Another Lift Thread

KONNMAN

Sorry for starting another thread but feel kinda lost on what to do. I have 2003 Chevrolet Express 1500 2WD 6 lug. Ive been looking at the options to lift this van by 2-3 inches. I have contacted Weldtech and they gave me their options. Im looking to spend no more than 1500. So can anyone help me? I was thinking of getting weldtech coilover spacers. 2 inch block for the rear and change shocks all around. Fox shocks? or Bilstein?

marret

I recommend Weldtec. Can't offer a recommendation for anyone else. I've got Fox shocks on my van and like them. Had good results with Bilstein too, but for custom applications like a lift I plan to stay with Fox.

45Kevin

Adventurer
Here is my build thread. https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/marooned-in-paradise-another-express-awd.156576/

There are several lift options in this thread. https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/gm-fullsize-awd-van-info-thread.137390/ Maybe this should be a sticky.

For the front the new keys for the torsion bars seem to be the best way to get 2-3" of lift and for rear the best option seems to be the 2500 suburban springs. You will need new shocks on all four corners with the lift.

Last edited:

KONNMAN

Thank you. Ive read throught the threads but since I have a 1500 2wd parts are different. Perhaps someone just like my van have done a lift?

Len.Barron

Observer
On the front; as soon as you get beyond 1.5" or so the geometry of the spindle/tire will be a problem, that's why weldtec uses custom spindles. This is the main limitation of the A-arm suspension both for the stock 2wd and AWD vans as well as the Quigley equipped rigs. Jeremy did a great thing for you guys designing and selling those spindles.

bbbthreat

If going for quick/easy/cheap:

You can use 2" undercoil spacers for Chevy C3500's for the front. Add-a-leafs, lift blocks and U-bolts for Chevy C or K3500 trucks for the rear. Shock extensions for the same vehicles work as well. All are found on eBay for pretty cheap. Still trying to figure out if the shackles are the same.

Ridetech Fox shocks are also available. The AWD uses Express 3500 shocks after lifting the rear. Not sure on the fronts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-GMC-S...581550&hash=item4b487cd52a:g:Vv8AAOSwuAVWxe8v

Honestly, I would save up and do it right, for the long term. I did the cheap spacers, and got what I needed out of them for little cash, but I know I will be going down the route of Weldtec's lift spindles at some point early next year. He has it all pretty well sorted for these vans. If you really need to do stay within that budget of $1500 you could just do the eBay spacers front and rear, and go to WeldTec for the Fox shocks for your suspension. But, I think you would be better served saving a little more for your budget.

KONNMAN

Thanks for the reply. I would like to go all out on this van but its a RWD but dont plan to get rid of it. I just want a little lift to add bigger tires. And the shocks are at their end.

Are there any lift blocks you recommend?

Those Fox racing shocks you posted arent for 1500?

bbbthreat

Thanks for the reply. I would like to go all out on this van but its a RWD but dont plan to get rid of it. I just want a little lift to add bigger tires. And the shocks are at their end.

Are there any lift blocks you recommend?

Those Fox racing shocks you posted arent for 1500?

Any block will work, but make sure it is steel and not aluminum. Want to avoid any galvanic corrosion, especially if you live in a wet/humid area, or where they salt the roads. Also, make sure they are tapered, to help maintain your pinion angle. Lots of debate with straight cut or angled, but if you aren't going huge on your lift, it is not a huge deal. You will need new u bolts, but they can all be bought together.

Another option for you would be the suburban 2500 spring pack, which would give you your lift in the rear. Also an add-a-leaf is an option. But if you go that route try and get the longest leaf possible. Short ones will make the rear more jarring. If you do an extra leaf, it will allow you to use the stock U-bolts. You may consider this rather than blocks, depending on the age/mileage of the vehicle and how often it was loaded up.

As far as shocks go, the AWD 1500's used the 2500/3500 express shocks after they lifted the rear, due to their longer length. The rear shocks I referenced are for the 2500/3500 express. I would assume the fronts would work, but I would wonder about the valving being too stiff. To make it easy, just snag the WeldTec Fox setup.

And of course the easiest solution is just getting the complete kit with everything from WeldTec.

What gearing are you running, and what size tires are you planning?

Last edited:

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for the kind words guys....^^^^
Besides running our coil spacer check with a company called overland van, I believe they make spindles for the 1500 van. I have never seen them so? but may be another option. As for the shocks we have those. FOr all of you that have a 2500/3500 we have you covered with our spindles.

Not 100% but think these we 265x70x17

Please let me know if I can help

KONNMAN

Thanks!! Im planning on running 265/75/16. I have to do some homework to see exacly which route i want to take. I dont want to go crazy because at the end of the day it a 6cyl and 2wd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94