Anybody else want a small USEABLE 4X4?

buellconvert

I am loving my 2016 single cab shortbed Silverado, with rubber floor, hand crack windows and a true floor shift transfer case with 4hi and 4lo...it's got right about 300 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque plus it's still safe with all the airbags and all. It's just me and my old lady so we don't want or need a crew cab and that really shortens the truck and makes it much easier to get into tighter areas and trails. It's a proven power train and still about as simple as you can get while still being safe and modern at the same time. It's everything I want and need!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Doodles

Great topic OP but you can't go back in time.
We just don't need a 2 door, stick shifted, hand crank window liftin' mini trucks these days, period!

Oh, I could support my bold assertion by mentioning the fact that the U.S. outsourced almost all of its manufacturing jobs that used mini 'parts runner' trucks to countries that didn't have a middle class (they do now thanks to our little miscalculation) or the fact that the U.S. has become almost entirely a service industry economy where the only real cargo being transported is a mop and the the minimum wage workers commuting to the few remaining jobs that have not yet been replaced by a Roomba (YangGang2020) but that would only rub salt into our national disgrace and humiliate the leaders that profited from that economic demise.

So, I suggest you look to the future and embrace Gordon Murry's OX.
The OX is a flat pack, do it yourself, back to basics little 4x4 truck.
The OX has all the refinements of an empty metal box without all the unnecessary fluff of 'safety and comfort' you get in most newer vehicles.
The price is right too because many of the parts are made in countries where pollution controls or child labor laws don't exist so they are a great value and the assembly labor is supplied entirely by you.
The Top Gear crew built one in less than 2 days.
If you do look into this truck, opt for the air cooled Deutz diesel. I used a 5 cylinder air cooled Deutz from an old bread truck in my 1971 Jeepster and it had more power than the 350 Buick or the 455 Olds it replaced.

Did I forget anything?
Lets see, sarcasm, disgruntled-ness, wasting 4 minutes of my time, check, check, check, warning about the zombie apocalypse?
Beware the ZA.

OK done.

Last edited:

shade

So, the only downside vs factory Nav could be that it uses data from your mobile plan, correct? (I am referring to any vehicle that uses android auto / apple carplay.)
Possibly, but only if you're actually using data, and if the data used amounts to much.

One of my main complaints with in-dash OEM navigation units is that they're frozen in time. Unless you're willing to pay for map updates, you're stuck with whatever was loaded when the car was new, but maybe some OEMs are doing better on that front now.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Possibly, but only if you're actually using data, and if the data used amounts to much.

One of my main complaints with in-dash OEM navigation units is that they're frozen in time. Unless you're willing to pay for map updates, you're stuck with whatever was loaded when the car was new, but maybe some OEMs are doing better on that front now.

I don't know about other in-dash units but the one on my new F-150 has instructions on how to upgrade. Basically you have it near a WiFi source and then there's a sequence you go through to update it - kind of like updating your phone software. It is supposed to update all the computer stuff as well as the Nav.

Having said that I find the in-dash nav less intuitive than the old Garmin unit I used in the Suburban. Then again, I've used that old Garmin since 2011 and gotten used to all its features - it's probably more the case that I just need to play with the one on the F-150 to figure out how to do what I need to do.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I don't know about other in-dash units but the one on my new F-150 has instructions on how to upgrade. Basically you have it near a WiFi source and then there's a sequence you go through to update it - kind of like updating your phone software. It is supposed to update all the computer stuff as well as the Nav.

Having said that I find the in-dash nav less intuitive than the old Garmin unit I used in the Suburban. Then again, I've used that old Garmin since 2011 and gotten used to all its features - it's probably more the case that I just need to play with the one on the F-150 to figure out how to do what I need to do.
Oh really? So what computer stuff does it update?

shade

Our new Honda allows for updates over wifi, but I don't know exactly what is updated. It relies solely on a phone for navigation; there isn't a built-in option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke