HAMBO build thread

Abitibi

Explorer
Continuing on the insulation. Filled all the gaps I could with Roxul and also did all the camper's doors. They already had a 3/4" foam insert, just added some extra. That Roxul stuff is great to work with, so easy!

Funny how just adding some insulation changes the sound of a door closing!

6240c4f5435e99ef649cd19cfda5374a.jpg
ae3d5807264119b21cdda82002a19b4b.jpg
99652ead956f255f2f7c2eafdb8f75a6.jpg
3994b7bd51ffe6af6b29b129074a84b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Roxul is so much nicer to work with than glass. Not as itchy either. I’ll have to add some to my door one of these days.

Abitibi

Explorer
Got some extra time on my hands these days so taking on multiple projects! Yesterday I started sanding my ambo, taking all the clear coat and giving it a good scratch to get it ready for my back lane paint job, lol
I realized the paint on the box is way higher quality than the Ford paint on the van body... You can see my progress, 1/2 way there! I just used my electric rotating sander with 120 grit, works great. Only problem is that damn glue residue!!!

20200417_170633.jpg

20200417_170617.jpg

Abitibi

Explorer
I'm gonna roll it with Marine Urethane. The paint is super durable and fairly cheap. Not sure about the color yet but Subaru has some nice color options!

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Between that, brake cleaner or solvent something gotta work!

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Between that, brake cleaner or solvent something gotta work!

It was suggested when I was peeling my vinyl.... Should have got it sooner!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Abitibi

Explorer
The glue is finally all gone. I tested brake cleaner and it worked great, especially for the price! I ended up doing it all this afternoon. Weather depending I'll finish the sanding in the next few days then the hardest part, find a color!!! So hard to figure just looking at pictures, might have to go check some dealership...

My choices so far:
Subaru Cool Grey Khaki
Subaru Desert Khaki
Toyota Cement
Toyota Quicksand
Toyota Lunar Rock
Jeep Gobi

It won't be an exact match to whatever I decide to go with as I have to compare those options to the paint store color book but I gotta start somewhere right!

I've also been cleaning some more underneath and will be painting the frame.

No pictures today, hopefully the next ones will be worth it, lol.

Cheers
David

motorman

wow . . . you are making fast progress David. i better get my act together

specifically regarding raising the roof i am considering this for my project too.

so you will cut just below the curve which is just below or above the drip rail?

how will you attach the skin? VHB tape? what about the seams? will you overlap or, what?

i had a quote of $13k raise the roof and add the 'c class' over the cab. cutting and inserting 'ladder type' elements to raise the roof seems like the best option and i can cobble this together on my own. 13k is out of the question . . .

following closely, thanks

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The glue is finally all gone. I tested brake cleaner and it worked great, especially for the price! I ended up doing it all this afternoon. Weather depending I'll finish the sanding in the next few days then the hardest part, find a color!!! So hard to figure just looking at pictures, might have to go check some dealership...

My choices so far:
Subaru Cool Grey Khaki
Subaru Desert Khaki
Toyota Cement
Toyota Quicksand
Toyota Lunar Rock
Jeep Gobi

It won't be an exact match to whatever I decide to go with as I have to compare those options to the paint store color book but I gotta start somewhere right!

I've also been cleaning some more underneath and will be painting the frame.

No pictures today, hopefully the next ones will be worth it, lol.

Cheers
David
I'd vote or Toyota Cement or Lunar Rock. Not a big fan of tan's and brown... Oh wait, my 40 is Khaki... How'd that happen? I think it'd be too big on an Ambo though.

Abitibi

Explorer
wow . . . you are making fast progress David. i better get my act together

specifically regarding raising the roof i am considering this for my project too.

so you will cut just below the curve which is just below or above the drip rail?

how will you attach the skin? VHB tape? what about the seams? will you overlap or, what?

i had a quote of $13k raise the roof and add the 'c class' over the cab. cutting and inserting 'ladder type' elements to raise the roof seems like the best option and i can cobble this together on my own. 13k is out of the question . . .

following closely, thanks
The main cut (below the curve) is just above the drip rail. From inside it's just above the horizontal 2x2 square bar so easier to cut from inside.

For the skin I'm hoping to unglue an inch of so of the original roof skin and insert the new skin underneath, secured by industrial glue or VHB tape to seal it. The bottom part of the skin will sit on top of the lower walls. Then mostly just rivets to secure it. There's a few more details but that should give you an idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94