Another On Board Shower System Question...only this time its different... I hope

TommyArgh

So the plan for my trailer is to use a Valterra RV Tank and my pump is going to be the water pump from a Prius. I found the idea on Youtube for the water pump Link is here... https://youtu.be/gaGRUTSLz_s. So the pump constantly runs when power is applied like a closed loop system in a vehicle. The issue is that the pump would continue to pump water up into said sprayer inevitably wasting gallons of useful water. I want to be able to control the flow of the water so I need some input here. Obviously Id need to run a switch to the pump but is there a way I could "trigger" it to pump when needed? Any input would be greatly appeciated.

Last edited:

JMacs

Observer
The link to the video goes to an O'Reilly Auto parts video.

I've never taken one apart, but it sounds like what you need is something similar to your kitchen sink and sink sprayer. When you don't want water coming out the sprayer, you want it to go into the sink / tank. you would still want the switch to start and stop the pump.

Another option is an RV faucet with a micro switch. http://www.rvpartscountry.com/FaucetForUseWithShurfloModel100NautilusPumpsSinglePieceDeckMount360DegreeRotationArcTypeSpoutWithHandleABSPlastic34InchMountingHole38InchNPTSlidingCeramicPlateValveWithBuiltInSwitchMounting

I don't know if the switch has the capacity to power the pump or if you would need a relay. The pump might not like the short duty cycle of turning on and off every time you wanted water either.

TommyArgh

The link to the video goes to an O'Reilly Auto parts video.

I've never taken one apart, but it sounds like what you need is something similar to your kitchen sink and sink sprayer. When you don't want water coming out the sprayer, you want it to go into the sink / tank. you would still want the switch to start and stop the pump.

Another option is an RV faucet with a micro switch. http://www.rvpartscountry.com/FaucetForUseWithShurfloModel100NautilusPumpsSinglePieceDeckMount360DegreeRotationArcTypeSpoutWithHandleABSPlastic34InchMountingHole38InchNPTSlidingCeramicPlateValveWithBuiltInSwitchMounting

I don't know if the switch has the capacity to power the pump or if you would need a relay. The pump might not like the short duty cycle of turning on and off every time you wanted water either.

Sorry about that the link is fixed. I promise I wasnt trying to promote O'Reilly!

Thats definitely an option. I didnt really think about the cycle time of the pump. That might be harder on the pump than constantly running.

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Your water pump should shut it self off when your water system is closed at 40-50 lbs by it self. Just have a hand held shower head with an open and close button on it. Just like any rv on market today

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Indeed. Many proper water pumps, like the ShurFlo pumps, automatically turn on when there's a demande, ie: pressure in the system drops when you open your tap/valve

alia176

Explorer
So the plan for my trailer is to use a Valterra RV Tank and my pump is going to be the water pump from a Prius. I found the idea on Youtube for the water pump Link is here... https://youtu.be/gaGRUTSLz_s. So the pump constantly runs when power is applied like a closed loop system in a vehicle. The issue is that the pump would continue to pump water up into said sprayer inevitably wasting gallons of useful water. I want to be able to control the flow of the water so I need some input here. Obviously Id need to run a switch to the pump but is there a way I could "trigger" it to pump when needed? Any input would be greatly appeciated.

I get the sense this project is about fun and re-inventing the wheel somewhat. As stated, you need a pressure switch that turns the pump off when you stop the shower head from flowing. Or, you get a shower head with a built in on/off nozzle + switch then you can turn the pump on/off with the shower head and not waste water. But, ShurFlo does this already with a built in press switch inside their RV water pumps.

Another thought is that while you're showering and your shower water source is nearby (say a 5 gal jerry can), you can keep the pump running and put the shower head inside the water container. So, it's recirculating while you lather up or whatever. When it's time to rinse off, pull the shower head out, rinse yourself off and then stick it back into the container for the next person. This is the method I use when I'm showering with a Helton heat exchanger under the hood. The water keeps recirculating and heating up the 5 gal can of water while I pull the shower in/out of the container.

Good luck.

TommyArgh

Indeed. Many proper water pumps, like the ShurFlo pumps, automatically turn on when there's a demande, ie: pressure in the system drops when you open your tap/valve

I think this is the way Im going to end up going.

I get the sense this project is about fun and re-inventing the wheel somewhat. As stated, you need a pressure switch that turns the pump off when you stop the shower head from flowing. Or, you get a shower head with a built in on/off nozzle + switch then you can turn the pump on/off with the shower head and not waste water. But, ShurFlo does this already with a built in press switch inside their RV water pumps.

Another thought is that while you're showering and your shower water source is nearby (say a 5 gal jerry can), you can keep the pump running and put the shower head inside the water container. So, it's recirculating while you lather up or whatever. When it's time to rinse off, pull the shower head out, rinse yourself off and then stick it back into the container for the next person. This is the method I use when I'm showering with a Helton heat exchanger under the hood. The water keeps recirculating and heating up the 5 gal can of water while I pull the shower in/out of the container.

Good luck.

It is about having some fun with it and personalizing it. I do happen to work for an auto salvage yard and Im trying to build this on a budget and when I stumbled across that video I thought it was neat since there are an abundance of Prius' on the road and in our yard. I have an idea to run a closed loop system that will just re-circulate the water not being used back into the tank via a "t" in line with a sprayer head. Im afraid that it might not have any pressure. Ill report back after the weekend.

R Thomas

Observer
I think this is the way Im going to end up going.

It is about having some fun with it and personalizing it. I do happen to work for an auto salvage yard and Im trying to build this on a budget and when I stumbled across that video I thought it was neat since there are an abundance of Prius' on the road and in our yard. I have an idea to run a closed loop system that will just re-circulate the water not being used back into the tank via a "t" in line with a sprayer head. Im afraid that it might not have any pressure. Ill report back after the weekend.
You could look for or build a PRV, pressure release valve. Switch the pump on and the pump will start. The PRV will be piped back to the tank and open when the pressure exceeds X psi. When you open your shower valve, the pressure will all go the shower head. When you close the shower valve the PRV will open back to the tank. This will allow the pump to run while you are showering, without cycling the pump on and off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bumpintheroad

If you're doing this to save money because you can get the Prius water pump nearly free then the low-cost option is to use a waterproof toggle switch to turn-on and -off the pump as needed. There are some on Amazon for as little as $8, and any marine/boating store should have them in stock for closer to $20.

When you start getting into pressure switches and relays the cost of the "free" water pump wont save you much versus a Sureflow or Flojet pump with built-in pressure switch, and the wiring will be messier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles