Allision 3500 series transmission, transfer case options

rm6keith

I found a good deal on a GMC T7500. I like the power of the Isuzu 7.8l motor. My problem is not finding a suitable option for a Transfer Case behind the Allison 3000 & 3500 RDS/EVS series Transmissions. (The 3 available to me in Automatic).

Marmon Herringtion makes the T30 direct bolt on transfer case, but the only one I found was $18,000.

Some options would be another transmission that is common and currently 4x4 that I could source the transfer case that would take the power of the 7.8l Isuzu. But I feel the stock transmission already programmed for the vehicle may be easier. I am currently stumped on how to get a transfer case to the back of this engine/transmission combination.

I have searched the Forums and found nothing at all. I may not be searching correctly?

Any ideas to convert the T7500 to 4x4?

Thank you,
Keith

Grenadiers

Adventurer
How about a divorced transfer case? That’s what we have in our Saurer. But in our case, it’s attached to a divorced automatic transmission! Are there any similar trucks to yours already 4x4 to research?

rm6keith

Grenadiers,

I did think about the divorced Transfer Case, but wanted to see if there is a bolt on available. I read how some divorced transfer cases are 1100lbs. I am really only familiar with the NP205 and a little overwhelmed at which transfer cases would work for me. What model Transfer Case are you using?

I see the Rockwell T1138 Transfer case and T138 divorced transfer cases are available for 5 ton trucks. (military surplus mostly). I do not mind some manufacturing for a Divorced Transfer case, but getting a T case I am not familiar with is a little intimidating. I am hoping for some direction on which models I should be leaning towards.
Keith

Last edited:

SootyCamper

Wonder what kind of parts interchangeability there is with the Isuzu FTS? I imagine you could snag the 4x4 parts for a decent price.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
You could go with the 7th gear option for the Allison. Same setup as used in the M-1078 S&S trucks. They bolt straight up to the 3000 series Allison and provide a low-low gear and AWD. Like this one eBay Listing

If you are looking outside of that the Rockwell T-1138 has an overdrive in high which is good for some applications. There are also the Axletech T600 but they are getting harder to find (350 lbs).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke