Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

cjken

Explorer
Just one.
You have to remove the heat shield, and some of the intake apparatus.
It’s not too bad, but takes a bit of time.
If there is oil in the fuel filter it may mean injector o-rings are going bad.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I replaced all the O-rings and fuel lines going to the fuel bowl when I did mine. It had been leaking a lot. It just occurred to me that’s why I remember it being a sucky job. Fuel filter alone won’t be 1/10 as bad.

BTW, I bought O-rings and fuel filter from DieselORings.com and would highly recommend them. I’d recommend the ‘Monster’ glow plug relay at the same time also.

cjken

Explorer
I replaced all the O-rings and fuel lines going to the fuel bowl when I did mine. It had been leaking a lot. It just occurred to me that’s why I remember it being a sucky job. Fuel filter alone won’t be 1/10 as bad.

BTW, I bought O-rings and fuel filter from DieselORings.com and would highly recommend them. I’d recommend the ‘Monster’ glow plug relay at the same time also.

I second those recommendations!!

bryceon44

Do you guys know where I can get a repair manual for my coach? Like Chilton etc I would like to look at it to have a better understanding of all the service work I am going to perform.

Also on the above maintenance suggestions. Is all of that necessary if it is not leaking or I am not experiencing any problems?

bryceon44

Also on the above maintenance suggestions. Is all of that necessary if it is not leaking or I am not experiencing any problems?
Thanks

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
ok thank you for heads up. Is there just one filter or is there another one somewhere else .

There are 3 filters. The main one in the bowl. There is also a screen in there that can get blocked. The most PITA one is built into the fuel pick-up in the tank. 2 little finger size filters actually inside the mixer.

There is also a water drain on the fuel bowl which should be opened every now and again.

Seriously consider replacing all the o-rings on the bowl when you change the filter.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
As for the O-rings... it’s either now by choice or later when they’re leaking and leaving a puddle on the ground every time you stop. :D

azsorenson

Hello all! What are you doing for spare tire mounts? I thought one of my exterior cabinets would fit my tire, but no luck. I hate to lose flexibility on opening rear doors so thought about putting a roof rack over the cab or a front mounted carrier. Am open to see/hear what has worked for you (pics welcome!). I have a 16" 8 lug tire. Money IS an issue, but would rather have a good spare available in the event of an emergency. Thanks in advance!
Hi, ended up with a hitchgate solo from Wilco off-road. Works great, had it on the roof but a nightmare if I really need it. Easy to open up, really well engineered. They are tough to get, Wilco is a weird company that can't seem to comprehend that you need inventory, not just backorders. I had to flip mine upside down because I wanted it to open toward the driver side but it worked out.

Attachments

• 15615181690699068529468210715239.jpg
    15615181690699068529468210715239.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 87

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles