Anybody else want a small USEABLE 4X4?

6gun

With the recent Wrangler-killer thread about GMC's no-go SUV and the thread about the new Dakota I'm back thinking what I have been thinking for a LONG time. Who else besides me wants a true small truck (not mid-size) that is built well. My dream would be something along the lines of 4cyl(+ for TD option), 5or6spd manual available, vinyl seats and rubber floors, manual windows would be fine with me, Hi-Lo transfer case. utilizing common diffs for easy tailoring of gears/lockers would be awesome! To really top it off give us a steering box(not rack and pinion) and reasonably strong drive line. Basically I'm asking for a 80's-90's truck to still be available with more modern engine controls and efficiency .

XJLI

Adventurer
Here you go

2000000001.jpg

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
If you’re interested in getting more info on the Mahindra, above, you can go to the separate thread here on the Portal about these little Mahindra Roxors

Last edited:

UHAULER

Explorer
That Roxor "jeep" is not a truck nor street legal.
I don't think what you want is coming back anytime soon. What I have noticed is there is more talk about leather heated and cooled seats, fancy plastic dash layout and the biggest, ugliest grille than there is talk about wheel bearing size, axle strength, ball joint size, etc.

85_Ranger4x4

Not a truck as in a pickup truck but I aspire to build a first gen Explorer.

2" bodylift, 4" suspension lift, 35's with a GM 4.8/5.3. Stuff for the D35 and 8.8 axles grow on trees as does everything for a GM powertrain. Vehicle carcass is cheap, durable, easy to work on and comfortable to live with plus it has room for the family.

6gun

Here you go

Make it street legal and stay near the current price point I'll put a deposit down today.

I prefer vehicles that aren't well built, lol

Maybe fix up an old Toyota with a 22R?

Probably gonna do that but with a 2nd-3rd gen Ranger. Only problem is you still have 20-30yo stuff to deal with. Plastic bits being brittle etc....

Not a truck as in a pickup truck but I aspire to build a first gen Explorer.

2" bodylift, 4" suspension lift, 35's with a GM 4.8/5.3. Stuff for the D35 and 8.8 axles grow on trees as does everything for a GM powertrain. Vehicle carcass is cheap, durable, easy to work on and comfortable to live with plus it has room for the family.

I love your Ranger and have read every post, here and TRS on it but putting a gm motor in one of God's chosen vehicles is just wrong!!!! For the love of all Things Ford please reconsider! :LOL:

roving1

Yes. But nothing is stopping me lol. By the way I am trying to get the newly installed suspension to settle to its static height and figure out if I want to keep the extra leaf I have. There is at least 1000lbs in the bed of this thing now and it still drives and brakes great. No speed demon obviously but I feel like if you put that much in the back of a modern 1/2 ton you would be lucky to drive over a speed bump lol.

IMG_20190918_183357.jpg
IMG_20190918_103441.jpg

85_Ranger4x4

I love your Ranger and have read every post, here and TRS on it but putting a gm motor in one of God's chosen vehicles is just wrong!!!! For the love of all Things Ford please reconsider! :LOL:

It burns me too don’t get me wrong.

I would love a coyote or even a 4.6/5.4 but if it don’t fit it don’t fit... I like steering and heater/a-c.

A modern V6 out of a base ‘150 would take a lot of work as it isn’t a common swap... and it’s still gonna sound like a V6. Being dohc they are not really tiny either.

Which leaves the ol pushrod 5.0... newest one is 16 years old, most are well north of 200k and old SUVs generally don’t get the best care. For something to load the family in and take off for Colorado etc I would want to go thru the engine and trans, more work and more $$ for a 200hp V8. I live a long ways from anywhere for off-roading. I have done the swap, it isn’t bad... just bang per buck I dunno for something like this.

Or something else late model that fits nice that isn’t the size of a WWII tank engine if ya know what I mean.

The whole thing is just a dream right now, maybe by the time I get around to it ford will scale the new 7.3 down to a 5.0...

shade

Current safety and CAFE regulations have killed the whole idea of what you describe, not to mention the market doesn't want fewer features, it wants more.

Yep. OP's best bet is to figure out what fits the bill from the Before Times, and spend some time searching for an unmolested one in the Southwest. Those vehicles are becoming rare, but with the exception of a modern engine, they're still out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles