Another 2020 Ram 5500 Flatbed Camper Build

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Interesting. I thought they were composite also.

That construction looks very similar to the FWC structure.

With my FWC, on cold days, if i ran the heater, you could tell exactly where the aluminum studs (for lack of a better term) were because they would be sweating/condensation at some points so bad i'd need to wipe it down. Was half the reason i sold it.

Hopefully Bison somehow solved this issue.

Stoke to see the progress coming along

StenchRV

Progress! Aluminum frame is a beast.
Having had a few Arctic Fox Silver Fox campers, liked the aluminum, did not like the thermal transfer.
I am sure BOC has that figured out. Looking forward to following your interior build out.

Brad_UT

They say life is what happens when you're busy making plans. That sentiment certainly applies here. In the few months since I posted last, I quit my job of 15 years, packed up the house, took a new job half way across the country and am now about to close on a house there. I got a job offer I just couldn't refuse. The truck isn't done, but I was able to take it on one big trip before I left. It was one of the best trips I've ever taken. This 5500 super-single flatbed platform we all like was just outstanding in every way.

I picked up the Bison Overland camper shell back in February and hurriedly outfitted it with a few basic items in preparation for another adventure trip to southern Utah. We roamed all over the place for six full days. Monument Valley, Moki Dugway, Muley Point overlook, Burr Trail, Natural Bridges NM, Hells Backbone, Hole in the Rock, Smoky Mountain Road over to Bigwater, Johnson Canyon Road and finishing it all off camping up near Bryce Canyon NP. We gave this truck a beating, and it just kept coming back asking for more.
IMG_5371.JPG
DSC_0013 smaller.jpg
In the next few years I'll finish out the build while settling for being a tourist again. At least that's the plan. But you know how those can turn out.

DJI_0586.JPGIMG_3941.jpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
They say life is what happens when you're busy making plans. That sentiment certainly applies here. In the few months since I posted last, I quit my job of 15 years, packed up the house, took a new job half way across the country and am now about to close on a house there. I got a job offer I just couldn't refuse. The truck isn't done, but I was able to take it on one big trip before I left. It was one of the best trips I've ever taken. This 5500 super-single flatbed platform we all like was just outstanding in every way.

I picked up the Bison Overland camper shell back in February and hurriedly outfitted it with a few basic items in preparation for another adventure trip to southern Utah. We roamed all over the place for six full days. Monument Valley, Moki Dugway, Muley Point overlook, Burr Trail, Natural Bridges NM, Hells Backbone, Hole in the Rock, Smoky Mountain Road over to Bigwater, Johnson Canyon Road and finishing it all off camping up near Bryce Canyon NP. We gave this truck a beating, and it just kept coming back asking for more.
View attachment 726069
View attachment 726074
In the next few years I'll finish out the build while settling for being a tourist again. At least that's the plan. But you know how those can turn out.

View attachment 726071View attachment 726072

Great to hear from you with some updates man!

I’m kinda in the same boat with some crazy life / career changes mid build.

PM incoming soon!

StenchRV

View attachment 726069
View attachment 726074

View attachment 726071View attachment 726072

Brad,

GREAT to hear from you! And the build....WOW Looks GREAT!
What an awesome trip. REALLY glad to hear your, our :) , platform performed perfectly.
The hard work you put in sure paid off.

We can not wait to see it in person someday....sooner than later we hope.

CHEERS!!

Craig

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
They say life is what happens when you're busy making plans.

Man, isn't that the truth. Just going thru something similar; spent way too many years perfecting the next rig(my current one) and missed out on 5-7yrs of creating memories in something that could have satisficed at 80% of this current one. I'll regret it for a long time, but live and learn and enjoy the ride now. My point for those of you building rigs like these--consider buying something that's already together(I didn't listen to that sage advice), enjoy the adventures, use it to determine what you need and what you don't. Then perhaps sell it, or keep it, and move on to something that's better suited for you.

Brad, your setup is looking fantastic. I must have missed it but why the streetside camper entry door, vs curbside? Moving to Australia?

Last edited:

Brad_UT

Man, isn't that the truth. Just going thru something similar; spent way too many years(5-7yrs) perfecting the next rig and missed out on 5-7yrs of creating memories in a rig that could have satisficed at 80% of this one. I'll regret it for a long time, but live and learn and enjoy the ride now. My point for those of you building rigs like these--consider buying something that's already together(I didn't listen to that sage advice), enjoy the adventures, use it to determine what you need and what you don't. Then perhaps sell it (or keep it) and move on to something that's better suited for you.

Brad, your setup is looking fantastic. I must have missed it but why the streetside camper entry door, vs curbside? Moving to Australia?
Thank you sir, and I 100% agree. All I had for the last trip was a fridge and a few lights. No heat, no AC, no sink, no toilet. ==> Still, Best trip ever.

I took a super scientific poll about why the door was always on the pass side and got a bunch of, "well it just always is" kind of answers. But, there are actually some good reasons. Established campsites tend to cater to pass side entry when you pull in straight. And if you're climbing into it alot when parked on the side of the road, then yeah, you want pass side entry. BUT, I built this thing to get away from civilization so I didn't worry about that too much. All the frequently used stuff is in my boxes on the driver's side anyway so...

Time will tell if that was the wrong call but so far, it's worked out really well. Definitely gets attention... :D

ITTOG

Thank you sir, and I 100% agree. All I had for the last trip was a fridge and a few lights. No heat, no AC, no sink, no toilet. ==> Still, Best trip ever.

I took a super scientific poll about why the door was always on the pass side and got a bunch of, "well it just always is" kind of answers. But, there are actually some good reasons. Established campsites tend to cater to pass side entry when you pull in straight. And if you're climbing into it alot when parked on the side of the road, then yeah, you want pass side entry. BUT, I built this thing to get away from civilization so I didn't worry about that too much. All the frequently used stuff is in my boxes on the driver's side anyway so...

Time will tell if that was the wrong call but so far, it's worked out really well. Definitely gets attention... :D
When I purchased my 6x12 cargo trailer. I had the door put on the street side as well. I wanted it to be on the same side as the driver given that's where I always am.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brad_UT

And I purchased my 6x12 cargo trailer. I had the door put on the street side as well. I wanted it to be on the same side as the driver and given that's where I always am.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
My thoughts exactly. So far, it's worked out great. Wouldn't change a thing.

Brad_UT

I picked up some of Just Wehring's new Centramatic balancers that he claims have been made specifically for the Continental 335/80R20 tires commonly used on super single builds. Pictures have been scarce so here you go.

The ones I originally got from Centramatic are on the left. New ones on the right.

IMG_0973.JPGIMG_0975.JPG

Clearance was never an issue before and won't be with these either.
IMG_0982.JPGIMG_0987.JPG

They're barely visible through the holes in the Buckstop steel rims:
IMG_0991.JPG

I weighed both and the new ones are slightly heavier. My scale isn't super accurate so don't quote me here!

OLD: Centramatic PN GSG20 422, 57.5 oz.
NEW: Centramatic PN SGG23 452, 62.79 oz.
Difference = 5.3 oz.

I first started this build with just the (old style) Centramatics. There was some road vibration so I had a local tire shop balance the wheels with stick on weights. The vibration almost went away which led me to the conclusion that the Centramatics by themselves were not heavy enough to balance this wheel/tire combo.

The new Centramatics are heavier, but not by much. I need to drive it some more to tell if they really make a difference.

To be fair, and Justin mentioned this, if the wheel or tire is out of round, then weights aren't going to help much, if at all. These Buckstop wheels aren't exactly precision made, so I have to take that into account. At any rate, these heavier balancers will help for sure. Will it be enough to justify the cost is the question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94