Anybody else want a small USEABLE 4X4?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Most on the road look like this:
I do like the look of the appearance package grille better:
2018-Ford-F-150-front-view-05.jpg

Yes, I like that grill better too. I just don;t care for the stripes and wheels that come with the package.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Honest question, what do folks think counts as a "small" 4x4? In my book small means under 3,800lb with wheelbase to match.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Yeah, I can confidently say I would have zero interest in such a vehicle. And I'm guessing 99% of the car-buying public would agree with me. ;)

With regard to the "buy an old vehicle and fix it up", it reminds me of a few years back when the wife and I were looking to upgrade to a bigger camper. We sure like the looks of the old classic "canned ham" trailers.

But I've owned old vehicles before. With an old vehicle you are pretty much always either fixing something that is broken or waiting for the next thing to break.

I said to her: Do you want to spend our weekends camping, or do we want to spend our weekends fixing stuff? Because if we get a "project" camper, we are going to spend a lot of time fixing things.

I'll say the same thing about "old, simple" vehicles today that I did yesterday about convertibles: They are usually "beloved" the most by people who don't have to live with them on a daily basis.

The rose-colored glasses of nostalgia often obscure what a PITA these old vehicles were.

D

Deleted member 9101

'150 grille isn't really that big, it just looks stupid because it looks like it has a giant harmonica in the center of it.

Hahahahahahaha...I am going to think of that every time I see an 18+ F150.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
BTW I question the title of this thread. How are modern vehicles not "usable 4x4s?" Go to any Colorado 4wd trail on a Summer weekend and it's as crowded as grand central station!

Rubicons and 4runners and Tacomas as far as the eye can see, with a sprinkling of full-sized domestic trucks on top of that.

So many that it is literally creating traffic jams in the high country.

If modern vehicles aren't "usable 4x4's" then someone needs to tell the Colorado 4wd trails because they sure as hell are seeing more "use" than they ever have in the past.

6gun

BTW I question the title of this thread. How are modern vehicles not "usable 4x4s?" Go to any Colorado 4wd trail on a Summer weekend and it's as crowded as grand central station!

Rubicons and 4runners and Tacomas as far as the eye can see, with a sprinkling of full-sized domestic trucks on top of that.

So many that it is literally creating traffic jams in the high country.

If modern vehicles aren't "usable 4x4's" then someone needs to tell the Colorado 4wd trails because they sure as hell are seeing more "use" than they ever have in the past.

Modern 4X4s are VERY usable, not very small. For sake of argument, name one single SMALL 4X4 on the market in the US that comes close to meeting what I asked about. Wrangler is the closest thing and the new ones(whatever they call themselves these days are freaking huge compared to an 80's Toyota, Ranger or S10) . I guess I should have specified, I'm wanting a pickup type more than anything but most others picked up what I was meaning. Everything on the "small" truck market now is bloated and overpriced.

85_Ranger4x4

The rose-colored glasses of nostalgia often obscure what a PITA these old vehicles were.

I have had mine 19 years. There is nothing I would trade it for.

.Not really rocket science. I upgraded the rear axle, replace the seals, oil and brakes before install. Same goes for the front plus u-joints, ball joints and wheel bearings (the real kind you can pack) Same for the t-case. Rebuilt the trans in my basement over a winter. I have had a great time designing and building my own truck. I have done everything myself but the alignment and the exhaust. And then after I drive it across four states to go offroading there is a ton of cookie cutter jeeps... and me.

Yes, I like that grill better too. I just don;t care for the stripes and wheels that come with the package.

FX4 doesn't get the extra decals.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
FX4 doesn't get the extra decals.
Or that grille either. FX4 is just springs, skid plates and the decal. At least I'm pretty sure that's what my FX4 package consists of. Not quite the same as the '09-'14 trucks where it was it's own trim level.

Oh.... And hill descent control. Which is actually pretty neat!

I tried it out for the first time in my truck this summer.

timemachine

The only thing I don't understand about buying a Roxor is it's not as good an older Jeep CJ an for $15,000 you could easily do a full re-build for that money and it is completely road legal. I personally have a 1985 CJ-7 that I bought and did some work on that I have a lot less than the cost of a Roxor. I am currently thinking about taking an old jeep rolling chassis and putting a 4-cylinder ford eco-boost in it.

D

Deleted member 9101

If you order the truck, you can have the stripes omitted... If not, they are reeeeally easy to peel off.

I love that grill on the 18+ STX/Sport trucks.

The wheels are easy to sell on Craigslist. I sold my STX wheels for the same price that a buddy sold me his Sport rims when he went aftermarket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles