Android tablet recommendation

madmaths

Observer
Hi! I'm looking to buy a android tablet for navigation and entertainment in the camper on rainy day. Will use gaia, backcountry app offline for sure, I would like to able to have the tablet plug and the audio out at the same time so a 3.5 jack is needed ?‍♂️ I was looking at the samsung s6 but no 3.5 jack. Any recommendation? Thanks
I did a search and they are all old tread and a lot of them ask for a budget tablet... And please... no ipad thanks

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Kindles go for cheap not sure re the jack.

Nexus are very well built, secondhand cheap as chips can carry spares.

Some are SIM card enables, make a great hotspot for redundant ISP services, ATT and VZW for example

reaver

I picked up a Lenovo tab4 8 plus off ebay for 80 bucks. Works great. I basically use it as the stereo in my xterra, and just plug it into the aux input in the head unit via a double male 3.5mm cable. Runs Gaia great, and also interfaces with my obd2 dongle via Bluetooth.

esh

Explorer
I'm still using my Sony Xperia Tablet Z. They were early in the market to dust/waterproof phones and tablets, and built a light capable machine. It has held up to many offroad adventures over the years.

It's not a powerhouse by today's standards, but easily runs nav and music. Has a 3.5mm jack and microSD slot. Good 10" screen and the built in speakers aren't terrible. There is a newer Z4 version (2015) that doesn't seem hard to find new. It compares to a modern Samsung Tab A 10.1

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
This is the alternate I'm considering: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WZC91PF

Although this Vankyo does appears to be an Arm Cortex A53 processor (4 core - 3 gig) compared to the Dragon Arm Cortex A55 (8 core - 2 gig). So the Dragon is still leading. I do like the HDMI out on the Vankyo, but that isn't a show stopper for the Dragon

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I'm selling a Nexus tablet with RAM mount cradle.

plh

Explorer
I'm looking forward to your report.
Arrived today, downloaded a small Google map, disconnected from wifi and have not put in a Sim yet. Appears to be a real good. GPS works when not connected to any wifi or cell network.IMG_20200218_173000.jpg

Last edited:

WVI

Adventurer
WOW, that was quick.
How did you load a "small Google map" onto it?
Have you tried driving with it using the device alone?

plh

Explorer
Yeah, Amazon warehouse is only 40 miles away. This came in one day. Lots of times thou, order in the morning arrives in the afternoon. Taking it on a 600 mile trip this weekend should have a better idea how it works.

plh

Explorer
minor irritation - SIM slots are full size, when is the last time you have seen one of those. Pretty sure I have a nano to full size adapter somewhere...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94