Anyone done Gen 2.5 rear wheel bearings?

I've been noticing a 'womp, womp' groaning that seems to be coming from right rear. Its particularly easy to hear in the parking garage at work, frequency (number, not pitch) increases as speed increases. I put some 16" OEM Mitsu Sport wheels and 265/75R16 Coopers on recently but I believe it started prior to. I'm thinking wheel bearing? I'll jack up the rear and feel it out in the next day or so. I do have the factory service manual and did a search for some input on doing the rears but haven't found much... Anyone been there, done that?

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
220k and never done em. Haven’t done my fronts though either. Interesting topic, I hope people chime in. I think rears last longer since they aren’t subjected to the same forces as turning wheels are.

Loganshero

On my gen 2 I had to pull rear axle in order to change broken wheel studs because the abs ring was in the way. I took axle to machine shop and he pulled it apart and changed 2 bearings and all wheel studs. Would of been impossible to do in my garage. He told me it was like taking apart a Chinese vcr. I imagine it's same or real similar on gen 2.5

Just perfect. As I was poking around last night I realized the shop that put on my new wheels and tires stripped out a lug stud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Um, yeah, the axle has to come apart for either lug replacement or bearing replacement. I've never had to do it, but everyone else's experience I've read about makes it sound really bad. Loganshero's experience is probably the best way to do it - pressing the parts is no easy task.

John B.

RyanY

Adventurer
I know that the Gen2 rear axles have to have the bearing retainer cut off and the bearing pressed off, I'm fairly certain the Gen 2.5 axles are the same. I seem to remember that the ABS tone ring was redesigned at some point so the wheel studs were able to be replaced without having to disassemble the axle shaft. IIRC the FSM has the full procedure for bearing replacement - you'll likely need to order a new bearing retainer along with the bearing.

Thanks guys. I called C&A in Van Nuys, a reputable Mitsu guru from what other posts have mentioned. Spoke to the owner who says he can’t recall ever doing rear wheel bearings on a Montero. Ever. He mentioned customers that have had upwards of 500k miles and pull boats without ever needing rear bearings. Said he wouldn’t be comfortable doing them due to inexperience.. Do I let the tire shop that broke the wheel stud get into the axle? Almost guarantee they haven’t done them on a gen 2.5 but they are happy to fix the stud which was solid of them. No questions asked. The manager did say he knew the axle would have to come apart for the stud so there is some familiarity with this type of rear end. A shout out to Stokes Tire in Santa Monica. Always terrific to work with, great guys. I swapped the rear tires, left to right , still the womp, womp at low speeds. Even changed my diff fluid which was only two years old and it looked brand new. 85w90 I believe and for limited slip which I know we don’t have but I don’t think it’ll hurt. It’s all they had in the recommended weight. Some fine shavings on the drain bolt magnet but nothing worrisome me thinks. Not sure what else it could be. I’d like to diagnose it myself (with your feedback) so that I may learn. Tires are brand new Coopers 265/75R16 on OEM Mitsu Sport rims from a pick-your-part yard, OME heavy duty springs and Monomax shocks, all done by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was able to get the new wheel stud in easily so Mitsu may have done a bit of a redesign by '98. I still haven't been able to sort out the rubbing/groaning that seems to kick in around 15mph. I had it up on stands, had it at two different shops, up in the air, running, not running... One guy said wheel bearings, another said diff, another thought brakes. Its hard to recreate in the air when not under load. Yeah, I know this post is basically asking, "hey guys, help me diagnose a noise without hearing the noise or seeing the truck" but perhaps someone else has had something similar that they sorted out... Shots in the dark can land on occasion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior