Another this one or this one...WARN M8k Vs VR8k

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Just about to pull the trigger on a winch for my new ARB on the way for the Tacoma. Is it worth the extra $$ (not really a lot I guess but every bit counts) to go for the M8000 over the new VR8000. M8000 is the old stand by it seams and is is also a bit lighter witch is always a plus. The truck is a mild build, not going down the Rubicon or any thing like that but I do travel solo more often then not. Ideally I would never have to use the thing, but I want some thing that is going to perform when I need it. Any thoughts or suggestions from those who may have either or both?
Thanks!

fourfa

Observer
Odd... the VR8000 is spec'ed out as a lower-end product, but Amazon has both the M8000 and VR8000 for the same price. In that case it's a no-brainer. (I've been thrilled with my M8000 on my Tacoma, but I definitely wouldn't want a SLOWER winch like the VR)

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Face it, the VR8 isn't exactly ringing the bell on reviews and the M8000 is the best winch Warn ever made

Expedition Leader
FWIW, this info is from a Warn rep. on IH8MUD:

"The WARN VR winches have different motors, geartrains, remotes, and finishes vs. the M-series... They're backed by the same limited lifetime warranty that we have on all of our other 12V truck winches, and we test them just like all of our other winches. These are currently on our assembly lines in Oregon.

Yes, some of the parts come from global suppliers, but other parts are also are made in our Oregon plants. In addition, they're all designed, engineered, tested, and assembled in Clackamas, OR."

Here is the thread if you want to read the whole thing in context: http://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-recovery/476122-warn-vr-winches.html

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
FWIW, this info is from a Warn rep. on IH8MUD:

"The WARN VR winches have different motors, geartrains, remotes, and finishes vs. the M-series... They're backed by the same limited lifetime warranty that we have on all of our other 12V truck winches, and we test them just like all of our other winches. These are currently on our assembly lines in Oregon.

Yes, some of the parts come from global suppliers, but other parts are also are made in our Oregon plants. In addition, they're all designed, engineered, tested, and assembled in Clackamas, OR."

Here is the thread if you want to read the whole thing in context: http://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-recovery/476122-warn-vr-winches.html

Yeah, that was me that posted on iH8mud.com.

FYI, the M8000 is faster, has a contactor (vs. solenoids in the VR8000), VR uses a different motor, has a different finish, and different remote. Same warranty on both. The M8000 is going to be higher performance, but more money.

- Andy

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Well after LOTS of reading and talking to folks "in the know", I think I am going to try out the VR8000. This seams to fit all of my requirements specs are very close to the older M8000s and it has the same warranty. I think Ill just take the solenoids and the cost differences for gas instead of the new control pack and a bit of line speed. Thanks for chiming in Andy. It is good to see you on the boards to clear up stuff.Thanks

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
It's fine, no worries, because you live in the US of A and can just give Old Andy a shout down at Warn to get a new one! Let me know how it goes as they are not CE approved yet so we don't get them for me to break/test

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
Well after LOTS of reading and talking to folks "in the know", I think I am going to try out the VR8000. This seams to fit all of my requirements specs are very close to the older M8000s and it has the same warranty. I think Ill just take the solenoids and the cost differences for gas instead of the new control pack and a bit of line speed. Thanks for chiming in Andy. It is good to see you on the boards to clear up stuff.Thanks

You're welcome. Any time.

- Andy

mb1k

Observer
Yeah, that was me that posted on iH8mud.com.

FYI, the M8000 is faster, has a contactor (vs. solenoids in the VR8000), VR uses a different motor, has a different finish, and different remote. Same warranty on both. The M8000 is going to be higher performance, but more money.

- Andy

Andy,

If you're still on here, I'm researching the VR-8 and M8 as the two choices that will fit my space limited Jeep Cherokee install. Am I to understand that after 2017 the VR-8 is now shipping with Albright connectors versus solenoids? Thanks - Joe

jadmt

ignore button user
The VR series is made in China and not in Oregon like was stated above. I got one of the first VR10000S' and it was stamped made in China. I had great luck with it tho. I just bought a new VR10 as I sold the vehicle the VR10000S was on and it to is made in China. I can attest to the fact that the VR series are a bit slow but I am not racing so it is ok. they pull and pull.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
mb1k - that is correct. The newest generation of VR does come with a genuine Albright contactor—no solenoids.
As jadmt stated, VR is now made in China. However, it's not just a me-too off-the-shelf off-brand winch with a WARN badge, however. It's our design, our engineering, our testing. Same lifetime warranty (mechanical) and seven year electrical warranty. All of the other WARN winches still have a final point of assembly in Clackamas, OR.

Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles