Any good deals on fridges?

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Looking to get a fridge again. Requirements are that it has to have two zones (so that one can be used as a freezer), and ideally be around 70qt in size. Prefer well-known, quality brands (ARB, SnoMaster, National Luna, Dometic, etc.). Haven't been fridge shopping in a while and am having a bit of a sticker shock with current advertised prices, at least here in Canada.

Even better would be to have a vertical (RV-style) fridge of similar size, dual doors, etc.

If you see a deal pop-up somewhere, please share!

86scotty

Cynic
I too have moved towards carrying two. If we don't have two chest fridges with us or one RV front-door type and one chest then we usually have a second newish rotomolded cooler for ice and drinks. Really clears out the fridge space.

I don't know that there are any good deals anywhere on the good brands but there are tons of great deals on the un-proven brands, basically by that I mean anything on Amazon that is a name less than a few years old. I recently bought a Domende (rebranded Alpicool) and it has been fantastic for the Jeep, only $289 or something close to that, 54 qt.

Hummelator

Adventurer
I had finally decided to pull the trigger on a dometic fridge and I found Kijiji was a pretty good spot. Ended up getting a brand new (still in plastic) dometic dual zone 75 quart for $300-$400 cheaper than it was being sold for online

dbhost

I got the Alpicool APLT60 60 Liter / 63 quart LG compressor fridge / freezer. I am a single guy and right now using it in fridge only mode. I have no need for deep freezing anything. This is actually TOO MUCH fridge for my needs. Do I regret going this big? Nope. Would I consider switching back to Fridge / Freezer mode? Nope. I can carry extra drinks and keep them cold along with my food and be good for a week straight. By that time I need to stop and get water, fuel, and fresh produce. Or unless taking vacation time, head back into the office. Now honestly, if this thing had been split more like a residential unit, 75% 25% with the greater size being fridge, yeah I would go with freezer and keep a bit of ice cream, but other than that...

The price on the Alpicool jumped quite a bit since I bought mine just a few months ago. But everything has been getting more expensive. When I bought mine they were around $350.00 after coupons etc... Right now looks like after coupons they are going for $399.00

I DO want to grab a small rotomolded cooler for cubed ice for drinks though. I have a large Lifetime cooler that does work well, but is too big for my purpose. I just want to be able to keep a 10lb bag of ice for about 3 days going in / out to get ice for drinks... Not neccessary, but nice.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Two fridges is an interesting idea, but from a quick look around, it seems the cumulative price of both will be around the same price as a single dual-zone, so I'm not sure that's a path that'll have much benefit for us. Will give it some thought, though!

plh

Explorer
I bought a small Alpicool (22l) a few months ago and it works great. It is very quiet compared to the Edgestar.
I also have had an Edgestar FP430 (too big for my Outlander thus the Alpicool purchase) for around 10 years. It also works flawless.

ChasingOurTrunks

Looking to get a fridge again. Requirements are that it has to have two zones (so that one can be used as a freezer), and ideally be around 70qt in size. Prefer well-known, quality brands (ARB, SnoMaster, National Luna, Dometic, etc.). Haven't been fridge shopping in a while and am having a bit of a sticker shock with current advertised prices, at least here in Canada.

Even better would be to have a vertical (RV-style) fridge of similar size, dual doors, etc.

If you see a deal pop-up somewhere, please share!

I’m very happy with my Unique fridge which is exactly as you describe; dual-zone, lots of room, etc. I got mine from Costco.ca (Also Canadian here!) and I think it was about $600. Steal of a deal, but now of course I can’t find them on the website. I think Home Depot also sells Unique stuff and they go on sale there from time to time too. It’s perhaps not the most well-known brand but they use high quality components in terms of compressors and such.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
I’m very happy with my Unique fridge which is exactly as you describe; dual-zone, lots of room, etc. I got mine from Costco.ca (Also Canadian here!) and I think it was about $600. Steal of a deal, but now of course I can’t find them on the website. I think Home Depot also sells Unique stuff and they go on sale there from time to time too. It’s perhaps not the most well-known brand but they use high quality components in terms of compressors and such.

Unique fridges at Costco were actually the first thing I looked for. I briefly owned one a few years back. Costco hasn't had them for a while.

And as it happens I ordered a vertical, dual-door Unique fridge from Home Depot a few days ago, but cancelled the order yesterday when I realized I mis-read the specs. They advertised 19ah draw for 24v, but at 12v that'll be double (if not more in practice), and that's a bit more consumption than I'd like to use in a 24hr period. If the fridge was half its cost, it would be fine as I'd spend the $$ difference on extra batteries, but at its current price level ($1400+ tax = nearly $1600 CAD) that's a bit much.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I got a real deal on an arb zero 47 qt for $800. I believe it was mispriced at the time but I kept an eye out and when I seen it I jumped on it immediately. I looked at the cheaper brand fridges and they’re tempting due to the low price point but I just don’t trust them for the long haul. Buy once cry once is my motto and it’s always worked out for me, especially if you plan to keep something long term. There’s a lot of sticker shock though, that’s for sure….

emulous74

Right now, stores like REI, Moosejaw, etc. are offering 20% coupons on Full Price items. Through 11/21, REI is also offering a $100 gift card (must use it from 12/2 through 12/12) for Dometic CFX fridges. You could use the gift card towards a protective cover for it. That's the best deal I've seen so far this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior