Aluminum camper pod build thread

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Yeah, looking really great. I'll pile on with the questions...

Did you use the RO Topside paint? Did you sand/scuff the aluminum before the primer?

Also love the vinyl sticker idea. Been wondering how to add some graphics, looks like that's the ticket.

matt

Jonnyo

Observer
i dont have a final weight and i m wondering how to mesure it now? it s a little big for a body scale?!!!! maybe a road scale once mounted. But i calculated all material and been generous...i would say perhaps 300-320lbs. but most likely a little less, i can still easily lift it and move it myself one side at the time.

Jonnyo

Observer
sheet where 4X8 0.04 tickness. if i had travel to vancouver, they have 8.5 feet wide 0.04 aluminum in coil...so you can buy as long as you want. it s great for bigger size but very ackward to handle.

For the paint, i used 220 Grit on a rotating sander. scuff very marginally, clean up very well with water/soap, then acetone and immediately prime with zinc chromate. i found this way to be very good to hold the paint and not chip. the key is to prime within minutes of sanding so no oxidation can occure.

i used Rustolum rust paint (enamel oil base) . that is the cheap kind you can find in any hardware store. in canada, all hardware store also have there own home brand rust paint that is made my rustoleum. the good thing is..it s made in base paint so you can get any custom color you want for about 10$ a liter or 26-30$ a gallon. this paint finished VERY glossy and is extremely resistant. it look like a professional car paint job from 5 feet or further away. in term of longivity.... i finished my airstream a few years ago in bright red and so far... it look like the day i painted it. (applied with roller)

airstream argosy rustoleum pained on side of the road!

Jonnyo

Observer
i figure out a hoist system to lift the pod over the truck. very easy and make the process so much smoother than corner jack.

a little nerve racking when you lift it for the first time...

then, backing up the truck for loading

the fit seems good.... dosnt stick out from each side too much..

next step, i m in the process of testing for leak....we are having torential rain and it s the perfect time for this.... sitting inside, finding the small leak and figuring out the final caulking to have it 100% dry proof...

should be camping next week. Front rack for off road lighting: LED 50 inch to be done and it should look pretty decent....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz