Another Van Build... E350 V10 4x4 & Cargo Trailer

another_mike

Adventurer
I had a couple more shots planned, one of which was the insides of the buildings at Animas forks.

Im very happy with those photos.
colo2018-5.jpg

colo2018-6.jpg

A little down the road I came across two guys with motorcycles with tents. This was about 11,700 feet up. I wanted to camp in this area for another Milky Way photo and asked if they were coming or going, they told me they were just setting up and I was welcome to join them. I headed into Silverton, grabbed some food, and came back. We sat around the camp fire for a little and then they went into their tents and I went to get a good photo. I noticed one of them still had a light on in their tent and decided it was a good photo op.

colo2018-7.jpg

The next morning I got one of their emails to send them the photo, I cooked them some pancakes since ive traveled on a bike before and know how hard it is compared to my van glamper, and we parted ways.

another_mike

Adventurer
I spent the next night at the KOA in Ouray for a much needed hot shower. I think it had been a few days since I last showered.

Then I went back up through Silverton, through Animas Forks and over Cinnamon pass to the Redcloud Peak trailhead.

colo2018-8.jpg

The next morning I woke around 4am and began my hike. Because it was still a new moon I had zero ambient light. Because im a flatlander this hike would take me a while. I reached the summit around 8am. 14,035 feet.

IMG_5999[1].JPG

The descent is much quicker and I was back at my van by 11am.

I spent a few days after this recovering, met up with some friends and their RV trailers for a little more camping.

colo2018-9.jpg

Spent my last night there, August 27th, just below Medano Pass, inside the Great Sand Dunes Preserve. I had passed through the Park, saw the prices of the campground, and decided to find my own.

colo2018-10.jpg

The last night there is always a melancholic mood, knowing my trip is over and I have a 2000 mile drive back to the miserable Florida heat.

Since I was far south, I decided to drive back south through Texas toward I10. Thats one miserable drive ill never do again. Just in Texas alone I got 2 more chips in my windshield and another broke a headlight.. Once I left my door open while refueling and I spent hours after that trying to kill the dozen flies which decided to invade my interior. It was way too hot and humid and decided to drive back in 2 days instead of the usual 3.

another_mike

Adventurer
A few lessons learned and comments from/about this trip.

The van rides so much smoother now. I dont know if its just broken in or the more weight from the interior. In the past month ive had both my 70 year old mom that knows nothing about cars, and my friend who knows a lot about cars both comment how smooth the van rides.

I need the ability to shower. It doesnt necessarily need to be a hot shower, but a luke warm one will do.

I need solar. With my fan going, something charging and the fridge running, ill get about 2.5 days before I need to begin charging the batteries. Future trips will probably see about 5 days of boondocking.

I need an awning and roof rack. Sometimes I just want to sit under cover when the afternoon rain starts.

I want another cabinet on the drivers side right behind the seat. While the current cabinet had a lot of room, I needed just a little bit more. I didnt want to climb on the bed to constantly get things from the back of the passenger side cabinet.

Since I had just built a quick bed platform; with the mattress, it made it hard to get things out of the cabinets that were level with the mattress. The bed simply got in the way. Id like to do either a fold up or sliding bed platform for when im parked.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Got a question for you. Since you are planning to get a roof rack, would you prefer to put the spare up there, or keep it in the rear door?

another_mike

Adventurer
Got a question for you. Since you are planning to get a roof rack, would you prefer to put the spare up there, or keep it in the rear door?
No way would I put the spare up there. Its no less than 100lbs and about 9 feet up. Besides, between a future solar panel, the existing vent, and a possible future solar shower of some sort, there wouldnt be enough room.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
No way would I put the spare up there. Its no less than 100lbs and about 9 feet up. Besides, between a future solar panel, the existing vent, and a possible future solar shower of some sort, there wouldnt be enough room.
How many times have you had to use your spare since you've had the van?

Raul

Adventurer
Great shots of your trip. Thanks for sharing.
I-10 is not a scenic road. Living in Texas I run to the Rockies whenever I can.
I like your interior. Replacing the headliner bump with flat plywood has worked great for me, even with the rear AC.

another_mike

Adventurer
How many times have you had to use your spare since you've had the van?
Besides a rotation every 5,000 miles? None.. although I easily could’ve been the guy I met last summer on my way back from Silverton that had an old railroad spike through his tire.

another_mike

Adventurer
With future solar and awning in mind, I ordered Ujoints roof rack. I chose this rack because it gives me the ability to move some of the crossbars to account for the roof vent placement. I ordered the awning brackets with it. Then ordered an ARB awning, the 2500.

Looking down on it from the 2nd floor of my place, Its obvious not all the crossbars are straight :ROFLMAO:

IMG_0452.JPG

I think ill want to go another 6" forward with it in the future. I also wish ARB made a longer awning.

IMG_0451.JPG

From a motorcycle rally last month:
IMG_6460[1].JPG

another_mike

Adventurer
The next thing I need to do is another window. I want to do it on the drivers side along side of the bed. Something with a screen.

Be jealous of my amazing MS paint skills.
IMG_0432.JPG

Im looking at the CR Laurence VW1033 window. Although they also make an Awning Style AW1033.

Since my fantastic fan is directly above the bed, and I usually sleep with my head toward the back doors, I think having the opening more toward the front more betterer.

Does anyone know which way the vw1033 opens? They list a left and right side. Would the left side (drivers side) window having the opening toward the back of the van or the front? If its the back side which slides, is there a reason why I couldnt use a right side window on the left? Maybe the sliding portion doesnt seal well that way...

Or maybe I should just go with the awning style....

Opinions?

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Besides a rotation every 5,000 miles? None.. although I easily could’ve been the guy I met last summer on my way back from Silverton that had an old railroad spike through his tire.

That's exactly what I was getting at. I didn't think about rotation.

Cool build. I think I will put the tire on my rack and build a steel trash box (bear resistant) on the rear door. Of course, the first time I need to pull that spare off the roof I may regret it.

Awesome build. I lived in FL once upon a time, now I live in Arkansas. The humidity takes a little getting used to in both states. I want to go up in the Rockies once I get my cargo built up. I have been thinking about a small bed that would fold up against the wall also. Interested to see what's next for the build (adding a window or two is also on my list).

another_mike

Adventurer
Well, I just ordered the CR Laurence AW1033 awning window. About the same size as the VW1033, but opens different. Chose the awing style because I feel like im more likely to leave that open in a very light rain over a horizontal sliding window.

Random video I found on the window:

tims5377

This is very similar to what I am thinking of doing. Would you still want the solar if you weren't planning on running a fridge? I was planning on a stand alone electrical system: 1 or 2 batteries, a couple LED lights like you have and a vent fan. I figured I can charge electronics with an inverter while we are driving.

I want my bed to fold up against the wall like a futon or slid into itself, idk what the best option is. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

another_mike

Adventurer
This is very similar to what I am thinking of doing. Would you still want the solar if you weren't planning on running a fridge? I was planning on a stand alone electrical system: 1 or 2 batteries, a couple LED lights like you have and a vent fan. I figured I can charge electronics with an inverter while we are driving.

I want my bed to fold up against the wall like a futon or slid into itself, idk what the best option is. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
Its hard to say... The fridge is, by far, the biggest item to draw current. But choosing to go solar really depends on other things too, like how long you plan on sitting in one place and not driving. Even without a fridge, the longer the stay, the longer youll draw from a battery.

Without a fridge, sitting in the same spot for a day or two, I may not have done solar.. or I mightve just done one house battery and a 100w panel. Really once you have the "house" electrical system installed, adding a solor controller and a panel isnt all that much more work.

I have no need for an inverter, everything I use and charge has a DC charger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior