Anyone heard of Acela Trucks before?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hello All, just wanted to add my 2 cents. After many months of visiting different shops and trying to figure out what rig would be best for us to travel as much of the world as possible, the choice became pretty clear....you either buy a gasoline truck or an Acela LMTV that literally can burn any type of diesel fuel. This bodes well when cruising through countries that may not have LSD/ULSD! Further, Acela rebuilds these truck to brand new condition with may of the modern day comforts that is essential to long hours on the road...sure you can buy one at auction for a cheap price but most can never put the amount of time, quality and effort to make it a true global expedition truck. What sold us was the fact the air compressor system can keep the tires inflated with an approximately 1/4" hole in a tire!, also the fact the engine is a super simple design, and most importantly, Ross at Acela is great to work with...I feel our truck will be built like its his own.

Now for the camper build. We visited several shops: Sportsmobile, Earthcruiser, Overland Expo, and XP Camper, as well as months of research with different online companies. Our ultimate decision was XP Camper because of the personal attention that Marc provides to each build. His shop is still small enough to pay attention to the day to day operations where your camper will not be on an assembly line. Also if you have ever seen the type of aluminum boxes/bumpers etc that Marc builds you will be sold on his craftsmanship. I'm currently working with a 15' Cube design to be mounted on the Acela 4X4 chassis.

I know that Getrdun007 is building a 6x6 Acela with an XP Cube, so I/we/Marc all look forward to showcasing these 2 great builds at an upcoming overland event.

Please post pics of the cabin/finished combo here, thx.

Mamba2020

LMTV M1078 A1 vehicle description
Wheel base3900 mm (153")
Vehicle curb weight (no kits, crew, fuel)7809 kg (17216 lb)
Payload2268 kg (5000 lb) plus kits
Towed load5443 kg (12000 lb)
Maximum speed (governed, at gross weight)94 km/h (58 mph)
Range: 58 gal (219 L) nominal645+ km (400 + mi)
Maximum grade/side slope60%/30%
EngineCaterpillar C7 ATAAC (air-to-air after cooler) HD diesel, in-line 6-cylinder, 4-stroke-cycle.
Displacement7.2 L (441 cu in)
AspirationTurbocharged, air-to-air after cooler, EPA 07 certified.
Rating205 kW (275 hp) @ 2600 rpm
Torque1,166 Nm (860 lb-ft) @ 1440 rpm
Fuel typesDiesel, DF-2, JP-4, JP-8, VV-F-800.
TransmissionAllison 3700SP, fully automatic/select 7 speed, electronically controlled, full-time all-wheel drive.
Front wheels30% torque
Rear wheels70% torque
Overall axle gear ratio7.8 : 1​

zb39

Adventurer
Max speed is 58mph, you have to be kidding. Good luck on a cross country trip. I hope your retired..............

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Also unless they are swapping engines the ones in the surplus trucks are the 3116 (mechanics injection) or rarely the 3126 (electronic injection) not the C7.

And speaking from experience, without lockers they are easily stuck.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Just as an FYI for anyone with a C7 there is an upgrade to the HEUI system that includes another oil filter. May pay to check with Caterpillar regarding a retro fit. They don’t release something like this for a mothballed engine for no reason.

Just as an FYI for anyone with a C7 there is an upgrade to the HEUI system that includes another oil filter. May pay to check with Caterpillar regarding a retro fit. They don’t release something like this for a mothballed engine for no reason.
the 3116/3126? or the C7? The article says C7 are common rail.
BTW I enquired with Acela re a T30 2 spd transfer case and they answered in the affirmative, for a fair amount of money.

ScottReb

Adventurer
The LMTVs are available with the 3116, 3126 and the C7, just depends on the year. Plenty on the auctions sites and lots more details on steelsoldiers.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
the 3116/3126? or the C7? The article says C7 are common rail.
BTW I enquired with Acela re a T30 2 spd transfer case and they answered in the affirmative, for a fair amount of money.

They are common rail in that there is not separate injector lines from a pump. But the HEUI system provides the hydraulic boost for injection pressure. Same basic idea as the Ford/International 7.3 engines.

As for transfer cases I would recommend a Rockwell T1138 as it has overdrive on the high side which would alleviate the need to change diff rations.

They are common rail in that there is not separate injector lines from a pump. But the HEUI system provides the hydraulic boost for injection pressure. Same basic idea as the Ford/International 7.3 engines.

As for transfer cases I would recommend a Rockwell T1138 as it has overdrive on the high side which would alleviate the need to change diff rations.
The 1138 has a great 0.732 high range, rpm in top gear even with stock 7.8s would be only 2000 at 60.
However the 3700SP is designed for a married TC and I believe the 1138 is divorced. Also its’ torque rating is only 6500 ft-lb. 6.93 x 860 x 2(for torque converter) = 12000

Coachgeo

Explorer
The 1138 has a great 0.732 high range, rpm in top gear even with stock 7.8s would be only 2000 at 60.
However the 3700SP is designed for a married TC and I believe the 1138 is divorced. Also its’ torque rating is only 6500 ft-lb. 6.93 x 860 x 2(for torque converter) = 12000
correct..... it is divorced so one would have to change tranny too.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
This could be a whole thread of its own.

But yes it is divorced and you would need to swap the gearbox. This would be a major benefit anyway to remove the AWD and get the transfer case up higher. It would also make it a lot easier to get parts and service as there were many more 6 speed 3000 series Allison transmission made than the 7 speed.

As far as torque ratings. The military (M939 A2) run the T1138 behind the 8.3 Cummins with 240hp and 745 lb/ft. The 3116 is only 225 hp and 650 lb/ft so I think it would work in an Overland truck.

Yes but again remember 1st for FMTV is 6.93 and only 4.14 for the M900s . And Steel Soldiers is rife with accounts of T1138-11s “blowing up “

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online