Anyone have an XVenture by Schutt Ind ?

TwinStick

Explorer
Looking for some feedback from anyone who owns one. Thanks in advance.

I know they are expensive but i really like the fact that they have elec brakes & you can get them with a 4200 lb load rating. I know the mil surplus are much cheaper but are 24v & have surge brakes. My fab skills are very basic. No welder.

My tow vehicle is a 2008 QCab Dodge Power Wagon w/G-56.

Last edited:

RagnarD

Adventurer
With that tow rig, I would opt for the mil 1101/1102 versions and pay a fab shop to make the rack. The 12v swap is super easy. Bulbs and plug is all, you can use existing wiring on trailer.

Phoenix

Adventurer
Agree with Ragnar. I have a hard time believing you could spend more than you would on an XVenture if you started with a mil surplus and paid to have others customize to your liking. You could probably add all the toys like RTT, power, water, and fridge and still have spent less than the Xventure.

That being said, if you can afford it and want it now, I can't imagine a better choice. I've only seen one in person at a show. It was an awesome trailer with options for just about everything I could imagine.

As I only had the want it now, and not the budget, I'm working on modifying a M101A3 to have similar capabilities as the XVenture. It will be years till I'm done. That being said, getting to do it yourself or with the help of more talented friends makes the wait worth it.

Don't forget to search for m1101 and m1102 trailers on govplanet. They are the same trailer despite different ratings on the data plate. The ratings have to do with the tow vehicle and how much weight can be pulled in the trailer depending on which HMMWV is pulling it.

slsbl77

Yes, we do have one....

We got our Venture 2 last April in Flagstaff. Tow it with a 2013 Jeep Unlimited. We love that trailer, had it out on 4 Trips so far and nothing but GOOD. We have taken it to Wisconsin once, San Juans (Silverton) once and southern Utah twice. We bought the full boat model with a James Baroud RTT, 120 watt solar, OBA, ARB fridge, everything we could get built in....
Sounds a bit much doesn't it...we wanted to have it NOW and GO. Life is short, we didn't want to take time to build and debug. If you want to just drive away, it is what you want.
Feel free to ask specific questions, all of our experience has been positive...we are very confident you'll love it.

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 358

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
As fun as it can be to build your own stuff and what not, if you got the funds, buy what you want.

But you should check out the Manley ORV stuff too. Kind of similar but it has it's differences. You'd have to see what the electric brake situation is on those. I'm not sure if they have them or not.

TwinStick

Explorer
The thing that keeps me from actually getting a M1102 military surplus, is the brakes. I don't think i can register it in NY State with surge brakes. Also, where the heck would you get parts for it ? Elec brakes are my choice. I am 51 yrs old. Tic-toc.

How is price ? $9999 +

water tank
prepped for elec
Largest JB RTT & frame/rack
tonneau cover
hot water
spare tire & carrier

^^^^^^^^^Would equal ?????????????????????????

would be about all the options i would want. I can add my own 12v battery system (i have not seen one up to my standards yet), inverter, LED lights, shore plug in, ARB dual air compressor, etc... . I use HD large gauge welding cable when i do battery stuff & solder my own lugs on. I own 2 Honda EU2000i generators, 1 would go with us.

I love the fact that it is full sized. Most current off-road trailers are T_I_N_Y. Multi use is important to me as well. Being able to put 4x8 sheets of whatever is a +. I love the fact that it is overbuilt & super HD. No matter how much it weighs when fully loaded, my truck will easily pull it. Not intending on super hard core wheeling with it, just way off the beaten path. Hunting & fishing, atv, dirtbike trips & camping as well.

Attention to detail is HUGE for me. I mean HUGE. IMHO, there is nothing worse than spending your hard earned money on something & seeing things mounted crooked, mis-drilled holes, wires/cables going through un-grommetted holes, screws tightened so much they crack plastic, plumbing crooked because they didn't want to use one more $1 45* fitting, etc, etc... . I say this because i know that SCHUTT IND themselves does not install all the options. I have watched all the videos many times, i found the closest place to me is in another state (NJ) that sells them. There is just not that many out there yet.

Bob: thanks for your input. I really appreciate feedback from an owner. I am hoping to retire in 5 years or so. Doing my homework now. Not sure if you are allowed to post name of place you got yours, but i would like to know, if you can & how was the attention to detail on yours ? One question: Can the 4 vertical uprights (both the outer & the inner) that support the RTT & frame be completely removed ? Wondering if i could make a "truck cap" type enclosure for it (only shorter) out of plywood, that i could take off/put on when needed ?

Thanks again for the input everyone !!!

Last edited:

Maxcustody

Explorer
Looks like a great option, have you checked other manufacturers? There are tons of options out there............

slsbl77

The attention to detail was one of the reason we bought it. The battery/solar is goal zero with Anderson connectors, you really have to see the system to appreciate it. The plumbing "plugs" are silicone. We got the under chassis camp lights, trailer box lights, and "kitchen" lights, all are LEDs. The uprights are adjustable for height over the tonneau cover and removable. We got the locking cover, there is a soft one. Electric brakes with independent emergency brakes, meaning you can lock one wheel and pivot around it if you need to. I got it from Schutt when there was no dealer.
No extraneous holes, no missteps. Really solid construction, we bounced ours through the White Rim trail, stayed overnight in the canyon in a thunder storm with high winds (40 MPH+), tent held up. After all the bouncing across the bad roads since then there are no rattles or shakes, not even the uprights. We're taking it to AZ soon, and then to S Utah in April to check out the Indian Ruins. Will take it over Elephant Hill.....
Then we're going to camp at Overland Expo in May. Yes, we are retired and doing what I've always wanted..
Bob

TwinStick

Explorer
Thanks Bob. Much appreciated. I want to be doing what you are doing someday soon. :drool:

Thanks for pic link Mark. :drool:

slsbl77

Twinstick, sorry to say I am away from my computer for a few days and cannot post any more pics. Mark seems to have found the mother load of pics for you. When I get home I will post pics of the electrics and some interior details.
Bob

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
If you have any questions or would like to see some Xventure trailers in person in the North-East feel free to email or call myself. We (OK4WD) are an Xventure authorized dealer from day one and have a ton of experience with the brand and trailers.

Thanks,
-Rin

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Xventures are great trailers. We've had very positive experiences with our test unit. The only reason I would ever tell someone to stay away from them is if their tow vehicle doesnt have a lot of power. Based on your trucks however I would say go for it. They're tough, spacious, and perfect if youre looking for a buy and go setup. Plus they have a pretty extensive dealer network for maintenance and parts which is nice when traveling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles