another article exploring the impact of smartphone photography

haven

Expedition Leader
http://craigmod.com/journal/photography_hello/

Here's a nuanced, layered presentation by a photographer who is experiencing the shift away from traditional cameras to smartphones. You can argue that this piece is overly long, and there's nothing new in the sentiments expressed. But I appreciated his musings about something lost, and something gained, in the transition away from traditional photography equipment. He includes some very nice iPhone snaps, too.

taco2go

Explorer
Nice article. With regards to change; I would have liked to have read his thoughts on our 'changing' perception of pictures, due the impact of the sheer volume of images being constantly created- and how that relates to what photos we are attracted to. I personally feel that a good image should be able stand on its own, by whatever tool it is captured, and without the "compelling universe of information waiting to be pinned to the back of each image." So we can tag a book's worth of info to a picture, so what. Isn't a picture still capable of being worth a thousand words? :)

edit- Need to mention that those were some beautifully rendered iPhone 'snaps' .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online