An air cylinder lifting aid to raise Eagle pop-up top

lasermc

I can no longer reliably raise the pop-up of my Eagle camper, especially the front. My friend Mike built me an air cylinder powered by a 12v emergency tire inflator which plugs into the 12v receptacle over the refrigerator. The unit is 46.75 inches long when retracted fully, ~2.75 inch diameter, 7.6 pounds, and stores easily on the shelf behind the bench backrest.
I can't seem to insert any photos but I have posted a video on youtube that demonstrates the unit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3of4niv_9s
If there is interest I can make drawings and a parts/suppliers list available.

Barney Kroeger
Nevada City, CA

Terrainist

Explorer
Times two on that....

Post them up or see if someone on the board will do it for you.
For the people with bad backs, this could make things more doable.

But the plans, parts list, etc, need to be posted in the thread here for
people to access. Thanks.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Could someone elaborate on the advantages of the system like this compared to the spring or gas strut systems? I have a geared crank system on my Texson/Northstar which is not bad with just the roof but add a couple of canoes or three kayaks and it takes a lot of effort, typically requiring my wife to push up on the roof while I crank.

Last edited:

michaelgroves

Explorer
Could someone elaborate on the advantages of the system like this compared to the spring or gas strut systems? I have a geared crank system on my Texson/Northstar which is not bad with just the roof but add a couple of canoes or three kayaks and it takes a lot of effort, typically requiring my wife to push up on the roof while I crank.

With air, the pressure will just rise to suit the weight (to a maximum, of course). Handy for you as you sometimes store things like your canoes on top of the pop-top. Also, sometimes the problem with springs or gas or a crank is that they can be progressive if not designed perfectly. In other words, there is too much lift at first, and then it starts to get heavy, or vice versa. With a pneumatic system, the air does all the work, so it's not as much of an issue.

IMO, if you have OBA for other things, (and you should have - air is useful for so many applications!), then it's an ideal way of lifting the pop-top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94