Aliner/Chalet Off Road

Vantage

Adventurer
Hey everyone,

I recently sold my Kamparoo Weekender (excellent trailer for off road use) to upgrade to a trailer with a few more amenities.

I have been looking at all kinds from Fibreglass (Bigfoot/Casita/Escape) trailers, to Aframe trailers.

The Fiberglass trailers seem to be a bit expensive for what you get, and most trailers in my price range are very run down.

That being said, I have seen a few Aframe trailers around my price range.

I have already searched and seen mixed reviews. Some people think Aliner/Chalet both make a great product. Some say Chalet is light years ahead.

Anyway, I have recently found a 2004 Aliner Scout for $5700

It is a basic type model with A fridge/heater but no water supply (which is a tad annoying). But the price is right, and it looks in good condition. I also noticed it has a leaf spring suspension, which I do not believe it stock.

Has anyone seen an older Aliner with leafs?

My main concern is off roading with the trailer. I do a lot of washboard roads and do not want to bend an axle or frame, and I do not want to rattle the interior apart.

Anyone have experience with a 2004 era Aliner?

Not a lot of information on Aframes to begin with, but these older models seem to be very tough to find reviews and info on.

Thanks in Advance.

Here is the link.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/rvs/4987051138.html

00i0i_94gKLWAJZAq_600x450.jpg

00z0z_a46Rmm44BwY_600x450.jpg

00J0J_Wj6g710ima_600x450.jpg

00Q0Q_lOgC3L1y7tV_600x450.jpg

brian90744

American Trekker
Is'nt that a water fill on the left rear next to the marker light?? To nice for off-roading, better @ camp grounds. just my FYI=brian

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Are you pulling with the old gen VW Jetta?

Maybe start with your tow machine that would help folks offer ideas.
Cricket trailer would be my suggestion lighter than the plywood RV's and built to handle rough roads with no low hanging fruit to get knocked off the bottom.
My current set up is a Life Time Tent trailer think Baby Jumping Jack we just did a quick weekend trip. 22mpg average for 210 mile round trip in the 2.5L CVT Subaru Outback. Everything from very steep CA coastal range 35mph switch back roads to 65-70mph big highway speeds. In our case I purposely chose a trailer that was no where near the OB's upper range which is actually about 1800lbs given I spent years towing our 1800lb all up boat with it and our prior subaru.

Livinlit trailers the smaller one's would also be better for the rough roads than the typical RV trailers.

Vantage

Adventurer
I own a 2013 Tacoma 4x4.

The seller has the jetta.

Mike thanks for the Link, I shall commence reading.

Vantage

Adventurer
Are you pulling with the old gen VW Jetta?

Maybe start with your tow machine that would help folks offer ideas.
Cricket trailer would be my suggestion lighter than the plywood RV's and built to handle rough roads with no low hanging fruit to get knocked off the bottom.
My current set up is a Life Time Tent trailer think Baby Jumping Jack we just did a quick weekend trip. 22mpg average for 210 mile round trip in the 2.5L CVT Subaru Outback. Everything from very steep CA coastal range 35mph switch back roads to 65-70mph big highway speeds. In our case I purposely chose a trailer that was no where near the OB's upper range which is actually about 1800lbs given I spent years towing our 1800lb all up boat with it and our prior subaru.

Livinlit trailers the smaller one's would also be better for the rough roads than the typical RV trailers.

I am moving away from a Tent style Trailer.

I owned a Kamparoo weekender, and while it was nice and amazing offroad it lacked a few features I want now that I am getting older. We also camp a lot in inclement weather, and canvas must be aired out to prevent mold. A hard sided is a lot more forgiving with the mold.

NikonRon

Adventurer
I bought a Chalet Off Road 2004 model and it had leaf springs. It for sure needed to have shocks. It was a pretty decent camper. They are super quick to set up. Ron

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I am moving away from a Tent style Trailer.

I owned a Kamparoo weekender, and while it was nice and amazing offroad it lacked a few features I want now that I am getting older. We also camp a lot in inclement weather, and canvas must be aired out to prevent mold. A hard sided is a lot more forgiving with the mold.

Understandable. Keep in mind the fewer large moving parts structurally the better when dragging a hard sided trailer down a rough road. I know that the airliners are very popular and seem to have a cult following and are very hard to find used. Though I would probably be pretty leery of using one for rough road given the large moving parts of the roof and hard sides. I'd lean more in the direction of the livinlite small trailer where you only have door frames to worry about. Our next rig will be less tent also to increase the months out of the year we could go places aka weather etc. I keep going full circle and ending up back at a truck with FWC set up. This seems to be the most flexible option given I could go sans trailer with toys and go places trailers are not allowed, plus having easy parking situation in busy towns when checking out foodie type places etc. That and not having to deal with trailer towing on certain trips where maybe a long drive is in play etc. Your one step ahead of me given you have the truck already ;-) I'm stuck with the daddy Mini van Sequoia for a few more years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior