Another vehicle selection thread

oc357

I am more of a lurker here as I have been taking in all the info I can, however it is now vehicle selection time:

This is my list of requirements:
Vehicle will be my daily driver
Vehicle must be shorter than 6'2" when completed - I park in a parking garage at work and it has a 6'2" height
Vehicle must fit two car seats one rear facing, one forward with room for the front seat to go all the way back
Vehicle must be able to tow a trailer, approx 5000lbs
4x4
Vehicle purchase budget - $15-18K

Nice to haves:
3rd Row - if an SUV
2wd/4wd transfer case - it seems full time 4wd eats up gas and tires from some reading I have done
I currently drive a 2WD 2005 Ram Quad Cab - I would like to keep the vehicle around this size as I have to drive in a city that seems to be designed for mini-coopers

Vehicles I have been considering:
Ford Excursion V-10 - test drove the diesel and the car seat fit fine and there seemed to be alot of room, the V-10 matches the budget.
Jeep Commander Hemi
Ford F-150 (2009-2010) - would stretch the budget for this one if certified
Nissan Titan
Nissan Frontier (not sure about car seat fit in this one, any personal experience is appreciated)

Vehicles eliminated:
Ram Mega Cab 4x4 - too tall
Grand Cherokee - if I get an SUV I want a third row

Vehicle Use:
Daily Driver - maybe 10-15 miles per day
Family Trips - 1200 miles one way when going back home
Family Camping trips - would like to go exploring the area (VA/WV/NC/TN) while I am on this side of the country. Probably with a ground tent, not sure what the trails look like in this area if I would need a lift, etc.
Shooting - I am looking at getting into 3 gun matches, so I would like something that I could throw a gun vault or something similar into.

If anyone has experiences with the vehicles above or has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

3 DOGS

Observer
Ford F150 crew cab. I have a 12 and the rear room is plenty for car seats and gear bags. Plus obviously you have the back end to fill up too. For your guns look at Tuffy products. I got the under the rear seat lock box and it has plenty of room for 3 guns.
The biggest issue will be the price - newer F150s are still getting a premium it seems. I would look into finding a fleet f150 - they usually still have a warranty but are less due to higher miles.
Just my thoughts

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Are you sure on the 6' 2" height is correct? Just about everything is over 6 ft tall. An Excursion is over 6 ' easy.

How about a Dodge Durango first gen? Much less than your budget so lots of room to build. They are relatively compact, might be short enough, good engines and doing a SAS is not too tough plus third row.

Last edited:

oc357

3 Dogs, thanks for your input, I looked at a friends 2010 F-150 Crew Cab and it was huge back there.

Shocker, I can open the sunroof on my 2WD Ram and touch the garage ceiling so I am sure it is between 6'2" and 6'4". I haven't looked at a first gen but just talked to a friend with a Gen 2 who really likes it and it falls within the budget, thanks for the input.

Raul B

Explorer
Ford F150 crew cab. I have a 12 and the rear room is plenty for car seats and gear bags. Plus obviously you have the back end to fill up too. For your guns look at Tuffy products. I got the under the rear seat lock box and it has plenty of room for 3 guns.
The biggest issue will be the price - newer F150s are still getting a premium it seems. I would look into finding a fleet f150 - they usually still have a warranty but are less due to higher miles.
Just my thoughts

Have a picture of your lock box mounted? I'm looking to get one for my 2012

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Wow! The 1994-2001 Ram 1500 2wd is about 72" tall and the next gen is about 75" tall. You ain't kiddin. :)

The 2nd gen Durango is 72" tall. The 1st gen is 73" tall. So either will be OK.

I would look for a 2000 or earlier 5.9 powered Durango. Manual shift transfer case and the 360 make it a good choice. Fuel economy is not so good, but a tough rig overall.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
I would say a f150 supercrew. You could even look at the 04-08 models lots of room in the back with the front seat all the way back. I had a 2006 supercrew and I was able to get two car seats back there no problem.

X2Outdoors

Fishcal247
My vote f150 super crew. I have an 09 and it's been a great rig. Great for exploring,camping,fishing and the grand kids.i just got a snug top shell for it. 18-19 mpg on raid trips. My son has an 06,two girls two Labradors. He loves his also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oc357

So far the super crew is winning, I just have to go check out the difference in rear seat room between the the 04-08 and the 09-present models.

udoxx

Observer
Commander

I have an '09 Overland Commander. As it is with a two inch OME lift and 32in MTs it sits above 6'2". With a few breathing mods and tune I get 16 mpg hwy and about 13 mpg town. Tire wear is fine as I rotate religiously every 6k miles. It is my daily driver and works well as the family off road vehicle. With a lo speed tcase, front and rear LSD capable of full lock it is very capable. It is small enough to fit on trails where I may take my Wranglers but large enough for my family of five. I am not sure how the rear child seats will fit but there is space enough for my son who is 6'3". This vehicle is very limited in aftermarket parts I believe that may be one of the negatives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online