Another winch rope install

Eventhough

Explorer
We use the 'neat' method and if you spool the line on with some tension and the rows are tight beside each other then we have never experienced a slipped wrap - even with some HARD pulls. Now wrap the line on the drum loosely and you are asking for trouble, even with steel.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Masterpull schwag is on...

Alex,

Thanks for the fairlead, rope, winchstop thimble, and extension. Can't wait to use it out in the field. I'm ready for anything now...

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

Regards,

BWJ

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
We use the 'neat' method and if you spool the line on with some tension and the rows are tight beside each other then we have never experienced a slipped wrap - even with some HARD pulls. Now wrap the line on the drum loosely and you are asking for trouble, even with steel.
That's fine for "looks" when you are home and have something to provide enough tension. After multiple pulls on the trail then it's better to cross it up. It's not so bad when its burried once but if you have multiple sections of buried line then it gets wedged so tight you need two guys to free spool it. Bad things happen when it goes unnoticed when powering out because the line starts wrapping backwards because of the stuck rope. "Hey get that guy another fire extinguisher while I work on my birds nest." The next problem with the lumpy mess you now have on the drum is that the speed of the pull goes up and slows down because the height of the line against the drum is changing all the time. Care and finesse with speed is not often very important but can be. I hate to disagree with the experts but when your on the side of a mountain and need that winch to be operated by your buddy because your feet are on the breaks then you don't need the hassle of line that won't free wheel. I'm no expert but have made hundreds of pulls. Always criss cross synthetic line unless the looks of it are more important than the use of it.

Eventhough

Explorer
Always criss cross synthetic line unless the looks of it are more important than the use of it.

I disagree. I fully understand how winch line can get pinched between interior wraps. I wheel a lot and teach winching and recovery also at events and private trips. I've put some hard hard pulls on my winch and know that you can slip and pinch an exterior line wrap but crossing your line also has disadvantages. Heck, you can slip and pinch steel cable too. People often get in an unnecessary hurry during recoveries and when one does that you don't take the proper steps to store your gear for the next recovery attempt. Spooling your line under tension definitely helps. Keep your individual wraps close together. There is some skill involved in respooling your winch. It can be done with hand tension and still be able to keep from pinching interior wraps.

Eventhough

Explorer
What's the disadvantage?

Crossing your line:
- takes up more spool space which = less line storage which = less reach,
- takes up more spool space which = a over filled spool which = more chance of winch breakage due to jamming your line (think about what happens in a side pull situation)
- it provides an uneven spooling surface = less consistent pulling power (think about the additional power you have with an empty spool vs a full spool, then look at how crossing your synthetic line makes an uneven surface), a minimal issue but still relevant.
- Puts small 'kinks' in your line. Synthetic line is strongest in a straight line, kinds = not straight. A minimal issue but still relevant.
- Also spooling your line with the 'neat' method gives you a consistent line exit angle from your winch. Crossing your line back and forth does not provide a consistent line exit. This can create problems with the line unspooling nicely especially on side pulls.

If you have issues with pulling so hard with your winch and synthetic line that you are splitting wraps and pinching your line then you need to take a few extra seconds when you are respooling your line and put some tension on it. I have very very little issues splitting wraps, even with only using hand tension (I do put my back into it). I've seen plenty of steel cable split wraps and get pinched too.

ETA: Think of this too. Your line will not spool criss-crossed when winching in, so after use you will have to unspool your line to the manually respool it in in a criss-crossed method. Why not at a minimum spool it as hand tight as you can get it then, or leave it spooled in as it did on it's own as long as the line is not stacked?

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Sounds like anyway will work. We got stuck in a blizzard one time and I made at least 20 pulls. After a while I'd just coil the line up and toss it in the cab! Synthetic line is so easy to work with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz