An adventure in northwest Montana in late summer

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
I'm not too far from 50 now. (ugh)....When I get back to the states i'll holler and see if we can link up. Mean time - will keep enjoying the picture show! :)

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
One more thought from this trip. I laughed at all the “holy smokes” I heard over the radios. But also holy cow, holy mackerel, holy crap and quite a few other holys. It’s something not heard much anymore. In fact neither I or spell checker are sure if holy is spelled correctly.

I think my favorite view was of the swampy valley seen off that forest road we all liked. It looks a lot like a photo from a coffee table book I’ve had for a long time. But there were many other great views as well.

2911ff46bfa2b909f184d95e30135095.jpg

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blacklbzbeauty

Dale, Ace, Roger and Susan, Gary, and ********,

Here is to everyone having a great Thanksgiving with friends and family. Hope all is well with everyone. Looking forward to seeing you all again soon!

David and Terri

blacklbzbeauty

Brings back awesome memories......

Attachments

• DSCN0517.jpg
    DSCN0517.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 31
  • P1010086.JPG
    P1010086.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 30
  • ******** Hamilton at Little Whitefish Lake - Sept 2018.jpeg
    ******** Hamilton at Little Whitefish Lake - Sept 2018.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 29

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
And a most blessed and happy Thanksgiving to all of my friends and fellow adventurers! Looking forward to traveling the roads less traveled with you in the near future!

Nanc and I recently completed a bit more mundane adventure with our family in Cabo San Lucas. Ten days of sun and fun in an old Ford van carrying eleven hooligans all over the southern tip of Baja. The suspension on the van was shot. With the exception of a couple of paved roads near the cities the roads were dirt, rock, gravel, and sand. They were perfect for every rig on our MT ROF trip.

It was great fun but Nanc and I have both sworn off tortillas and tacos for a couple of months. I've never eaten so mach shrimp in such a short time in my life. Half my family is from Mexico. My grandson and granddaughter both lived in the Cabo area for several years. So we really didn't spend much time in the traditional tourist areas.

Nanc loves everything water, so it was a treat to surprise her by renting a sport fishing boat for a couple of hours. Every time we killed the engine she was in the water like a mermaid. The rest of the clan soon followed.

Xo7MuG23TvWpsktHCYzWhw.jpg

Food, family, and fun. It just doesn't get any better. Well, maybe another ROF trip with her included?

8fm6Bdv3TJGhY5VA+mpGtg.jpg

See you all next year! Have a great holiday season.

Dale

Last edited:

flipmachine

Adventurer
And a most blessed and happy Thanksgiving to all of my friends and fellow adventurers! Looking forward to traveling the roads less traveled with you in the near future!

Nanc and I recently completed a bit more mundane adventure with our family in Cabo San Lucas. Ten days of sun and fun in an old Ford van carrying eleven hooligans all over the southern tip of Baja. The suspension on the van was shot. With the exception of a couple of paved roads near the cities the roads were dirt, rock, gravel, and sand. They were perfect for every rig on our MT ROF trip.

It was great fun but Nanc and I have both sworn off tortillas and tacos for a couple of months. I've never eaten so mach shrimp in such a short time in my life. Half my family is from Mexico. My grandson and granddaughter both lived in the Cabo area for several years. So we really didn't spend much time in the traditional tourist areas.

Nanc loves everything water, so it was a treat to surprise her by renting a sport fishing boat for a couple of hours. Every time we killed the engine she was in the water like a mermaid. The rest of the clan soon followed.

View attachment 485295

Food, family, and fun. It just doesn't get any better. Well, maybe another ROF trip with her included?

View attachment 485296

See you all next year! Have a great holiday season.

Dale
Happy Thanksgiving!

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Happy Thanksgiving to all the ROF Crew near and far. Some of us are headed down to Baja next month for more of the sun Dale and Nancy just enjoyed. I expect my Christmas will be in the desert somewhere near Searchlight, NV. I’ll toast my ROF friends.

Ace

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
Make is irrelevant to us. Our requirements are pretty simple: age 50+ but passengers 21+ are ok, vehicle must be 4x4 with low range transfer case and capable of 65 mph on the road. There are other rules about safety, recovery gear and communication but no need to detail here. Glad you like our trips.

Ace

best part is, by the time i get back to the states I'll be pretty close to 50. The other aspect I was too skeerd to mention: Its nice thinking at 50 years old life still is going on. :D

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
best part is, by the time i get back to the states I'll be pretty close to 50. The other aspect I was too skeerd to mention: Its nice thinking at 50 years old life still is going on. :D

Darin, I'm so old I can't remember much of what life was like before 50, ha ha! Life is what you make of it. When you get back stateside just jump in with both feet and never look back.

gwittman

Adventurer
Not to bring this wonderful thread down but my Thanksgiving was a sad one. I arranged for my 6 brothers and sisters along with nephews and nieces and their offspring to get together for a big Thanksgiving dinner. Our mother (grandmother and great grandmother) was beginning to decline in health and I was concerned she may not have too many more. Without much indication she suddenly had a rapid decline and passed away when I was in route to Kansas. I missed saying goodbye by 9 hours. The family still had the Thanksgiving dinner in her honor and were thankful that she didn't have to live in pain for a long period before passing away.

I was planning to visit many of my friends in Kansas while I was there but ended up spending most of my time with estate issues. I did get to experience a couple snow storms. I enjoyed that for the most part but one was on the edge of a blizzard. That would not have been a problem but I had to leave the day after with very poor road conditions. Fortunately, after about 30 miles the roads cleared up.

Looking forward to many more ROF trips.

Gary

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Not to bring this wonderful thread down but my Thanksgiving was a sad one. I arranged for my 6 brothers and sisters along with nephews and nieces and their offspring to get together for a big Thanksgiving dinner. Our mother (grandmother and great grandmother) was beginning to decline in health and I was concerned she may not have too many more. Without much indication she suddenly had a rapid decline and passed away when I was in route to Kansas. I missed saying goodbye by 9 hours. The family still had the Thanksgiving dinner in her honor and were thankful that she didn't have to live in pain for a long period before passing away.

I was planning to visit many of my friends in Kansas while I was there but ended up spending most of my time with estate issues. I did get to experience a couple snow storms. I enjoyed that for the most part but one was on the edge of a blizzard. That would not have been a problem but I had to leave the day after with very poor road conditions. Fortunately, after about 30 miles the roads cleared up.

Looking forward to many more ROF trips.

Gary

That’s real sad Gary. But good you could have a family gathering despite missing her. Winter conditions in the Midwest can be real bad. Glad you got home safe and sound.

Are you going to try making it to Frenchie’s SoCal desert trip? It’s in your backyard.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Gary, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Nanc and I have been through this will our parents. There really isn't anything one can say to take away the sadness other than our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Take care of yourself.

Dale

StorminMormon

Thank you for this thread. I am currently planning a route for a trip first week of August. Plan is to start in Metaline Falls WA, overland across ID, into Yaak Valley, Drop down into Glacier for a quick. I am sorry to read about your Mother Gary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles