Alaska 2009

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Excellent write up! I like the log feel of it. Had to leave a note since I read the whole thing!

Carlyle

Explorer
Thanks for the awesome write up Fisher205! I just finished reading from start to finish and I'm now dreaming about Alaska/northern BC and how to get the time off work to spend a few months to do the trip.

A few points:

Where is the best fishing?

Its' awesome that your Alaskan is twenty five years hold and still in one piece, so many campers out there will never last ten years, let alone twenty five years.

Consider Hella map lights for reading, they are slick.

Will you email some of your pictures to me?

You should do an article for truck camper magazine, they would love to hear from you.

If you want to splurge, Atwood makes a digital thermostat you can set and walk away from at 55 degrees. A catalytic heater would also make your life easier as it has no power draw on your batteries.

Any good ideas on insulating the cabover? I'm considering a snap on insulating strip or just a long sock along the edge. Your thought?

Thanks again

Carl

fisher205

Explorer
Kari, It felt good to be back home. I wasn't ready to even do a long weekend over Labor Day of camping. It's now been 4 month's and I did one weekend of camping and really ready to do another trip. Must quit reading the travel section of the forum.

Carl, If you shouldn't ask me about the best fishing. I obiously didn't have a clue. Late in the trip I did find the book "Highway Angler" by Gunnar Pedersen and it was a good reference. If your there duing the Salmon runs I would recommend getting some egg patterns for the Rainbows and Dolly varden. I was using Royal Wulf and Coachman on the Grayling in the Yukon.

I will check out the Hella map lights. I am currently all fluorescents.
I'm not familiar with Truck Camper Magazine. will have to check it out. Most of the time the truck camper guys seem to be more about slideouts, and comfort camping (not that I have anything against comfort). But my rig is somewhat spartan on purpose.

The current thermostat is an Atwood. I am looking to go lower than 55. If I can conserve fuel I can stay out longer. I had an Olympia 4 but pulled it out due to worries over CO buildup and moisture. It also was slow to heat the camper up.
I am thinking about reinstalling it as a supplemental heater. With as much air as my old camper leaks, CO probably isn't an issue. How has yours been for fuel usage?
The newer Alaskans are sealed up much better than mine. I redid my insulation after looking at one of the newer ones. But I used some of the foam that goes around window mounted air conditioners to stuff in the side gap. You should be able to find it at any hardware store.

We should start a ideas for Alaskans thread since there are getting to be a lot of them here. Especially older models.

XXX glad you enjoyed, After reading your blog I was ready to go buy a Cherokee and start traveling. - Brad

what a beautiful trip. i could only imagine doing something like this sometime in my life... maybe when the boy gets older i'll do it with him.

thank you for sharing!

Jferg

Observer
A great read. I remember my trip to the Yukon and Alaska of 30 years ago. I am off to relive that trip again this June. I'll be travelling up the Dempster Highway to the Arctic Ocean rather than the Dalton Highway.

Jferg

Observer
Please take many pictures and share it with us! :wings:

I plan on taking my computer with me so I can download my pictures off my camera and then e-mail the pictures home. Is there any particular way pictures have to be uploaded on to this forum?

briones76

Awesome writeup! I can only imagine about taking a trip like this. One day I will though. Thanks for the great stories and pictures. I leave for my 1st big trip this summer to the 4 corners and hope to do some fly fishing myself while im out there. Thanks again

C-Fish

Adventurer
Excellent journal of your encounters...I have been to AK three times on business. Each visit was one week.

I logged ~1400 miles each trip on the rental car just to take in the amazing scenery AK has to offer. I visited in June/July for three summers (2001, 2002, 2003).

I WILL make a trek like yours someday.

Once again, thanks for your recount, it brings back some very nice memories for me...:ylsmoke:

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Try and did up some old pictures

In the summer of 1973 I spent 3 months in central Alaska as a construction worker, Ambulance driver and jail warden. Was able to visit some of the spots you went to. I'll try and did up some of the old photos, scan them and post them so you can see how much has changed.

The road into McCarthy and the Kennicott mines was a real challange with several deep river crossings. The final crossing just outside the town was where we had to park our vehicles and pull ourselves across the river in a small cart suspended by a single steel cable and two pullys. :Wow1:

Thanks for sharing so much personal experiences and great photos,

Fred
Explorer 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier