Any XJ X-perts? Cherokee won't start

AFSOC

Explorer
Yesterday my 1999 would not start when I tried to drive back from lunch. It acted like a dead battery. The Solenoid just click, click, click, clicked. The volt indication on my Scangage said 9.6V.

I got a jump start and still click, click, click. I goofed with the two batteries' connections but didn't seem like it was getting a boost until all of a sudden it cranked over and started.

Once running the volts as indicated on the Scangage rapidly fluxuated between 11.8 and 14.1 volts. I drove it home and shut it off. After work I took a battery reading, 12.75 volts. Turned the key and the buzzer was very weak and only solenoid clicks. I tried jumpstarting it and couldn't get any crank, only clicks.

I pulled off the battery cables and wire brushed the rings all good. (1/0 gauge cables on battery, winch and starter). I pulled every relay and fuse in the Power Distribution Center looking for a shorted circuit, I found nothing.

I am at my witts end. Does anyone know where I should look? I am completly out of ideas. Help!!

RangeBrover

Explorer
My buddy had the same problem a few weeks ago. Originally thought it was the alternator but it ended up being a distributor cap and rotor. We replaced them and it was good to go.

RangeBrover

Explorer
Okay so I called my buddy and asked him for his thoughts. When his Jeep wouldn't start they deduced that it was most likely the ignition coil. In the process they checked the distributor cap and the rotor, and it was all corroded to hell. So he replaced the ignition coil, and then we did the cap and rotor while we were there because it's a 5-10 minute job max. The ignition coil was a little bit of a pain but nothing that you can't do on your own. It helps to have someone with small hands. Sorry if I can't give you a better explanation, I'm not a electrician.

Last edited:

AFSOC

Explorer
Hmm 99 you say? No distrubtor! 97 was the last year for that!

1999s are the last year with distributors. The 2000 and 2001s were coils. None the less, I think we're barking up the wrong tree, the ignition system is not really causing my engine not to crank over.

draganof

Observer
Sounds like the Neutral Safety Switch needs cleaning. This is a common problem I have experienced on all 3 of my XJ's.

This might help if you need to bypass it for a quick fix.

]http://webpages.charter.net/laurajeff44/NSS/nss.htm[/URL]

AFSOC

Explorer
Sounds like the Neutral Safety Switch needs cleaning. This is a common problem I have experienced on all 3 of my XJ's.

Thanks I'll give it a look tomorrow.

88Xj

Banned
1999s are the last year with distributors. The 2000 and 2001s were coils. None the less, I think we're barking up the wrong tree, the ignition system is not really causing my engine not to crank over.

Aww correct! I had it mixed up! I would check your grounds. Clean with a wire brush..but I don't think this is your issue! When I left one of my grounds loose, the one off the head to the firewall. And my jeep would still start & run fine, but would shut off randomly, probably because the ground broke connection! Once I tightened it, all was better!
NSS could be an issue..

The motors turning over for sure? I was going to say possible starter failure?

AFSOC

Explorer
Clean with a wire brush..but I don't think this is your issue!
NSS could be an issue..

The motors turning over for sure? I was going to say possible starter failure?

Grounds are good.

No it isn't turning over, the solenoid is just clicking.

I am concerned about the voltage fluxuating so much once it actually did start. I am (sorta) convinced the two issues are related.

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Ok here's what I think, I have had that exact problem on my MJ. The posts on my yellow-top went bad on the inside. Same diagnosis as yours. If I pushed down on the battery post(forget which one) the headlights would get brighter. The bad battery post did not allow enough amperage through even though the battery itself was still good. Try another battery, It should at least eliminate that possibility.

bobDog

Expedition Leader

I have had a neutral switch stop me before but it was ' key dead ' no click click.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

88Xj

Banned
Grounds are good.

No it isn't turning over, the solenoid is just clicking.

I am concerned about the voltage fluxuating so much once it actually did start. I am (sorta) convinced the two issues are related.

Battery or starter is my conclustion..idk if battery has been suggested but I had a optima take a **** on me and I would get the flucuation voltage. The starter however may be done to since its not turning over. They are around 90 bucks at autozone..can also have them check your battery!

88Xj

Banned
Ok here's what I think, I have had that exact problem on my MJ. The posts on my yellow-top went bad on the inside. Same diagnosis as yours. If I pushed down on the battery post(forget which one) the headlights would get brighter. The bad battery post did not allow enough amperage through even though the battery itself was still good. Try another battery, It should at least eliminate that possibility.

Ya see..optima:( Their quailty when down hill so fast when they started being produced in mexico! I now only run the Sears platinum with their amazing 10 year warranty! Their batterys are pretty damn nice & I believe it was posted they are made by odyssey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz