Aluminum WeeRoll Camper Trailer [thread moved]

karlfunk

This weekend I am picking up a similar WeeRoll we had built. Intending on towing (slowly) with my Outback rated at 2700lb. We are expecting to go slowly and get bad mileage. What is your model of RAV4 rated for?

Yours could be a fun project for someone.

karlfunk

That makes sense. I am tempted to try making a composite "nose cone" for the trailer to see how that effects things. I have work with people who can model that shape for me ahead of time and happen to have a lot of carbon cloth laying around. All that is left is locating the motivation!

I will start a thread with our plans once I get some time. Maybe get someone excited about the potential of your trailer.

Montriond

This weekend I am picking up a similar WeeRoll we had built. Intending on towing (slowly) with my Outback rated at 2700lb. We are expecting to go slowly and get bad mileage. What is your model of RAV4 rated for?

Yours could be a fun project for someone.
How'd the Outback do?

karlfunk

How'd the Outback do?

We actually towed it for the first time behind the Outback today. Took it to a CAT Scale for a weight.

Felt good at the normal grandpa speeds I drive at. Will use a lot of gas. But I expected that.

You ever happen to weigh your trailer? Ours is *significantly* heavier than WeeRoll claims.

karlfunk

Not yet- how bad was it?

We took it to a CAT Scale on Saturday and have it at 1840lb (stock/empty). Which makes sense of the tongue weight I had taken at 245lb.

A stock Silver Moon is advertised at 1180lb. Ours is 3" wider and 6" taller. We had them add two relatively small interior partitions and provided Tern Overland widows and a door plus a MaxxFan 7500k. Our back wall is fixed with a window instead of doors. We deleted all of the electrical boxes/connections/etc that they usually provide. By my generous rough calculations our trailer should easily weigh less than 1500lb.

The significantly larger dual axel Silver Star model is advertised at 1550lb.

It is possible that your RAV4 is struggling (more than you expected) because your trailer weighs a lot more than you think it does!

For what it is worth, I have been talking with the new owner, Kevin, and he has been great. This is the latest "revelation" I need to share with him. I think he will be taking the company forward in a positive direction.

- Karl

Montriond

We took it to a CAT Scale on Saturday and have it at 1840lb (stock/empty). Which makes sense of the tongue weight I had taken at 245lb.

A stock Silver Moon is advertised at 1180lb. Ours is 3" wider and 6" taller. We had them add two relatively small interior partitions and provided Tern Overland widows and a door plus a MaxxFan 7500k. Our back wall is fixed with a window instead of doors. We deleted all of the electrical boxes/connections/etc that they usually provide. By my generous rough calculations our trailer should easily weigh less than 1500lb.

The significantly larger dual axel Silver Star model is advertised at 1550lb.

It is possible that your RAV4 is struggling (more than you expected) because your trailer weighs a lot more than you think it does!

For what it is worth, I have been talking with the new owner, Kevin, and he has been great. This is the latest "revelation" I need to share with him. I think he will be taking the company forward in a positive direction.

- Karl
Yikes. That's more than 50% overweight. Going to need to weigh ours to find out where it landed in the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94