AmbuLand build thread

cjken

Explorer
What motor is in this one??

Going Agile 4x4 again??
Can’t wait to see what you do with this one!

Abitibi

Explorer
Well, that was fast! lol
kind of... I had been searching for a while but all the ones available locally these days are Chevy's which have a decent diesel engine but really thirsty. Then the frame is pretty soft which makes the 4x4 conversion more difficult... Back when I bought my 1st one I could bid on 2 or 3 weekly on the local government auctions. Now I'm lucky if I see 5 in a year!

Anyway, I now have a few options... :D

iggi

Ian
Congrats on the new rig David! Looks almost like mine except I think yours is the longer version. I've got the 138" WB. Waiting to see what you do for an enhanced roof. I'll be still be hunching over in mine for at least another year.

FDM2012

Adventurer
I think it would be natural to have some regret in selling it. But, the payoff of applying lessons learned to
new your new will build, will make it well worth it.

Anxious to see you get started!

(And, I have heard the same about the GM frames....)

E

Abitibi

Explorer
I'm hoping to update this thread in the near future as we just started pulling the engine out to upgrade it into a mean machine! I'm still planning to sell this ambo in the near future but since I had already bought all these parts I figured I might as well install them and sell it with peace of mind. Plus I really want to see how it will perform and I kind of need a ride while I build my next project ;) Once we're all done that engine will be like new!

The recipe:

Single shot Alliant AC injectors (160cc)
GTP38 turbo upgrade
Hydra chip
HPX High Pressure Crossover
Fuel bowl delete with regulated return (re-routing fuel lines to heads)
Bunch of new sensors (CPS, ICP...)
Upgraded valve cover gasket/wiring
Motorcraft glowplugs
HD glowplug relay
Swamps stage 1 chromoly pushrods
203* thermostat
International Up-pipes

I might forget a few things but this gives an idea of the work scope.

And at the same time, continuing with my new project :D

Cheers
David

iggi

Ian
wow, it's gonna be quite the hot rod!
I gotta confess there are times I'd love another couple hundred lbs of torque on mine. It's probably a terrible idea but a fun one. lol

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
wow, it's gonna be quite the hot rod!
I gotta confess there are times I'd love another couple hundred lbs of torque on mine. It's probably a terrible idea but a fun one. lol
I’ve always thought mine was stock... but now I wonder if my tune has been changed. The only time I’ve felt there wasn’t tons of torque to spare was when I was already cruising along at 70+ mph.... Even then there was enough.

Is there a way to tell what’s been done to the computer? I used to think something had to stay connected.., not just plug in, change settings, and unplug. I’ve got no way of knowing what the POs did in the 7 years after it was sold by BC ambulance service.

Abitibi

Explorer
Google the install instructions for DpTuner. You may see behind the computer that attaches through the firewall if the PO modified it.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

iggi

Ian
There's certainly enough power. It's a rocketship compared to my Landcruiser.. but that doesn't that mean power more wouldn't fun. lol

I’ve always thought mine was stock... but now I wonder if my tune has been changed. The only time I’ve felt there wasn’t tons of torque to spare was when I was already cruising along at 70+ mph.... Even then there was enough.

Is there a way to tell what’s been done to the computer? I used to think something had to stay connected.., not just plug in, change settings, and unplug. I’ve got no way of knowing what the POs did in the 7 years after it was sold by BC ambulance service.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Google the install instructions for DpTuner. You may see behind the computer that attaches through the firewall if the PO modified it.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

nothing attached. After driving it a bit I realize the shift points aren’t quite right and although it’s no slouch... it is most likely stock.

The tuner I’m considering plugs into the OBDii port. It downloads your current tune to store it and then you answer some questions and it uploads a different tune. In the process adjusting afr, shift points, lockup, max speed, tire size... etc. Once it’s loaded you unplug it and there’s no sign you changed anything (unless you access the computer settings). At anytime you can revert to original or retune to different settings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior