Alu-Cab Khaya Prime 2-person Camper in Black - SOLD

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
We are selling our beloved Khaya camper from Alu-Cab. This is the “Prime” model which basically means it’s fully-loaded. We installed this in May of 2019 and it has performed great for our needs. In the new remote-work world, we are finding ourselves wanting more space so we can travel longer and be able to work as we do. So, we are having a trailer built and will be letting our camper go to a new home. This camper has the black finish and looks great. Even though it is black, we have never had issues with heat in the summer. We bought this camper to be used on a Toyota Tacoma, short bed, and our mounting system is designed for that vehicle and I have upgraded some of the mounting parts for additional strength. If you have another mid-sized truck, reach out to see how we can get a mount to suit your vehicle. I know a lot of guys who run topper campers and then add their fridge and other items to the bed. The issue with this is that you no longer have a useful truck. With the Khaya, I can remove the entire unit by myself in about 90 minutes. Most of that time is spent attaching/detaching the legs. I then have a naked truck bed for hauling things or for daily driving.

We also have the Alu-Cab Woodbox 2.0 that sits over the cab. This includes 2 Load Bars, 2 fuel can mounts and 2 Wavian 5 gallon fuel cans in red. Also includes the Alu-Cab Maxtrax mount, which holds up to 4 traction boards and can be locked. The actual Maxtrax are not included. This entire assembly is put together as one piece and can all be removed with the help of a buddy. I have it attached to my cab with an EEZE-AWN setup that you can have if you have a 4-door Tacoma. The Woodbox allows for a huge amount of storage that is lockable and weather proof. We generally use this for firewood or for sporting equipment that we do not want inside the camper. I may consider selling the camper and this setup separately, but will prioritize a package deal. Everything was made to go together so well!

Camper Details:

• Khaya is all-aluminum construction with 4 exterior lock boxes and a pop-up top. There are 4 lift jack legs that are included and have the necessary brackets. These are required for removing the camper.
  • 252W flexible solar panel system bonded to the roof, made for the Khaya.
  • 2 Load Bars on the roof for carrying kayaks, bikes, etc.
  • Alu-Cab 270 Shadow Awning is amazing. This awning won the Editor’s Choice award on this site last year! It is freestanding, but also has legs and guy lines for when the weather gets rough. It covers the side with the galley box and also the rear end, creating a large area for dry gathering.
    • Also included is the Alu-Cab Wall Enclosure Kit for this awning. You can create a fully-enclosed area around your camper. It has windows and a zippered door. This takes a while to connect, but is useful if you plan on camping in the same spot for a few days or if the weather is really bad.
  • Alu-Cab table is located underneath the overhang and is great. This metal table is robust and disappears when not in use. It takes seconds to pull out and have a large surface for food prep.
  • There are 2 metal molle panels on the back. Included is an Alu-Cab Propane Tank Mount, but I have also attached a 2-gallon Rotopax Fuel container in the same spot. You can put almost anything back there.
  • Spare tire carrier. This is critical to off road travel and fits my 34.5” spare tire. It locks into the open position when camped.
  • Shower Enclosure pulls out from the passenger side. There is a floorboard to keep feet clean (mounts on the rear hatch when not in use) and a full curtain enclosure. There is a nozzle and faucet that stores in the wall of the exterior box. This connects to the hot water system.
  • Rear hatch has a key lock and interior zippered pockets. Also included its an integrated stair system so you don’t need to lug a ladder around. Drops down quickly and tucks up out of the way when not needed. Integrated LED light on the door is adjustable and has red light feature.
  • 4 lockable side boxes, weather tight. Each box has it’s own LED light that is adjustable and has a red-light feature. This is actually very useful for preserving night vision and to avoid bugs being attracted to light.
    • Small box on the front, driver’s side. I have lined this with velcro and use various pouches to organize trail gear.
    • Large Galley Box on the driver’s side. This is the outdoor kitchen. More details below. There is a pass-through in this box to access some contents from inside the camper. There is a small bar-height table that lives here for food prep.
    • Propane box on passenger side. Holds the included propane tank and also stores the shower enclosure. The shower hose/nozzle lives in here as well.
    • Large box on passenger side holds the electrical components for easy access. Also holds the diesel fuel tank and heater system. Plenty of room here for other items, we put our recovery equipment in this box.
  • 20 Gallon water tank located near the front of the camper, there is a spigot on the outside of the camper near the rear door. This is a very useful item. This also goes to the water heater, the sink and the shower. Refill door on the exterior. There is an electric water pump with switch.
  • Dometic electric water heater for shower and sink.
  • We have the full Galley Setup. The exterior box on the driver’s side opens up to reveal an organized galley. There is a drop down work surface, bar-height and an LED lighting system. Inside the box is a shelf system with zippered doors for food, several racks and organizers for utensils and a door to the interior of the camper. There is a kitchen set for 4. Stainless kettle, pot, pan, utensil set, cups, mugs, wine glasses, plates, bowls, knives and a cutting board. There are several plastic, sealed containers to store foods. Everything has a specific home in this box and is secured. Nothing in here moves when driving! Simply open the door and have your kitchen laid out before you.
  • We got the full electrical system. There is a marine-grade deep cycle battery housed inside the camper and various CTEK components. You get power from the truck battery when your vehicle is running, from the solar panels and can plug into a 110 outlet when at a campground. There is a battery monitor inside the camper.
  • There is a Dometic sink/stove unit inside the camper. The sink has hot/cold water. There is a 2-burner stove inside that uses the included propane tank. We mostly cook outside, but this was very handy in the winter months.
    • There are 2 additional, locking drawers in this unit.
  • There is a National Luna 60L fridge/freezer inside on a storage stand. This is an excellent unit that has also won many awards. There is storage underneath the fridge.
  • There is a bench seat inside with storage. There is just a ton of zippered storage inside this thing! We have never used it all.
  • The bed platform drops down from the ceiling in 2 pieces using gas struts. You can drop only the larger panel and have about 6 feet to lay down. Someone can still be standing up to cook or clean up. Or, drop both platforms for over 8 feet of bed space.
  • The tent portion is double-wall fabric and has blackout type fabric. It will be completely dark in there if you want it to be. 3 zippered windows with mesh, the rear has it’s own awning. Breathability in summer is great. There are pockets attached in here for holding various things while sleeping.
  • The bed has a mattress of 3” or 4” thickness. There are zippered covers on all cushions that we just took off and washed. The padding on the bed is ok, I would not say it is great! But, we are side-sleepers. We had discussed replacing with an insulated, inflatable setup if we were keeping this long-term. I can share that info.
  • There are 2 USB/DC charging stations inside with LED lamps. There are also 2 additional LED lights inside with adjustability and red-light feature.
  • One of the exterior boxes houses the diesel heater system and a diesel fuel tank. The heater works very well! There is a thermostat controller inside the camper. We have run the heater for 4 nights in a row and not used up all the fuel. It’s very efficient and quiet. There is an intake/exhaust routed along the exterior for safety.
  • Setup for camp in less than a minute.
I am selling everything listed at $29,500. It is located in Bend, Oregon

A11E9654-9006-4B4B-BAE3-A49C6021346C.jpeg
F862C6B7-E347-4AC4-A282-B89246E3E2DE.jpeg
250C9E0F-D1EC-4B45-9885-EF635D9140CB.jpeg
14F98B3E-1FC7-4FA8-B9AA-F90970F5E9C3.jpeg
DDAF4066-91C7-4934-9B1E-FF440BF8D87A.jpeg
DF6707D7-99C3-44DC-A93D-EC4B2E5EF1B4.jpeg
2CE11203-3FD9-4BB2-AE0E-5C5389CB87C5.jpeg

Last edited:

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
Our family of 3 + dog has taken trips as long as 9 consecutive days with this setup. We did not run out of water, propane, or diesel heater fuel during that time. We have camped through frozen winter and Moab summer with no complaints. We paid just under $40,000 for this unit, all the accessories and to get it shipped to/installed here in the US. It took over 6 months to receive from Alu-Cab in South Africa. I am selling everything listed above at $29,500. It is located in Bend, Oregon if you are close and want to see things. Camper weight starts around 1200lbs, add more for cargo, fuel, water, etc. There are no dents or dings to the unit that I am aware of. There are scuffs on the finish from brush on the trail, nothing I would call major, but it has seen a good amount of travel. I have spend a lot of time working through details and bugs, the only issue I know of right now is the shower nozzle faucet has a leak. I imagine pulling it out and reapplying plumber tape will eliminate that. This truck/camper has been featured in magazines and on web shows. Be prepared to get a lot of attention from fellow travelers and campers! We get smiles, thumbs-up and questions everywhere we go and people really love seeing it. It is a very unique setup in North America. Please reach out for any questions or picture requests.

Check out this article from Tread Magazine, they have some good pictures of the interior. https://www.treadmagazine.com/campsite/tacoma-and-khaya-camper/. I'll take some more pics soon and post up of the interior.

78EEE120-EF75-401D-BA5C-26A31816B224.jpg
478F2889-EBB2-4712-A631-2EAA81BE6CD3.jpg
610B20A6-E579-4D42-AD90-1944D425A22A.jpg
6347EB2E-F131-494A-9452-A692EDA56AB9.jpg
DSC06376.jpg
DSC06430.jpg
DSC06494.jpg
DSC06648.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Does your kiddo sleep in the upper bunk w/ y'all, or is there enough room on that lower bench for a sleeper?

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
Does your kiddo sleep in the upper bunk w/ y'all, or is there enough room on that lower bench for a sleeper?
He sleeps with us up top. I had been sketching out a platform to use down below, but our dog has been using that space. It is possible to make a small bed down there.

Bho4779

Nice deal! I'd be driving to Bend right now if I wasn't already committed to a flatbed camper...that is hopefully on its way across the pond in January!

Faydrienne

We really want one of these, do you know if they fit in any vehicle or only Tacoma’s? We can’t seem to get a straight answer.
We have a 2004 Toyota Tundra (full size/double cab)

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
We really want one of these, do you know if they fit in any vehicle or only Tacoma’s? We can’t seem to get a straight answer.
We have a 2004 Toyota Tundra (full size/double cab)

Hi!

At the end of the day, it's just a box so it could fit on anything larger than my Tacoma. The front mounting bracket is made for a Tacoma, but the rear is just a hitch mount. So, it'll depend on a few measurements and you may have to get creative with the mounting brackets. The one I have is just a large piece of bent metal, so not rocket science. Shoot me a PM if you want to review specific dimensions!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior