Any interest in professional photography services to document your trip?

vision-quest

Observer
Hey guys,

I wasn't quite sure where exactly on this forum to post this.. so I'm giving my favorite expedition company forum first look.

So, a little about me to preface the point of this thread. I'm a semi-pro photographer and I'm big into anything outdoors/adventure. I was born in Australia, but now live in Boulder, Colorado. I have traveled extensively around the world to places like Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Canada, Alaska, much of the Western USA, Bolivia, Chile, Peru, Brazil, Argentina etc etc. I'm relatively new to the 4x4 world, having caught the bug while on a trip to Hawaii and renting a 4x4 Nissan XTerra (TRAITOR!), but I will be purchasing a 4Runner later on this year and starting to modify her up.

I'm thinking of possibly starting up an overland/4x4 photography service. Basically I would tag along on your journey (for a fee of course) and document the whole journey. You would get photos of you guys (and girls) off-roading with magnificent scenery behind, capturing your obstacle attempts (at the right angles to actually make them look impressive), your camp sites, night photography with your camp sites and the stars/milky way, meals, creek crossings, group shots of the cars and people involved, creek crossings etc etc. Basically you would get back a story of your adventure that captures all of what occurred and makes your rigs look ************, while showing the true beauty of your natural surroundings and human interaction as well.

Now I know every guys and his dog has a DSLR these days.. but you would be paying for my expertise when it comes to composition and getting the best angles to really capture those tough obstacles, while also capturing the scenery surrounding you. You would be paying to get the highest quality, sharp images that not only look good small and on a screen, but large and in a book of the trip or framed large on your living room wall. You would be paying for my knowledge of the light and how it will make the images look as good as possible.

As part of the package, you would get back many high quality photos that you could use for the web or hang on the wall at large sizes to look at for years. You would have free reign to do what you want with them. I am also toying with the idea of making a video to go accompany the photos. Like a mini-movie of the trip.

I know it wouldn't be for everyone, but I'm just getting a feel for if this is a worthy business venture. If you guys would actually appreciate and pay for a service like this. I know a lot of people spend a lot of money doing up their trucks and taking these trips, so I'm guessing there's people who would love to have some really awesome images that capture the hard work and effort put into this hobby.

Alternatively I was thinking of pairing with a 4x4 guide and running 4x4 tours that included incredible photography as part of the package.

What do you guys think. Good idea? Or should I be publicly disgraced and shamed for even bringing it up?

Cheers guys!

Importantly of course, a link to my website will be below to give everyone an idea of my photography skills. I will be looking to join a fellow CO member on a trip soon to capture some killer images so everyone would see exactly the quality of work they would receive. Just waiting on that snow to melt. It's currently halting my hiking, fishing and wheeling plans! :squint:

www.matthewhahnel.com

PS: Any Colorado members interested having me along for a trip (for free) so I get some initial 4x4 images up while getting some killer images for yourself?

Last edited:

vision-quest

Observer
for sure a very cool idea! Photo's are awesome! I wish I had the rig, time, and money! good luck with the venture!

Thank you Sean. All in due time :)

The photos on your website are outstanding! I can't wait to see some Off-Road pictures! Amazing job!

Thanks a lot! I really look forward to getting out there and getting my feet wet in a different area on photography. I think there's a lot of potential for some incredible images.

haven

Expedition Leader
"should I be publicly disgraced and shamed for even bringing it up?"

ExPo has rules about businesses that want to advertise their services here

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...e-Expedition-Portal-Forum-Rules-etiquette-etc

"Many members of this forum are also owners of commercial companies, many of which cater to outdoor and expedition clients.

If you are not a sponsoring vendor, then solicitation of members via PM or in threads is not appropriate. (You broke this rule)

It is not appropriate for vendor members to post retail items for sale in the equipment section.

Basically, if it reads like you are trying to sell your product in a thread, then you are.

It is acceptable to not be a sponsor, and have a link to your company in your signature line.
However, non-sponsors can only have the company name with the link embedded.
No multi-line signatures with BUY NOW!"

Send me PM to learn about becoming an ExPo sponsor so you can solicit business from ExPo members.

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
Since the original post is like a press release, I moved the thread to the Expedition News section. vision-quest, please follow the rules.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Ben Edmondson used to do a number of adventure gigs as the designated photographer. He is currently suffering from a mobility effecting disease, but I think his work really sets the standard as to how to make this kind of business work. He's on Facebook quite a lot and is an exceptionally generous guy. You should look him up and touch base with him. Many of the photos in the Sojournal periodical from Equipt1 are by Ben: http://www.equipt1.com/press

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Would you be willing to raft and do some canyoneering? Some action shots hanging 200 feet down a canyon would be sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste