Anybody know about the Chevy G30?

Rune

Hey all,

Well I feel like I've been talked out of the Astro AWD as a platform for my camper van build, by Astro owners mostly, so that's not a good sign for the platform.

I've been searching around for another option and have started flirting heavily with a '85 Chevy G30 4x4 I met on Craigslist.

Before this I knew next to nothing about old Chevy vans. I feel like I know a little now but still need to know a lot more.

Anyone out there own one or have experience?

What are they like to drive? Is the power steering strong? Or is it an effort?

What's reliable? What's week?

What's the aftermarket like? Are parts available and are they likely to remain available in the future?

Any insight appreciated.

Mahalo

rex_1_mn

Observer
I can’t say anything about the 85 4x4 but I have a 90 g20 conversion van with 200k on the clock. TBI 350 in it. I can’t kill it. Have a true trac in the back and I am pretty hard on it because it’s worth nothing. It’s been a good rig. Even has 3 catch covers in the floor and serves as an ice fishing house at times

Jo_Duval

Observer
growing up we had a 1991 G30 passenger van. and I wish I could have put my hands on it to save it. LOVED that van!

jkam

nomadic man
I had an 86 G30 with a Pathfinder 4x4 kit.
It was a decent rig, no real issues other than the condition I got it in.
The nice thing about that vintage of van is they made a bunch of them and didn't
have too many changes along the way. That made it easier for me to correct some the things on mine.
Here is a link to the write up I did when fixing mine up.
Sold it so I could get the RV I have now.
http://www.nomadicman.com/kvan.html

Len.Barron

Observer
Probably the most important thing to know about this vintage of gm van is that they are a uni-body design rather than the later models that are body on frame...that may or may not be important to you.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Just remember that the 1st-3rd generation GM "G" vans of which the 1985 GM van you referenced in your original post were all Uni-body construction and NOT Body On Frame like a Ford van.

Good or Bad for your use?

You decide!

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I bought my 1976 GMC van in 1976 and drove it for 32+ years. Essentially the same van as what you are looking at. Extremely dependable, easy to work on. Not sure why the question about power steering...mine steered easily and never a problem with it. It's a GM - parts available everywhere and cheap. Don't worry about the unibody construction part - unless you are planning to do some rock crawling with it, I don't think you'll have a problem.
Terravan at Stewart Creekr Sep 1977.jpg

rex_1_mn

Observer
Agreed. My 1990 unibody has been tough as nails. All 4 tires off the ground more than once. It gets used hard as a hunting truck. The older it gets the harder I run it. Rusty parts are starting to fall off but it still takes me to work everyday.

Rune

Shipping from mainland was just going to be too much PITA unfortunately. Found a '96 E350 Quigley on Kauai, looks like maybe the van for me. Not quite as sexy, but love the one you can have I guess. Going to fly over and check it out tomorrow.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94