Alaskan Camper Build Up

PopRoid

Evening Carlyle: Thanks for the reply on the Platcat and again your Alaskan build is documented so well I'm using it to design our 10' Alaskan Cabover. I don't want to overwhelm you with questions every day so I'll ask a couple and then toss them back to Bryan Wheat on our build to be delivered April/May 2018 for his comments.

Solar: What do you recommend at this time ? I've read your source list extensively and wonder if you would do that all over again? Did Bryan install all the solar items and if so how were they sourced by him or you ? Batteries-would 3 Energy1 AGM 220 amp be enough ? Panels- 160 Watt and how many ? Can you identify in detail you build on solar or should I just tell Bryan to follow your order ?

Refrigerator: Is there room for a 5.8 cu ft Novakool in a 10' Cabover ?

Insulation: I know about the additional floor insulation offering from Alaskan but how did you manage to squeeze more insulation in the walls and ceiling? Seems like somewhere in your thread I read you managed to get one inch more of additional insulation.

Windows: Does Alaskan have double pane windows or can they be ordered ?

Water Heater: Electronic ignition still your preferred here ? I've had plenty of problems with pilot lights going out so this is a welcome upgrade.

Platcat: From what I read you are happy with it. Any oxygen depletion issues ? Safety concerns with bedding/clothing coming in contact with the face of the Platcat ? Do you ventilate when using it ? I've read so much confusing information on the Platcat it's awesome to speak with someone who has actually used one. Would the larger Platcat take the place of the standard forced air heater ?

Lagun table system: Are you happy with this vs the table from Alaskan that is stored in the ceiling? What would you say is the maximum size table one could mount on the Lagun frame and did Bryan make the table top for you or ?

We have to haul around 4 monitors and a PC system so my wife can read x-rays (radiologist) at remote locations and our thought is could this be done in an Alaskan in a pinch if we can figure out bandwidth ? Alternatively, we might just take out one dinette seat and use it for storage or maybe a work station. The Lagun system intrigues me greatly. As we are empty nesters now we can be anywhere and work any shifts/any weeks we want...thus the questions about the Alaskan.

How did you manage a 45 gal water tank in the Alaskan ?

GEEZ...I'll stop with the questions tonight and hope I haven't worn out my welcome here but in my experience with the Alaskan you are a rare bird indeed on yours.

Again....many thanks for listening. Who knows maybe we will meet up some day on the road.

All the best.

Carlyle

Explorer
I have a single brand new 275/75-R20 for sale. Too small for my truck now. Your gain and my loss!

$150 plus shipping or local pickup in Colorado. UPS will take this tire, btw.

Thanks!

PopRoid

I think I read on your original Alaskan you had Yakima tracks/bars on it. If so what landing pads did you use ? Any problems with the roof curvature ? Overall, did you like the Yakima system ? Thanks !!!

lostih

Observer
Hi Carlyle. I'm trying to decide between 275's and 335's for my 5500 build. Would you mind sharing some of your thoughts on why you upsized? Any chance I can get you to post a before and after pic with the two different sizes? Have you been happy with life of the MPT's? What speeds do you travel at on the hiway? I've read your entire thread and you and HealeyJet have got me into the 5500 :) I might be interested in that spare you have too...

java

Expedition Leader
Hi Carlyle. I'm trying to decide between 275's and 335's for my 5500 build. Would you mind sharing some of your thoughts on why you upsized? Any chance I can get you to post a before and after pic with the two different sizes? Have you been happy with life of the MPT's? What speeds do you travel at on the hiway? I've read your entire thread and you and HealeyJet have got me into the 5500 :) I might be interested in that spare you have too...

Bump! I have the same questions. Seem like you may be overloading and over speeding the tires which causes the blow outs. Thoughts?

Chorky

Observer
QsEMXIw.jpg

Any updates there Carlyle? Looks like it's been a while. Nice build(s)! Curious to hear how longevity of the truck and camper have been with it being spring mounted.

Carlyle

Explorer
Here is a list of the current work that has been done to the truck and camper

2012 Dodge 5500 Laramie chassis cab with approx 75k
Chassis extension to allow long flatbed
Aluminess Custom Front Bumper with PIAA fog and driving Lights
Warn 16.5ti winch with remote
14.5' custom flatbed with articulating spring to allow flex away from chassis
Complete emissions and def delete with tune by Wicked Rigs
4" spring left by 1st Attack
20" Super Singles with Continental MPT81 335/80-20 tires
Inside rear seating converted professionally to storage