Anvil 2015 JKU Sport Overland Build

Yuke

Adventurer
So i decided to pull the trigger on a RTT. This is going to be a trial run for me, and I did not want to spend a ton of money before I see if I love / hate it. My friend has one, its held up well, and I decided to give the Smittybilt Overlander tent a try.

The unit arrived at a local freight carrier on Friday Morning. Instead of waiting until Monday, and not having it for our weekend trip we went to the warehouse to pick it up. The installation plan was unclear but we went over with tools hoping for the best.

Luckily they warehouse workers let us use a spare bay to install the tent on my roof rack which made it easier and sheltered us from the snow / rain.

jeep118 by Chris Yuknis, on Flickr

jeep119 by Chris Yuknis, on Flickr

jeep120 by Chris Yuknis, on Flickr

Last edited:

eternus

Observer
747C3DA1-6348-447B-BC4C-20FE4F30B9E4_zpsugrhpdm5.jpg

What are you using for your replacement AM/FM antenna? It looks like a 18" (or 24"?) Firestik? I found a 3' firestik antenna online for AM/FM but they say you have to run new wiring and mounts and all kinds of stuff. It looks like you just unscrewed your old antenna and put that fat guy on there? I'd like to pick one up if you remember where you got it.

SES50

Observer
What are you using for your replacement AM/FM antenna? It looks like a 18" (or 24"?) Firestik? I found a 3' firestik antenna online for AM/FM but they say you have to run new wiring and mounts and all kinds of stuff. It looks like you just unscrewed your old antenna and put that fat guy on there? I'd like to pick one up if you remember where you got it.

Here is the one I put on from Quadratec hoping it would help the radio reception on my jeep. It went into the original mount and there was no need to do any rewiring. Radio reception still sucks but it matches the black fire stick on the back of my jeep.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_5011_07.htm

Yuke

Adventurer
The FM radio antenna is just a universal off amazon. It had no effect on the reception, just matched the look of the firestick

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Great shot! :beer:
Snow camping is a lot of fun, when you're well prepared. :)

How'd you like the tent?
Looking forward to following along with how this works out for you guys.

Yuke

Adventurer
Snow camping is a blast.

The Tent did great, didn't buckle under the snow and held up to some high winds.

Josh, who you can see taking a big swig on the right hand side has an earlier smittybilt tent. There are definitely some upgrades you notice on mine that I will try to cover soon. All in all, great bang for your buck if you don't care that its not a big name tent. I am happy for the price.

Yuke

Adventurer
Spent the weekend in virginia with my fiance.

jeep123 by Chris Yuknis, on Flickr

Jake came along as well of course.

jeep124 by Chris Yuknis, on Flickr

Jake also spent his first night in the roof top tent. He was happy up there and we zipped him up inside two sleeping bags with us to keep warm. He seemed to get a kick out of the higher vantage point in the morning as he hung out for quite a while just looking around.

jeep125 by Chris Yuknis, on Flickr

jeep126 by Chris Yuknis, on Flickr

jeep127 by Chris Yuknis, on Flickr

jeep128 by Chris Yuknis, on Flickr

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles