Andy's 100 Series Build

Awkragt

Adventurer
Late start to a build thread, but here it goes:

After a serious road trip from Seattle to Utah and Colorado last fall I realized the 2 door jeep just didn't have the space for long trips with kids. We made it, but it was a compromise with all our crap hanging off the back. I started looking at larger options. Initially I was headed for an LR3 but after 2 test drives, both with 60K miles and suspension creaks and wobbles I decided I didn't want a British car.

So I arrived at the Landcruiser. Since I have the jeep, off road was secondary to comfort with this vehicle, hence the 100 vs. the 80. I picked up a 98' with 209K miles. First photo was from the ad. (here on expo)

No mods so far. I've removed the way back seats and cranked the front torsion bars a half inch to eliminate some of the sag it's accumulated over the last 14 years. I'm still learning the capability. The second photo, the muddy one was 15 minutes from my house. I had to call my wife to get the jeep and rescue me. Same weekend I also got stuck in the snow, had to dig out myself on that one.

I'm planning lots of camping and maybe a California road trip this summer.

Mods wise I am thinking running board removal and sliders, followed by lift and tires once I wear out the current set or the family outgrows the jeep.

The land cruiser brings back the early days of wheeling where getting stuck was a regular occurrence. Getting stuck, bottoming out on obstacles was challenging and fun and I'm glad to have found that again with this cruiser.
2012-04-28_17-30-13_743.jpg

photo.jpg

Updated Photo:
2014-09-21 13.01.01.jpg

Last edited:

yohavos

About time you called it a build! I bet the car seats fit better in the hundy. (Congrats by the way)

Let me know if you ever need a hand, or if its trip time. East side, or even just up to the Wynoochee area.

==
Mike

irish_11

Explorer
Despite the miles sounding high it is in really nice shape in person. I can't wait to see where we end up taking this thing. Also, since we now I have a 40, 62 and 100 series in the group someone needs to pick up an 80 to round things out.

yohavos

Despite the miles sounding high it is in really nice shape in person. I can't wait to see where we end up taking this thing. Also, since we now I have a 40, 62 and 100 series in the group someone needs to pick up an 80 to round things out.

I've got an 80 and a 75 and am right down the road!

Awkragt

Adventurer
So the original sunroof windscreen seal had come off back on a trip to Leavenworth in January. I'd kinda put the seal back but in the process of cranking the screws tighter to get it to stay on the plastic part cracked. Well eventually the whole screen came flying off while I was on the freeway one day. I found a new weather tech one for 20 bucks on amazon. Some sort of open box thing.

P1040618.jpg

I installed that tonight and snapped a photo showing it more leveled out. Right now it's got about .5 to .75 in of rake front to back. I picked up some coil spring spacers at shucks for 12 dollars. It may be my next mod. I'm going to wait see how the cruiser looks when it's go a bunch of gear it in. I definitely don't want a reverse rake now that I brought the front back to stockish height.

P1040621.jpg

Awkragt

Adventurer
Changed the rear diff fluid and redid the gaskets on the locker. Troubleshooting the locker last fall I didnt redo the gasket so there was a slow leach of fluid.

Since I have the week off i decided to go camping with my daughter. Time for stage 1 of sleeping in the cruiser. I removed the 60 side of the middle row and added a platform to extend the flat area up to the drivers seat. The bed will be one of those trifold 3" foam beds from Costco. Photos and review to follow.

Willman

That is one clean 100 series!

Sliders would be a great first protection mod. Many people past those up and get other things...Sliders would be on the list first if i was you to protect that sweet 100.

Look forward to your build.

Awkragt

Adventurer
I built my bed and tried it out. Trip report on my blog: http://kragt.blogspot.com/2012/06/bethel-ridge-and-mt-rainier-np.html

So here's what the first attempt at sleeping in the cruiser looked like. I started by pulling one of the middle row seats and I added a piece of plywood across the top. Then I laid one of those 36"x78" Costco sleeping pads on it. It worked reasonably well, sharing it with my 2 year old. If I would've parked more head up hill I probably would've slept better.

Biggest issue with this was the lack of storage space. Everything was just a big heap in the back of the cruiser and all got spilled on the ground when I went to camp.

Best part was getting to sleep inside the cruiser when it's 30 degrees outside and the wind is blowing like crazy. A tent would have sucked.

This was just enough of a success to make me want to get more serious. My plan right now it to go to a platform and drawers system with the bed folding out over the middle seats. Storage and sleeping solved.

P1040642.jpg
P1040643.jpg
P1040729.JPG
P1040728.JPG

Last edited:

Awkragt

Adventurer
After reviewing hundreds of people's drawer builds I decided to go for it. At least with a box. The plan is to leave it in for a week or two and see how it work's for my wife's daily driver tasks, groceries, and so forth.

P1040845b.jpg

I built the box out of 3/4" birch for the top and bottom, 1" plywood for the sides. The 1" and 3/4" seem overkill so I'm debating redoing the whole thing in 1/2" birch.

If the box checks out then I'll go from there.
1) Wings to fill in the sides.
2) Platform over middle row for sleeping
3) Regular drawer on the left
4) Double slider kitchen drawer on the right

irish_11

Explorer
After reviewing hundreds of people's drawer builds I decided to go for it. At least with a box. The plan is to leave it in for a week or two and see how it work's for my wife's daily driver tasks, groceries, and so forth.

I built the box out of 3/4" birch for the top and bottom, 1" plywood for the sides. The 1" and 3/4" seem overkill so I'm debating redoing the whole thing in 1/2" birch.

If the box checks out then I'll go from there.
1) Wings to fill in the sides.
2) Platform over middle row for sleeping
3) Regular drawer on the left
4) Double slider kitchen drawer on the right

I expect a review of how it holds up and how she likes having the platform in there. I'm debating options on there. I'm thinking I'll go with a cargo barrier setup too (don't worry I'll put that welder to good use).

1" is pretty thick stuff. That has to add some weight. Are you considering cutting some out with a hole saw. I don’t think you would lose too much structural integrity. Also did you see the derlin and teflon slides instead of drawer slides? I'm debating doing the delrin route. I suppose it all depends on how much weight I put back there. The 62's are already a brick so I figure some more weight can't hurt, right? haha.

Awkragt

Adventurer
The box worked good. It went through stages as I slowly constructed it. First my wife would load groceries and they would fall off the sides, then I filled in the sides. We went camping with the box, it was a pita to reach the stuff in the back, then I built the drawers.

It's 42" between the wheel wells, 41" deep. 4 turnbuckles hold it down. 4 leaves hinge up on the sides to put it in and access stuff stored on the sides. The bed extension uses a door hinge with a loose pin (that I drilled for a lanyard) to attach to the box. This eliminates a complicated piano hinge folding setup. It's simply a 36"x36" piece that I slide into place and insert the pin. Drawers are about 11" deep, 36" sliders bring them almost all the way out. I've got one 20"x39" drawer and one 14"x39" wide drawer. These red "locker bins" fit just right inside the drawers for organizing gear. You can also see my helper in these photos. She even held the screws when I installed the handles today.

2012-07-14 16.42.25.jpg2012-07-14 16.42.43.jpg

Awkragt

Adventurer
Also the stupid sunroof deflector broke and flew off when I went about 85 passing someone. Turns out it's not a vital component and I won't be replacing it again.

SmoothLC

Explorer
Yup, almost had that happen a couple times on some road trips.

Just had to tighten the screws down with a phillips and we were good to go again. It's a Mr. T version.

Like where you're heading with this one.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles