Allpro Plate Bumper Install on 05+ Tacoma

barlowrs

Explorer
I chose the allpro mainly because I liked the look of it, though the modular design seemed like a good idea, if one part gets messed up, I can just replace that rather than a whole bumper.

I live pretty close to allpro, so I picked it up myself. Upon opening the two boxes (the modular design makes it pretty easy to ship, two smaller boxes) the first thing I noticed was the packing, had I shipped this, I could not imagine it would get hurt, they packaging was very well done.

IMG_1853.jpg

Once I pulled the parts out, the assembly was very strait forward, and the directions were quite clear, though it would be easy to figure out even without the directions.

As I got to building it, I discovered the quality of the bumper was second to none. All the holes for every bolt lined up perfectly. I never once had to try to “force” things together. Considering you are dealing with steel that has been welded (warped, etc) I was very impressed. As you can see here, everything lines up beautifully.

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

The XRC winch fit VERY easily too, especially since I had relocated the solenoid box.

I decided to go with the PIAA 510 fogs inside (they will be wired to the stock wiring harness). I really like the look of the rock guards so I set out trying to figure out how to fit them into the allpro bumper. I quickly learned that if you simply sand (I used a dremel) some material off the two sides (not that much) they are quite easy to slide (with a bit of force) into the slots prior to mounting the lights:

IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

And here she is assembled and ready to go on the truck:

IMG_1860.jpg

Once it was time to install it onto the truck, I quickly realized that I was VERY grateful to have friends to help out. The bumper and winch combination are defiantly NOT easy to handle alone. Once again the holes lined up perfectly on my truck, and it was pretty easy to mount. The hardest part was just lifting the thing.
A lesson learned for anyone in the future: We discovered that it is easiest to set it on a hydraulic jack that has wheels, then you can jack it to the height you want and wheel it back into the bolts. Worked very well.

And here she is all mounted:wings::

IMG_1912.jpg

As far as the winch wiring, you can see I simply routed them in front of the radiator support and zip tied them in place.

IMG_1911.jpg

I plan to add tubular light protection like the ARB. This will have light tabs, antenna tabs for HAM and CB as well as limb riser mounting places (if I ever feel like adding those).

gfiero

Adventurer
Beautiful, I read your write up with great interest since I am hoping to add a bumper and winch this year to mine.

2nd the daylight photo's.:drool:

BeachBoy

nice write up, now wheel a lot and it will rub your metal under the headlights, and probably pop your fender flares too...

I've cut a notch in my bumper to clear the fender flares, but it rubs under the headlights, which IMO is a very bad design that could've been fixed easily.

mosupernak

Adventurer
Nice looking bumper! I wonder if they make that for my 3rd gen... Off to allprooffroad.com! Nope dang.

Last edited:

jim65wagon

barlowrs;562038 said:

Cool looking bumper...good choice.

Might I suggest you take a piece of radiator hose and wrap the wires where they go through the radiator support wall. All the vibration from driving can wear through the wire sheathing and cause a major short in the system.

Cobra_R

Adventurer
Looks good! I really like All-Pros products and can't wait to buy an All-Pro bumper for my truck as well.

gfiero

Adventurer
Goood catch, jim65wagon. All wiring going through metal should have some kind of protection, or sheathing.

Beach boy, I take it you speak from experience? any other weaknesses?

I like the looks better than the ARB and the Price but if it's a problem child I don't need it.
:confused:

barlowrs

Explorer
nice write up, now wheel a lot and it will rub your metal under the headlights, and probably pop your fender flares too...

I've cut a notch in my bumper to clear the fender flares, but it rubs under the headlights, which IMO is a very bad design that could've been fixed easily.

The new design does clear the headlights (it is cutout ahead of them), however, it does run under the flares, so it is possible to hit them with a lot of frame flex. I have a good 3/4 inch gap all the way around, and may add more depeing on how it looks as I wheel it.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier