2015 Ram 2500 Carli/Thuren Build W/Four Wheel Camper

Explorerinil

Observer
I
Did you notice a pull to the right with the Thuren King steering stabilizer? There are some others reporting that the truck would pull to the right once installed, it went away when they removed it. I was planning on purchasing this unit but those reports have made me shy away, what are your findings?
I believe that is to correct the right radial pull some experience espically with Toyo tires, read the carli blog or give CJC Off-road a call. I ran the stock one with no problems, upgraded it to the carli low mount, after reading a few articles I wish I would have left the stock stabilizer and added a carli high mount stabilizer if anything. I experience no pull, truck drives straight with Toyo RT’s.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I

I believe that is to correct the right radial pull some experience espically with Toyo tires, read the carli blog or give CJC Off-road a call. I ran the stock one with no problems, upgraded it to the carli low mount, after reading a few articles I wish I would have left the stock stabilizer and added a carli high mount stabilizer if anything. I experience no pull, truck drives straight with Toyo RT’s.

This is good news. I am putting RT's on in the next week so hopefully no issues. I was looking at the Carli High Mount as an alternative, I'll maybe give that a go if I have issues once the tires and wheels go on.

Big Ern

I run Toyo MT's 285/75/18. CJC Offroad did the install on my entire Thuren suspension set-up, including the steering damper. It's hard to tell if there is a slight pull. I haven't noticed anything. I do like the smoothed out steering. I no longer have any noticeable steering "play." Once these MT's are toast, I'm heading back to RT's or maybe even AT2's.

Gibby56

Desert Rat
The Carli Steering stabilizers are the ones that push/pull.

I also have the Thuren stabilizer installed. No pull when I had the Grabbers or now that I have the MT's.

@Big Ern, I have heard that about Thuren's rear track bar. That and a truss should be going on mine before the end of the month

Dalko43

Explorer
@Explorerinil, so should you only get the Thuren stabilizer if you plan on mounting tires with a known tendency for right radial pulling?

@Gibby56, where is the Thuren rear track bar on the website? I only saw one for the front.

WRT axle trusses, at what point do they make sense? Are they needed for slow-speed driving and rock crawling or are they intended more for the high-speed stuff?

Gibby56

Desert Rat
@Explorerinil, so should you only get the Thuren stabilizer if you plan on mounting tires with a known tendency for right radial pulling?

@Gibby56, where is the Thuren rear track bar on the website? I only saw one for the front.

WRT axle trusses, at what point do they make sense? Are they needed for slow-speed driving and rock crawling or are they intended more for the high-speed stuff?

The Carli stabilizers will correct a pull caused by the tires straight out of the packaging. I hear the pressure is so high that if you lift the front of the truck without securing the wheels they will push to full lock without any input.

Thuren's stabilizer out of the box is set to track straight and dampens any feedback in the steering. Apparently with the Thuren unit you can add pressure to tune out the pull if the tires create an issue. I haven't had to adjust mine at all and have been very happy with it.

I am assuming you might have a 3500? The 3500's dont have a rear track bar. I have the 2500 so I have the 4 link style suspension and have a rear track bar. They have it listed under products > dodge ram 2014-18 2500 2013-18 3500 > components > track bar. The Carli track bar drop that I have installed doesn't fix the "wiggle" and supposedly the Thuren design does.

For the axle truss, it all depends who you talk to. I have been told that someone had bent their front axle driving off a curb which I think is absolutely ridiculous. They probably were texting and hit a curb at speed. I am building my truck to be more of a desert killer (when the camper isn't on obviously) and most of the time I'm trying to stay around 40-60mph on trails. I think if you're planning on going slow a truss is definitely overkill. I am just prepping the truck to be able to handle some Thuren 3.0 Kings in the front and would like the confidence when I am heading into whoops at speed. My camping/offroad group is transitioning from dirt bikes to desert toys. So right now the only spots that make sense for all of us to go to is around California City.

chet6.7

Explorer
I am assuming you might have a 3500? The 3500's dont have a rear track bar. I have the 2500 so I have the 4 link style suspension and have a rear track bar. They have it listed under products > dodge ram 2014-18 2500 2013-18 3500 > components > track bar. The Carli track bar drop that I have installed doesn't fix the "wiggle" and supposedly the Thuren design does.
The Thuren rear track bar is one of the best things I have done to my truck.

Gibby56

Desert Rat
The Thuren rear track bar is one of the best things I have done to my truck.
I think you have mentioned it before and that’s what has gotten me to finally cave and do it. Every review i have seen sounds really positive and people claim it fixes the only things i dislike about my truck. I’m excited to get it ordered and on the truck before the next trip!

Explorerinil

Observer

Your questions was answered by another member above, personally I would not spend any money on a stabilizer unless you experience some form a pull, if not and you need one, get the thuren. On my 01 ram 2500 I ran no stabilizer for a long time with 36x14.50 super swampers and had no issue. I ran a steering that don thuren designed with Heim ends long before he was known as thuren fabrication. My current truck would have been fine with the stock unit.

Gibby56

Desert Rat
Finished up the wiring on the camper and have it all back together. The next steps are new bed pads and re-do the side couch back into a fold out bed.
8ssXv3.jpg

Also, the front end of my truck got a little heavier
8ssUWr.jpg

Gibby56

Desert Rat
Thuren rear track bar is ordered!!

Install instructions make it look pretty straight forward, is there any tricks I should know about going into the install?

Halligan

Adventurer
Thuren rear track bar is ordered!!

Install instructions make it look pretty straight forward, is there any tricks I should know about going into the install?

Yes, make sure you properly torque the bolts. Seriously, they need to be super tight. I also just installed a Carli diff guard on my truck.

Gibby56

Desert Rat
I am not sure if its me over analyzing it or not but I feel like the truss tightened up the steering a bit more? Either way I am happy to have the reinforcement up front and feel a lot more comfortable taking the big girl off pavement.

The Thuren trackbar went on with ease. It was really easy and straight forward. I haven't really been able to test it out yet but potholes that use to make the truck sway are just soaked up now. HUGE difference.
87d3Wb.jpg

I also got some Timbren's to help with the slight bit of sag I was getting from the camper. I am planning on only using these when the camper is on the truck and leaving the Boogie Bumps on the rest of the time. I like the idea of the Timbren's over bags. I had bags on a previous truck and felt like the lines were always leaking and I didn't like the way they reacted with a strong crosswind.
87dmNT.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne