any deals on full kits??

volcomsurfer

Adventurer
The go power solar elite setup. $2,700. This is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Is there anything out there comparable to this whole kit but cheaper? I priced it out individually and found some other brands that I'd have to piece together that wasn't that much cheaper. I'd rather stick with a system that's all one brand so they compliment each other better. I think I'm just in sticker shock mode, but damn that's a huge hit. Thanks in advance for any input.

71uVNtXTpAL._SL1500_.jpg

310 Watt/17.2 Amp Solar Kit

SOLAR ELITE
Specs: 320 WATT SOLAR KIT WITH
GP-SW2000-12
GP-SWR-B
GP-DC-KIT4
GP-TS
GPC-45
GPC-SMART-CONTROL
SKU: 8-39085-00165-3
Weight 104 lbs
Packaged Dimensions

Included in Kit:
GPC-Smart Control
Converts GPC Chargers to 4 Stage
SKU: 8-39085-00151-6
Weight: 0.35 lbs
Packaged Dimensions: 1.5 x 2.5 x 0.75 Inches

GPC-45, 45 Amp Battery Charger 12V, 1 Bank
45 Amp Battery Charger 12V, 1 Bank
Battery Banks: 1
Battery Charger: 45 AMP, 12V
SKU: 8-39085-00147-9
Weight: 5.5 lbs
Packaged Dimensions: 7 x 6.5 x 3.5 Inches

GP-DC-KIT4 2000-2500 WATT / 24V 3100-4000 WATT Inverter Install Kit
Includes :pair 10' of #2/0 cable, 300 Amp Fuse & Block
SKU: 8-39085-00041-0
Weight: 11 lbs
Packaged Dimensions: 11 x 12 x 3.25 Inches

GP-SW2000-12,2000 WATT PURE SINE WAVE INVERTER 12V
Wattage: 2000
Surge: 4000, 12 Volt, 60Hz, Pure Sine Wave
SKU: 8-39085-00068-7
Weight: 19 lbs
Packaged Dimensions: 20 x 10.75 x 10.25 Inches

GP-SWR-B-12, REMOTE FOR THE 12V GP-SW1000, 2000, & 3000
SKU: 8-39085-00125-7
Weight: 1.5 lbs
Packaged Dimensions: 7.5 x 5.5 x 2.75 Inches

GP-TS,30 AMP TRANSFER SWITCH QUICK CONNECT
SKU: 8-39085-00019-9
Weight: 3.1 lbs
Packaged Dimensions:9 x 4 x 8 Inches

doug720

Expedition Leader
Nice kit, but it seems very lite on generation, and heavy on consumption equipment. What is the system to be used for?

In our motorhome, we have double the generation, and run a smaller inverter, with eight 6 volt deep cycle batteries, and a 40 amp charger.

We use our system a lot in the winter months and our panels are flat mounted, which is not ideal for charging output, and in summer, we are at least 40+% partially shaded by trees. We also have a relatively high demand, so we needed additional panels to keep the system charged. With our set up, we can go about a week or so without a generator recharge.

Hope this helps.

unseenone

Explorer
My experience has been that you can do just as well by assembling the best bits of all components on your own without the shortcomings most "kits" come with. If you don't have the skill, time or inclination to build it yourself, remember bigger is better.

AndrewP

Explorer
Let me agree with the others. $2700 for a 300 watt system is silly. Don't go there. This doesn't even include batteries, and it includes a whole bunch of things you don't need.

First decide how big your battery bank will be, that will determine roughly how much solar you need, which will determine how much of a charge controller you need. Then you just need an inverter and good to go.

What are your expected loads?

How much room do you have for batteries?

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I would instantly abandon your all one Brand idea. That does not work with solar. Most solar panels are all made in china and it does not really matter what panels you get but the charge controller I would stick with morning star, they are my favorite and have a proven track record.

Inverter is kinda of a how much do you want to spend. Magnum inverters are top notch but are very expensive. Ive had my value xantrex for a year or so and it has been good to me.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/ Handy bob is always a good read for anyone getting into solar.

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
I paid 200 dollar for a 240 watt panel, 102 dollar for a ecoworthy mppt controller, i have a 50 dollar 400 watt inverter, I also have a smaller 150 watt pure sine inverter (rarely use it). I also have 12 volt kinetik kh2000 102 ah agm battery. The above system gets me 12 amps in full sunlight. You dont need to spend alot for a decent system.

One major weakness I see is the large inverters, they will need large batteries to run. Alot more power than 320 watts of solar will be able to replace. Also the kit has a pwm controller which is not as efficient as mppt. For 2700 dollars, you should at least get mppt, a good mppt controller like the midnight solar kid are in the 300 dollar range, that would be better fit for 320 watts. In cloudy weather you need every amp your panel will put out, mppt will definitely help in that area. Example on my system with different controllers that i tried on my 240 watt panel
pwm = I get 7 amps max
mppt = I get 12 amps max but have seen it go as high as 14 amps

With solar it doesnt matter if the individual parts are matched from same company. just as long as your charge controller can handle the voltage/amps your solar panel puts out.

Myself I buy the parts as I need them, to begin all you need is
1. a solar panel, get the largest that will fit in your vehicule. L brackets x4 to mount panel to roof. bolts/nuts etc
2. mppt controller , one that will work with the voltage/amp output of your panel
3. battery, at least 100ah, for longlife you dont want to drain your battery below 50 percent (12.1 volt) , so a 100ah battery is actually 50ah usable.
4. you need cables from panel to controller, wires from controller to battery, fuses/circuit breaker on battery.
5. some sort of led volt amp display. 90 volt 30 amp combo meter on ebay cost about 20 dollar. You need to know your battery voltage all the time and how much amp your panels are putting out. LED you can see even in daylight from a distance. the kit only has an LCD display which is useless unless your standing next to the display.

This is what my display looks like, its all the info i need 24/7, i leave it connected at night and gives me the battery voltage so I dont drain it too low.
xt60 connector large a.jpg
I spent less than a 1000 dollar on my system, and it will produce power comparable to the 2700 dollar system which is weakened by the pwm controller.
Some of the items in the kit you might not need, the large inverters might be overkill if you dont have the large batteries to back them up.

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
The issue I see with that "kit" is all the parts are fairly average in their own right.
If we take the "2000W" inverter and do a little research we see its no-load power consumption is ~2.8Amps. If you left the inverter on all the time this is more power than the 320W solar system can generate in a day...
I think you'd be better off defining your needs then choosing the best components across all suppliers for your particular use case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles