Anyone heard of Acela Trucks before?

Coachgeo

Explorer
Yes but again remember 1st for FMTV is 6.93 and only 4.14 for the M900s . And Steel Soldiers is rife with accounts of T1138-11s “blowing up “
as too blowing up they are behind 8.3's.. not these smaller CATs. As too first.. does this T-Case T1138-11s have a low range that would drop all the gears lower (numerically higher)? On the 3700sp first is realistically more equivalent to 1st gear when a T-case is in low range. Only available in the FMTV's if in 4wd mode. 2cnd gear in 3700sp is more equivalent to first gear in a tranny with a Typical t case in 4wd high range or 2wd.

SootyCamper

LMTV M1078 A1 vehicle description
Wheel base3900 mm (153")
Vehicle curb weight (no kits, crew, fuel)7809 kg (17216 lb)
Payload2268 kg (5000 lb) plus kits
Towed load5443 kg (12000 lb)
Maximum speed (governed, at gross weight)94 km/h (58 mph)
Range: 58 gal (219 L) nominal645+ km (400 + mi)
Maximum grade/side slope60%/30%
EngineCaterpillar C7 ATAAC (air-to-air after cooler) HD diesel, in-line 6-cylinder, 4-stroke-cycle.
Displacement7.2 L (441 cu in)
AspirationTurbocharged, air-to-air after cooler, EPA 07 certified.
Rating205 kW (275 hp) @ 2600 rpm
Torque1,166 Nm (860 lb-ft) @ 1440 rpm
Fuel typesDiesel, DF-2, JP-4, JP-8, VV-F-800.
TransmissionAllison 3700SP, fully automatic/select 7 speed, electronically controlled, full-time all-wheel drive.
Front wheels30% torque
Rear wheels70% torque
Overall axle gear ratio7.8 : 1
Ouch only 5000lbs? Not much wiggle room for a camper build out.

Mamba2020

So, I hate to say it but I backed out at the last minute with my Acela/XP Camper build. As I was looking through these pages of trucks for sale, I came across a Mercedes 1017 with a GVX camper box, flew out to Colorado and bought the rig. All in all comparison, I think the 1017 is one of the best chassis you can travel with. I have it at a shop in Colorado where I'm doing some upgrades to my specs, then off to cruise the world in November 2019!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Spotted in Baja!

Attachments

• 49605971_1968093423244565_2702539052099305472_o.jpg
    49605971_1968093423244565_2702539052099305472_o.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 212

KatoBaggins

...XPCampers/Cube are by far both unparalleled by comparison in quality,craftsmanship,quality in customer relations/satisfaction,these two companies are a true innovative cut above and beyond the market competition in the overlaner expedition world.Bliss is very exspensive in European Union costs of over seas,GlobalX was not conducive in customer relations with me in a positive manner, too big to give me the time of day was how i was treated by the proprietors‼My money is just as good as anyone else’s.

I had the same thing happen to me this past weekend at Overland Expo May 2019 in Flagstaff. I will not purchase a GXV new or used. Don't want to ever have to deal with that company in any way. XPCamper was just the opposite. Great people to talk to and ask questions of. I felt like they were down to earth and interested in what I wanted. And besides that, the XP Cube actually was quite impressive. Much bigger inside than expected. I left Flagstaff with XP on the top of the list of companies I wanted to deal with. We'll be going to the factory to visit when our travels allow.

hitek79

Explorer
I had high hopes for Acela when I first saw them last year. I was pretty disappointed to see they dropped a $300k box on their rig. It seems like the margins are in the highest dollar buyer. How much is an XP box? I'd love to see a functional box for around $125k. Something livable, with no granite or tile backsplashes in sight.

I had the same experience last year KateBaggins. The GVX guy wouldn't even get out of his seat to answer a couple of questions I had.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I had high hopes for Acela when I first saw them last year. I was pretty disappointed to see they dropped a $300k box on their rig. It seems like the margins are in the highest dollar buyer. How much is an XP box? I'd love to see a functional box for around $125k. Something livable, with no granite or tile backsplashes in sight.

I had the same experience last year KateBaggins. The GVX guy wouldn't even get out of his seat to answer a couple of questions I had.

Our customers usually have a budged between 80-150.000 to built a complete truck.

DzlToy

Explorer
Having attended nearly a dozen 'offroad expo' type shows in the last decade, I can only say, "Cut through the hype, marketing and BS." Talk to current and past owners, ask for documentation on warranty and repairs, check the Better Business Bureau, visit the factory, open panels, pull the curtains back, talk to employees, ask for insurance company documentation, ask for supplier details, call those suppliers and on and on and on. You will see (relatively) quickly, as I did, that most "popular" companies build crap products, are riding on the 'overland' wave and are all too happy to take tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars for something that should cost 10-20% of that amount. There are months of reading available on this forum and nearly all of your answers lie within; you just have to go searching here or out in the real world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94