Any tips on driving a 2wd van?

Sleam

Explorer
Thanks, i have a kit of odds and ends like that, but for jb weld. I checked out the maxtrax here at Expo and mught get some, for now I have carpet to toss under the wheels as needed. I did get BFG KO2 tires and they're great!
I'll post photos when i work out how.
S

A winch and a selectable rear locker or limited slip, plus some portable traction aides (Portable roads, tire chains, ect) will get you almost anywhere you'd want to take a full-size van anyways. A small lift for a bit more ground clearance never hurt either.

Although I've taken bone-stock Ford E-250s and Chevy Express 2500s into some pretty hairy spots for work, and I've never gotten a van STUCK stuck-the only time where I had to do anything but just keep on the throttle and keep momentum up was when I had to go service a phone tower in Northern BC in the middle of winter after a blizzard, and that just took snow chains and studded tires.

But if you ARE going to take a 2WD van off-road, I personally wouldn't want to take a full-length van, especially not a Ford with that massive rear overhang, I'd be too paranoid about high-centering it.

Sleam

Explorer
Thanks, luckily it is only 15 ft long and yes, I got some traction aids too. A come-along is in my budget so that is next. You mentioned a lift, would that change steering or anything else? Someone suggested getting suspension rated for a 3/4 or 1 ton as this is the smaller 1/2 ton...and that would give some lift. What do you think?
S

BSK

I have a Dodge van but in the extended length, that has been my biggest worry. All my other vehicles have always been 4x4 so I am in a similar place as you learning to drive this thing off-road. It is a 3500 and has pretty good clearance, it has been great so far for what I bought it for. Mainly I just want it to get me to campsites. I am thinking about putting an eaton tru trac lsd in and have been wondering if it's worth the money? Also adding some traction aids, recommendations? It is a little tough finding stuff to fit the dodge Ramvans and have had to build most things myself, such as a front hitch receiver for carrying bikes. The ability to just climb in the back and sleep has been totally worth the change for me, I have a family and we would not be exploring as much in our Subaru or 4x4 F250. With the dogs and like you said the rainy days you will love a van. One more quick question. Anyone have a traction aid that has worked well for leveling the van when parked? That would justify the cost for me as I seem to do this on every trip. Usually just use 2x4's I bring for fire wood.

Obviously 4x4 is much better but I have gotten every other vehicle I've owned stuck at some point in Baja other than an extended Ford van that I drove in to Cabo and back. The main drawback was not getting into a couple ideal spots to camp but then we were in a van so we slept where we parked. One thing I'm adding that makes me feel a little safer is a mountain bike. That way I can still go find someone quicker than on foot if I really am in a bind.

Last edited:

Sleam

Explorer
Hi BSK,
Thanks for letting me know I"m not the only one! I did love the van at Expo as it was so stupidly windy and we stayed cosy inside each night. Mostly for me too it's getting to campsites, having an enclosed space for when we're in bear country, and comfort, much better than the 4Runner for sure.
I just bought two "Go-treads", they're articulated traction mats, and lightweight, fold up into a small space and i like them because you can also use them to level the van. Tell Aaron I sent you to his website, nice family. www.gotreads.com

13247690_10207775448597322_3554138234765326551_o.jpg

Navi

Adventurer
I'll get out and walk it first if I'm worried about it. Avoid the obvious bad spots. Learn when to use speed and momentum.

Sleam

Explorer
Well, I'm back after months on the road, getting ready to head to Marfa Texas for a looksie at Big Bend too. I'd still like to get a small lift somehow with either better suspension rated for a one ton or a 2" lift kit. I've not found anyone local to do that for me. I did pretty good, no getting stuck. Close mind. In Atlantic City WY we hit some muddy tracks and with slow steady driving got out of the valley. Sweaty palms after that for a while but a beer helped. Thanks for all the ideas, my friends.
You can find the book of the travels on Amazon if you'd like to see where we ended up and how we got there!
Take care, S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior