IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

Willman

I like it!

Those are some HUGE tires mate!

How does it trailer with those meats?

Looks like your ready for a lid and RTT!

:snorkel:

CodyLX450

Adventurer
I drove around with it all day, and I can't even tell I have a trailer hooked up.

Its really barely visible in my rear view mirror and my side mirrors don't see it unless I'm turning.

Aside of the 1 in 100 stops "clunk" I hear from the pintle hitch, I can easily completely forget I have a trailer following me.

Now I can move forward with designing some fenders and a lid for my RTT.

slosurfer

Adventurer
:clapsmile Looks great!

I think you are going to have to add another trailer just to carry the two spare tires for your rig and trailer.

Willman

CodyLX450 said:
Aside of the 1 in 100 stops "clunk" I hear from the pintle hitch, I can easily completely forget I have a trailer following me.

Two & a half words............Lock N' Roll!

:costumed-smiley-007

LJRockstar

Adventurer
Keep in mind that the suspension on an M416 is only rated at 500lbs. It is a military 500lbs so in reality it's closer to 750. You may want to concider one spare and a good tire repair kit.

I had ambitions to have 2 spares on my setup but when I mounted it with the trailer loaded with gear and the RTT installed the leaf springs bent the wrong way!

Besides it's easier to plug one of those monsters than change it!

CodyLX450

Adventurer
Ive had about 600lbs in this trailer already and it didn't even get the springs close to flat. It really only lowered about and inch, maybe 2. I have one spare laying flat in the trailer now since it just fits in the width of the lower tub. I'll eventually get a rear bumper and tire carrier for the spare on my truck.

Really tho, the spares seem to be mostly for looks, as I can take all the air out and still drive around 100 miles according to the specs on these tires...and thats IF I can find something to puncture through the steel sidewalls or tread.

slosurfer

Adventurer
LJRockstar said:
Keep in mind that the suspension on an M416 is only rated at 500lbs. It is a military 500lbs so in reality it's closer to 750. You may want to concider one spare and a good tire repair kit.

I had ambitions to have 2 spares on my setup but when I mounted it with the trailer loaded with gear and the RTT installed the leaf springs bent the wrong way!

I just had 1,100 lbs. of thinset (for tile) in mine the other day and it didn't get the leaf springs flat. I was very happy with it. I did overload it once with hardiboard (I don't know what the weight was that time)and it wasn't cool to see the springs going the wrong way, I was just glad that I only had a couple miles to go.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
We have seen springs on 416 in various conditions. One trailer had them in reverse camber with no load! Others seem to be well arched. The 416 is a stout trailer and it can be abused mercilessly, including being overloaded.

I'm not so sure that's a great thing to do. The bearings are rated at a max of 1750 lbs on each side, and off road usage puts and extra stress on them, especially if they haven't been replaced or at least re-packed.

If you take the trailer mass over the 1500 lbs threshold you have to fit brakes in a lot of States. Even if your State isn't one of those that requires brakes at this threshold point it's not a bad idea for a lifted vehicle with non- stock tires. You can never get enough braking power. Electric brakes are great, are a straight forward replacement, controllable from the cab, and work in reverse as well as forward.

On the subject of spare tires, our experience has been that so long as you have an interchangeable spare between the vehicle and trailer a single spare seems to suffice. With the advent of the tire plug kits and small 12 volt compressors 99% of all flats are reparable. We have even seen side wall splits temporarily repaired using multiple plugs. Obviously peoples preferences will determine if you carry a spare dedicated to the trailer or not, as will the expedition you're on. But in general the trailer spare will not be a useful addition.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
:Wow1: Looks like it's time for cross over steering?

IMG_0580.jpg

That trailer is a monster. Congrats on getting it rolling with the big meats.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
LJRockstar said:

The military 1/4 tons are rated to float at 500lbs or less, i believe the suspension is rated higher.

CodyLX450

Adventurer
Well, it floats...lol.

I've finally figured out how to get mud all over the back of the truck...

IMG_0581.jpg

But now I have to figure out how to get mud on the back of the trailer!

IMG_0582.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior