Alternatives to Black Series HQ12

cmo5

Another second to @DRAX 's excellent explanation above.

Our new Karavan is around 4800lbs loaded, which was well within our Raptor's towing capacity. However, due to its off-road suspension and lots of options, our 2018 Raptor only had 1050 lbs of payload! So with the three of us and trailer's up to 550lb of tongue weight we were right at GVWR even with no cargo. So we upgraded to a Super Duty Tremor so now we have payload to spare.

You always want to have more truck than you need when you're towing...

Last edited:
Another second to @DRAX 's excellent explanation above.

Our new Karavan is around 4800lbs loaded, which was well within our Raptor's towing capacity. However, due to its off-road suspension and lots of options, our 2018 Raptor only had 1050 lbs of payload! So after the three of us and trailer's up to 550lb of tongue weight we were right at GVWR even with no cargo. So we upgraded to a Super Duty Tremor so now we have payload to spare.

You always want to have more truck than you need when you're towing...

We just picked up a Tremor as well!

rehammer81

If you are ok with a pop top, the Opus OP15 could meet your sleeping and toilet needs. The fabric is a PVC also so not quite as troublesome as canvas. I think they are a bit over the price range you listed.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Farpolemiddle

If you are ok with a pop top, the Opus OP15 could meet your sleeping and toilet needs. The fabric is a PVC also so not quite as troublesome as canvas. I think they are a bit over the price range you listed.

Just looked at now. Pretty interesting. At least 10K more though. More storage and dedicated dinette inside but fully outdoor kitchen while the HQ12 is more crammed and put the kitchen inside (which my wife likes)

rehammer81

MDC has several options similar to Black Series. Apparently MDC USA has a big showroom in SoCal. Again, I think the price is a touch beyond your target.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have 4 without a mother inlaw. And a Expedition with 9200lb rating. My current camping issue is that trailers are currently way over priced and booking any sort of campsite around kids school vacations and/or work is impossible now unless you pay 3rd party bot booking services that basically over run the antiquated online booking systems when they open up blocks of dates.
So kinda over that BS. Have the mother inlaw stay home and watch the dogs?. Take your current rig and go!

Farpolemiddle

I have 4 without a mother inlaw. And a Expedition with 9200lb rating. My current camping issue is that trailers are currently way over priced and booking any sort of campsite around kids school vacations and/or work is impossible now unless you pay 3rd party bot booking services that basically over run the antiquated online booking systems when they open up blocks of dates.
So kinda over that BS. Have the mother inlaw stay home and watch the dogs?. Take your current rig and go!

I camp in the middle of nowhere to avoid camp grounds and do not have the option of leaving the mother in-law home. I am gonna get this figured out.

Grassland

Have you looked into modifying a Casita maybe?
I for the life of me can never remember his handle but a handy fellow here beefed up the frame and suspension on a used Casita. I'm sure it weighs a lot more now but he went from a 4Runner to a Tremor 250.
There used to be some sort of bunk option on the Escape 17 trailers, and I believe you could option the dinette to be a fixed bed, or just leave it set up as a bed. That would get you tight sleeping for four. Tiny bathroom as well.
GVWR on those were 3500-4000lb IIRC.
Based on my Escape 19 I wouldn't be taking it on too rough of roads though without mods.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Have you looked into modifying a Casita maybe?
I for the life of me can never remember his handle but a handy fellow here beefed up the frame and suspension on a used Casita. I'm sure it weighs a lot more now but he went from a 4Runner to a Tremor 250.
There used to be some sort of bunk option on the Escape 17 trailers, and I believe you could option the dinette to be a fixed bed, or just leave it set up as a bed. That would get you tight sleeping for four. Tiny bathroom as well.
GVWR on those were 3500-4000lb IIRC.
Based on my Escape 19 I wouldn't be taking it on too rough of roads though without mods.

So actually looked at the Casita and s Escape 17. My current setup is the original Lifetime 4x6 tent/utility trailer so we are use to compact. The Casita is tight even for us in bunk bed mode it would feel really crowded. No freaking way mother inlaw would be allowed in the door lol.

The Escape 17 is more squared off and far better interior volume front seating area 30 in deep 74 long can be bunked with a second bunk over the seating, across the front of the trailer. Rear bed . Larger seat area 56-58inch deep 74 long is ok for sub 6ft sub 200lb types. Way better layout for 4. Definitely way too snug for 3 adults. Especially a Mother inlaw. Seriously if she has to go along? I’d get a roof top tent and make that mine and tell the wife she can sleep with her mom.. lol

I’m waiting for the market to tank then likely shop the Escape 17 or maybe a Intech Horizon given both have the front seating area that I can easily rig bunk beds. I’m focused on 19ft max hitch to bumper ideally less if possible so tent sites remain an option. Once you hit 19-+ft and the TV length the camping options shrink by 10fold and your doing the RV parking lot mobile hotel room thing which sucks ass. At that point I can book amazing airbnb for less $$$

Last edited:

Grassland

The Intech... Explore? with a dual tip out would check the sleeping arrangements, but no toilet option.

Trailmarker never offered a bathroom option when I was looking, nor a tip out bunk (I'd have jumped at a rear tip out bunk, dinette where the queen bed is in a standard Up & Out if it was an option) and if COVID travel restrictions didn't prohibit us from seeing one in person.

There isn't a lot that can sleep 4 and has a toilet and stand up room that's built well and is affordable.

To me it seems ludicrous that a 14-16' interior length, 6-7' wide tube framed, relatively light, semi offroad trailer isn't something everyone is trying to build.

Maybe because Thor/Forest River builds a far cheaper, crappier product that sets a low price point on that size range?

Reactions: TGK

Farpolemiddle

To me it seems ludicrous that a 14-16' interior length, 6-7' wide tube framed, relatively light, semi offroad trailer isn't something everyone is trying to build.

Maybe because Thor/Forest River builds a far cheaper, crappier product that sets a low price point on that size range?

They are but they are all in Australia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz