Any of you running 235/85/16 tires?

deadbeat son

Explorer
^

Keeping the same wheel and changing from a 245 to a 235 should lose you < 1/2" of track width (5mm per side). That doesn't seem like much to me, but I could be wrong. It seems like you could possibly add a 5mm spacer to each wheel without issue to gain it back.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I know for sure my current set up is narrower than the previous one with 265/70/16 and Konig Countersteers. These tires are great. I just got back from a week and a half of harsh wheeling. One week was in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado and it was intense to say the least.

zolo

Explorer
My point was changing to skinny tires may narrow the outside to outside width from tire to tire.
But to make a truck have a "narrower" track can only be achieved by changing the offset of the wheel.

No matter how wide or skinny a tire is, the center of the tire will always be the same based on the wheel.
So the track width of the truck is the same with a bigger tire footprint.

I suppose it can be debated, but narrow tires IMO have always helped the ride quality and not made it unstable and scary.

Its all good, I could be crazy with my thinking but it makes sense to me.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Trip report or it didn't happen :elkgrin:
This trip was very long and at a fast pace. I was with a group of 12 vehicles and many more people. I may post edited photos but an indepth trip report most likely won't happen. The days were very long to say the least.

mountain

just mounted 235/85/16 cooper stmaxx on 16 hole steelies I had painted an industrial gray color. Will get pics soon, I think it looks great on my white double cab 2004 tacoma. I'm watching MPG's and ride quality and will report as soon as I get a few days on them.

07longbed

just mounted 235/85/16 cooper stmaxx on 16 hole steelies I had painted an industrial gray color. Will get pics soon, I think it looks great on my white double cab 2004 tacoma. I'm watching MPG's and ride quality and will report as soon as I get a few days on them.

Sounds awesome! This is exactly what I've been wanting to do! I'm excited to see the result

deadbeat son

Explorer

Awesome, how about a photo? These tires have made my short list.

suntinez

Explorer
This trip was very long and at a fast pace. I was with a group of 12 vehicles and many more people. I may post edited photos but an indepth trip report most likely won't happen. The days were very long to say the least.

Doug's trip report is here.

It happened :D

DSC_0712.jpg

DSC_0720.jpg

[/hijack]

on track - I just put tires in this size on my 2001 Tiger, Ford F250 based. I went with the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Pros.

So far I like them a lot, quieter than the previous and excellent traction on wet roads. Hoping for good snow performance, will find out in a few months I guess.

tires.jpg

Last edited:

deadbeat son

Explorer
I'm having a set mounted on my '09 Tacoma as we speak. I decided to go with my old standbys, BFG AT-KO. I'm looking forward to seeing how these work for me this winter!

m3bassman

Observer
Mine have served me well like many other have praised. Great on road manners and not too loud. dig good off the pavement.
IMG_3318-.jpg

IMG_3753.png

IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_7309-1.jpg

As for the sidewall stiffness, with use they soften up really well. Ive got 15,000 miles miles on mine, about 300-400 of which aired down. Here is a shot from our last run in the bitterroots. had 25psi in them
IMG_4873-.jpg

rusty904

I'm looking to switch to the 235 85 16 size from 265 75 16 BFG AT KO's on my 88 4runner. I'm hoping the truck will be able to spin a narrower tire a little easier and plus I just like the look. Anyone have a good alternative to the BFG's to look at? The truck will be used predominantly on rutted out forest roads in the mountains but there will be some highway trips to get to said roads. I will also do a little light wheeling on Uwharrie ORV trails.

I'd like to go as aggressive if not a little more aggressive than the KO's. I can deal with a little more noise as the truck is noisy to begin with, longevity is not as much of an issue as this truck only sees about 5k miles per year.

Suggestions?

Wasatch

Observer
Had 235/85/16 BFG AT's on my (now sold) RC 07 Tacoma. They were honestly the BEST tire size for that truck. Drove well in all conditions, totally acceptable off-road, and got factory gas mileage (with an OME lift).

full

I now have since upgrade to a V6 AC, but am seriously considering going back to my 235 roots as the 285/75/16's I am currently running are killing my gas mileage with stock gearing.. My next tire will most likely be the 255 kO2, or ST MAXX. But that will be after a re-gear.

Taco04

Toyota Junkie!
I run 235/85/16's Hankook Dynapro MT's on my 1st gen taco and love them. Another good choice would be the Cooper ST/MAXX in that size, less road noise than the Hankook's and still more aggressive than the KO's.

justrom

Adventurer
235/85/R16 Goodyear Duratracs on my '13 DCLB V6. They've served me well for several desert trips including Death Valley and part of the Mojave Road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles