Ammo can idea thread

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm starting this thread to be a place where people can share the ways they use ammo cans in their Jeeps, share the ideas they have for using them but haven't implemented yet, or ask questions about them or about using them.

Ammo cans make great storage containers for Jeeps - they're very sturdy, they're weatherproof and they're plentiful enough to be inexpensive. They also come in a range of sizes that adapt well to Jeep uses. Here are the most common sizes:

AmmoCans1_zps1h4xexd9.jpg

One of the cans in the photo above isn't technically an ammo can, in the right rear is an AN/RVS-14 night vision device case. It's constructed the same as the ammo cans, in fact it has the same length and width as a 50 cal. can and even shares the same cover - it's just taller, so it can be thought of as a "Tall 50" ammo can.

Approximate dimensions of the common Ammo Cans:

.30 cal/7.62mm: 3 3/4" W x 11" L x 7 1/4" H.

.50 cal: 6 1/16" W x 12 1/8" L x 7 1/4" H.

WWII .50 cal. 6" W x 12" L X 7-1/2" H
(Very close in size to the 50mm can above but a little lighter in construction and the lid is hinged the long way)

"Fat 50"/SAW: 7 1/4" W x 13" L x 9" H

40mm: 6 3/8" W x 18 1/2" L x 10 1/4" H.

20mm: 8 3/8" W x 18 1/2" L x 14 1/2" H.
(Same length as 40mm)

AN/RVS-14 monocular night vision device case
6 1/16" W x 12 1/8" L x 13 1/4" H.
(Same dimensions as 50mm but 6" taller)

30mm (Not shown): 9 1/2" W x 18 1/2" L x 14 1/2" H.
(Same dimensions as a 20mm but 1" wider)

Some of the cans above share dimensions, this photo shows some of them - the 50 cal./AN/RVS-14, and the 40mm/20mm:

SameDimensions_zpstwcu8pi4.jpg

In the next few posts I'll show a few examples of how I've used ammo cans; hopefully this thread can be a repository of ideas that everyone can contribute to.

Please share your ammo can ideas, or post ammo can ideas you've thought up but haven't implemented yet.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A 30 cal. can can fit under the hood on the driver's side fender in a TJ. It mounts with bolts through a few holes drilled in the bottom of the can and in the fender.

30calUnderhood_zpskoq94blv.jpg

A 30 cal. can also lay flat on the floor behind the seat in a TJ; I keep tow chains and hooks in this one and when I think I might need it I put it under the seat.

30calUnderseat_zpsatuxhk77.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Sometimes when I'm on the trail I carry recovery gear and repair parts in a 20mm can on a spare-mounted cargo rack:

LongCanyon2_zps8d6l56bh.jpg

LongCanyon1_zpsfx1ru8x9.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I modified this 40mm can to have a locking paddle latch and hinged top to serve as secure storage in one of my trailers.

AmmoBoxLatch3.jpg

Painted it red:

TrailerOpen10.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The AN/RVS-14 case fits nicely in most jerry can carriers; in this photo it's in a side-mount jerry can holder on my JK.

JKSideMountAmmoCan_zpskkn72bad.jpg

IPA

Observer
A 30 cal. can can fit under the hood on the driver's side fender in a TJ. It mounts with bolts through a few holes drilled in the bottom of the can and in the fender.

30calUnderhood_zpskoq94blv.jpg

I had one mounted in my CJ7 exactly like that. I kept basic tools in it. I was very disappointed to learn that there was really no way to do it in a JK.

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
Call me crazy, but I keep ammo in them. :cool:

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

Personally, I prefer the plastic ones to the metal ones. They are indeed convenient for storing things other than ammo, but I'm not currently doing so. I've thought about using one as a first aid kit for my vehicle, and another for a recovery gear kit, but I have the Smittybilt bags that came with my seat covers for those things.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm planning to do rear inner fender mounts for my JKU, these photos were taken while testing the fit of a 50 cal can.

50mmTest1_zps0xnej1wi.jpg

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
grew tired of the 1 AM speaker in my dash, which also interfered with installing a radio because it hung too deep, so the radio was in the glove box.

did this with some 30 cal cans:

Super strong magnets and 6' of cord so they can be hung outside the jeep on camping and beach trips.

speaker terminals in the quarter panels so they can be removed in about 3 seconds.

the finished product:

Stuffed em with pillow stuffing and they sound aite. not the best, but they are alot better than what i was working with before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles