tying down heavy stuff, you don't want the track ripping out:Wow1:

I used mine on the rear fenderwells of my CJ, so it was very easy to install the tracks w/backers.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping to mount a couple of one foot sections under my rear seat when flipped up so that I can tie down an action packer there. I doubt I will have access to that area from under the vehicle. I'll double check some time when it's not 25 degrees out :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior