anyone else have problems with axle swaps?

gen 2 r.h. axle onto gen one inner axle.
bolts misaligned by roughly2mm.
common problem?
i just have not heard about?

my solution is to remove inner axle and rotate outer axle cup and bore new holes.

is there a better solution?

ive had actually quite a few little issues like this on the swap ive tried to document them best possible.
the alignment yet to come. due to the ignoramuses at les schwab im not sure we will get to where we want to be on alignment either.

plh

Explorer
assume you mean the front. Yes there are a couple different styles. If you have an automatic that you are starting from, the bolt pattern is smaller than the Gen 2. If you have a V6 manual it should be the same. Better solution is to use the correct matching parts. I assume that the jack shaft in your Gen 1 axle is the smaller pattern, solution might be to source a larger bolt pattern jack shaft from an AWD Montero Sport 3.5l (without CAD).

thank you for this!
clarification
the rig and differential are gen 1. (with the intent to load the gen 2 differential also, but changed plans mid job due to irritability of mechanic. thus no need to consider axles untill i ran into this problem).
donor: 94 sr auto 3.5. but diff is still on shop floor till we get a block off plate made.

larger bolt pattern sport it is then. as the manual v6 is a little hard to come by.
for now ...its wallered, but just slightly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles