Aluminum to Plywood? Exterior Trim Ideas?

midog

Observer
Hi All,

I’m starting on my plans to build my camp trailer, but I have a couple small questions I hope someone can answer:

1. I plan on skinning my exterior plywood with 0.060 Aluminum sheet. What is the best way to laminate aluminum to plywood?
2. Anyone have a good source or idea for exterior corner molding? I don’t care if its aluminum or a plastic product, I’m at a loss for what to use for exterior trim?

bob

Adventurer
Look at the build for microcampers. He uses the same type of build. Also the Krawler build by SoCalTeardrops and AT. One of them should be able to give you some ideas.

midog

Observer
Thanks,

I'm open to using a diffrent material.

If anyone has a recomendation and / or a supplier that would be a big help!

midog

Observer
I would love to know a good fiberglass supplier. It sounds like aluminum is a difficult product to use as a siding due to thermal expansion.

microcampers

MicroCampers
I would love to know a good fiberglass supplier. It sounds like aluminum is a difficult product to use as a siding due to thermal expansion.

Thermal only is a factor if you float the aluminum but if you glue it completely like we do it's much lighter than the fiberglass and will work just fine. Check to see if a closed trailer manufacturer is anywhere in your area and you can buy some aluminum siding from them directly which is how I purchase what we use. I use 3M water based neoprene 30NF glue to laminate my aluminum to my luan 1/8" plywood substrate and it sticks very well and isn't toxic or PITA to deal with like the petroleum based glues are. For trim look at trimster.com is what I use on my campers kinda rubbery flexible and UV safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz