Another shock question!

Plumberjohn

Observer
Hello All,

So... I need to do something about my rear suspension. Is says and the wheels have an amazing amount of camber especially when towing. I’m pretty sure this is why I have pulled the axels out of two diffs. So my question is this. OME make a rear spring (2910) that is only a .5” lift. Nothing really. I was looking at those with KYB g-a shocks. Reason being is because I already replaced my front struts in the summer (blown out) with KYBs. Now I’m questioning if I can run the OME MD springs with stock struts/shocks. My poor old Monty is high KMs (325,000kms), but I want to keep it going. I just don’t have the heart to dump a lot of $ into it as the OME kits are a bit pricey in Canada. Any ways. I need some advise on the stock shock/strut with MD springs. Let me know your experience if you could. Thanks!

plh

Explorer
I hated KYB shocks in the Gen 3. You pay shipping I'll give you (or anybody) a pair (rear) with 5K miles on them to try.

Plumberjohn

Observer
I’m getting a bit nervous about them now! I think I have read one positive post about the KYB shock. Might ship them on back...

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
KYB Gas-a-just shocks have always been my "go to". Excellent performance for the price. BUT! on my Gen3, they are quite stiff. I hadn't noticed it really, except my wife, who drives an '03 Montero Sport Limited, complained about the ride in mine on the road, especially bumps. Turns out she's right of course. I guess our monocoque body and independent suspension may not be the best match for the KYBs. It handles fine, but I think I've lost some of that ability to absorb a sharp bump without transferring everything to the "seat". Looking back, I probably should have gone ahead and jumped up to the Bilstein's for this application. Oh well, the KYBs have been a good fit on my other vehicles in the past.

Reactions: plh

Plumberjohn

Observer
Thanks for that! For the price, they Looked too good to pass on. I am going to try them. But I did end up buying OME springs too. Just medium duty for the rear (1.4” lift). If I don’t do it now,I’d regret it later!!

Plumberjohn

Observer
Just read my second last post (proof reading should be done before you post!), I bought all 4 lift springs. Not just the rear with lift. Although, I do love that 80’s Camaro look too...

Tliska10

I have kyb gas adjust, on my ome med springs all around and they ride great, I've out close to 5k on this set up with light offroading and no issue

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The worst part about KYB's is that they last FOREVER, so getting something better later kind of might not happen. I will say that if you've always driven cars and a Montero feels to you like it's going to roll over at every corner KYB's are the solution to that. They are pretty good if you do mostly street and live in a state that doesn't have poorly maintaied roads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz