AmboVan Restarted

rlrenz

Explorer
Why do FL60's look lowered when they have an ambo box on the back?Most of my local ems run them and all of them look lowered.

A regular cargo box sits on top of the frame, while an ambulance box straddles the frame, so it automatically looks lower. Probably the biggest height restriction comes from the GSA standard that every builder has to comply with: KKK-A-1822E:

3.4.11.7 FLOOR HEIGHT.
The finished floor (loading) heights shall not exceed 84 cm (33 in.) on Class 1 (4x2) vehicles
and 97 cm (38 in.) for Class 2 (4x4) vehicles. The height shall be measured at curb weight
plus full payload but minus patients and personnel. The use of an automotive “dump valve”
on air suspension vehicles is acceptable to achieve the loading height requirement. The
system shall include an interlock that only permits vehicle lowering when the vehicle is in
neutral or park, and the parking brake is set.

ben2go

Adventurer
A regular cargo box sits on top of the frame, while an ambulance box straddles the frame, so it automatically looks lower. Probably the biggest height restriction comes from the GSA standard that every builder has to comply with: KKK-A-1822E:

3.4.11.7 FLOOR HEIGHT.
The finished floor (loading) heights shall not exceed 84 cm (33 in.) on Class 1 (4x2) vehicles
and 97 cm (38 in.) for Class 2 (4x4) vehicles. The height shall be measured at curb weight
plus full payload but minus patients and personnel. The use of an automotive “dump valve”
on air suspension vehicles is acceptable to achieve the loading height requirement. The
system shall include an interlock that only permits vehicle lowering when the vehicle is in
neutral or park, and the parking brake is set.

That explains a lot.Thanks fur da edumakation. :26_7_2:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Doesn't look to be a Horton; badge on RF fender isn't the red/white Horton + badge. Looks to be the teal/dark blue logo, which I forget which module builder that is--been away from the ambo stuff for months and my knowledge is rusty. I want to say it starts with an M...not Medtec.

2 E L O

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure I just saw you heading east down interstate 80 in the middle of Nebraska… The truck is a beast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobietony

Explorer
I'm pretty sure I just saw you heading east down interstate 80 in the middle of Nebraska… The truck is a beast!

Just noticed this thread was bumped - You did indeed see me on I-80 in Nebraska, pulling a trailer with 2 boats on it, went to Hobie 16 North Americans in Delaware - Lots of windshield time in the last month, good to be using it!

T

flightcancled

Explorer
Tony what have your thoughts been on bobbing the tail been now that you have had some mileage on your rig? I can't believe how easy it is to tail drag my ambo. I'm thinking of doing a bob before I even go to 4x4. It would be a little easier to work on if it was higher up though I guess.

hobietony

Explorer
Tony what have your thoughts been on bobbing the tail been now that you have had some mileage on your rig? I can't believe how easy it is to tail drag my ambo. I'm thinking of doing a bob before I even go to 4x4. It would be a little easier to work on if it was higher up though I guess.

I still drag mine with it cut off, and I am super glad it is bobbed. It is a PITA, however, depending on how finished you want it to look when you are done - See post #1 of this thread. I wanted it to look factory, so I had to save and reuse the frame and door pieces - kinda tricky. Naterry figured a way to chop them and cover using alternate materials, search for his original thread

flightcancled

Explorer
Yeah I've read it a few times now. I am in the same boat as you where my compartments are part of the rear corner, so just chopping the corner makes as much of a mess if not more than doing the whole thing.

MedTec used this rolled over diamond plate for their trim, my plan is to just slide it up after the chop.

b1151409b68b296a28048d18d3fcbb17.jpg

I'm assuming you used a circular saw to make the cuts. Seems like the right spots in the back corners will be a fight to do cleanly.

hobietony

Explorer
Circular saw where I could, grinder/sawzall/whatever where I needed it. I cut everything at the bottom of the floor joists, so I cut the inside of the boxes 'proud' below, and finished with a grinder, flush to the bottom of the floor framing, if that makes sense. It is very satisfying when it all falls off.

stormlover

Adventurer
What a treat to run into Ambovan at the local ski hill today. All the reason to give this awesome build thread a bump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior