Anyone having issues with KO2's?

lenny6753

This has been my experience. First set of BFG KO2's(35x12.5x17) on my JKUR lasted approximately 2.5 years and almost 80,000 miles of mostly road wear. I religiously rotated them every 5000 miles and seldom needed to rebalance them. I recently(last 6 months) purchased a new set of the same tire and same size because the first set were great. This latest set not so much. They wear great and are quiet but I have had steering wheel shake and minor death wobble a couple of times since the new BFG's were installed. It took five(5) tries between Discount Tire and the shop where I have my work done on my Jeep before they were actually balanced. Once Discount Tire road force balanced them a second time all has been good. No more steering wheel shake or minor death wobble once they were balanced correctly. Just my 2 cents.

pittsburgh

tacocat
I have a set of KO's on my LJ.

It doesn't get driven much. I put an OME kit from DPG on it a few years back and had death wobble on the second drive. I called Dirk and asked him what did I do wrong. First question he asked was what tires do I have, I told him I was running BFG AT's. He very nicely asked me to get them balanced before we go crazy trouble shooting my death wobble. That weekend I got them balanced and the front end aligned and boom no more death wobble.

I am due for new tires and I am toying with the idea of leaving BFG behind. They have been my go to for 25 years, but now it might be time to try out some different brands like Falken, Cooper or Toyo.

jadmt

ignore button user
I have a set of KO's on my LJ.

It doesn't get driven much. I put an OME kit from DPG on it a few years back and had death wobble on the second drive. I called Dirk and asked him what did I do wrong. First question he asked was what tires do I have, I told him I was running BFG AT's. He very nicely asked me to get them balanced before we go crazy trouble shooting my death wobble. That weekend I got them balanced and the front end aligned and boom no more death wobble.

I am due for new tires and I am toying with the idea of leaving BFG behind. They have been my go to for 25 years, but now it might be time to try out some different brands like Falken, Cooper or Toyo.
all good choices. I have run more Toyo AT2 in all sizes from 265/75-16 to 35/12.5-17 and every size in between Toyo R/T in 35's again great tire. Toyo just got way too expensive and Les Schwab here had a lock on the market so no online dears could sell but I think that came to an end so probably more affordable now. I have run many sets of Coopers ST Maxx in 295/70-17, 285/75-17 and 315/70-17 and also 285/70-17 in AT3's. I love the ST Maxx's not so much the AT3. My only complainant with the ST Maxx's is they get loud as they wear. It goes from a nice quiet tire to ****** is that howling coming from. Very tough and long lasting tho for my uses. I am now running some Falkens for my winter tires and just run around tires when I don't need the 35's and when my Cooper 35's wear out I will be getting some Falkens in 35's. I hate not buying USA made tires but the 255/80-17 Falkens I am running are so dang nice and so cheap.

ratled

Adventurer
all good choices. I have run more Toyo AT2 in all sizes from 265/75-16 to 35/12.5-17 and every size in between Toyo R/T in 35's again great tire. Toyo just got way too expensive and Les Schwab here had a lock on the market so no online dears could sell but I think that came to an end so probably more affordable now. I have run many sets of Coopers ST Maxx in 295/70-17, 285/75-17 and 315/70-17 and also 285/70-17 in AT3's. I love the ST Maxx's not so much the AT3. My only complainant with the ST Maxx's is they get loud as they wear. It goes from a nice quiet tire to ****** is that howling coming from. Very tough and long lasting tho for my uses. I am now running some Falkens for my winter tires and just run around tires when I don't need the 35's and when my Cooper 35's wear out I will be getting some Falkens in 35's. I hate not buying USA made tires but the 255/80-17 Falkens I am running are so dang nice and so cheap.
jagmt on your AT3's how long ago was that? Where the they just the AT3s, the AT3 M4s or the AT3 XLT?

Thanks

jadmt

ignore button user
jagmt on your AT3's how long ago was that? Where the they just the AT3s, the AT3 M4s or the AT3 XLT?

Thanks
That was about 3 years ago and they were the standard version LT in C load AT3s before they came out with the other versions.

SBSYNCRO

I've got about 5,000 miles on my KO2s (315 x 17) on Quadratec Hardrock wheels and they just started vibrating a little after my last trip (which included a few hundred miles of washboard). I also have a "clicking" noise like a loose shock mount up front that I need to diagnose, but I'm assuming the rough travel that caused this probably also threw a tire weight. Its time to rotate and rebalance them anyway... Its something I've learned to expect from BFG KO tires after 20+ years of running them. I'm used to spending $59 a couple times a year for a rotate & balance job at the local tire shop. I also buy the $199 lifetime alignment. :)

86scotty

Cynic
I have a hunch it isn't your tires but it could be a combination of them and another small problem as many have eluded to above. Keep em balanced.

I'm not a K02 fanboy but I do think they are great tires and I've bought 4-5 sets in the last few years for a few different rigs. My best experience was about 50k on a Transit work truck that saw mostly highway use. Still, I'm going to gamble on Falkens next. Too many people are singing their praises for me not to give it a go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles